SA Bucket List Rides

shova1

With international leisure travel possibly not happening this year, and the probability of inter provincial travel opening soon(ish), perhaps it's time to plan a local destination visit you may not have been to before, either with your family or a couple of mates.

The idea is enjoy a new cycling experience & support the local tourism industry.

If you've done a local ride (non organised ride/race) you think could be on a Bucket List, here's the place to post it.

Details to include:

Location - and, is it point to point or start/finish at same place

Discipline - road, gravel, XC, enduro, etc

Distance - or ride time estimate

Difficulty - beginner, average rider, etc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calitzdorp to Prince Albert and back via Kruisrivier and the Swartberg pass.

Spend the night in PA.

Gravel

About 90km each way, tough ride there and easier ride back, neither for beginners.

post-50-0-49057400-1596557709_thumb.jpeg

Edited by eddy

More of a simple one, safe and non technical

George/Wilderness to Knysna along the 7 passes and back.  Some detours on the way back

About 90km each way - gravel, lots of climbing but easy enough depending on your pace.  Gravel bike heaven, MTB obviously and road bike doable if you are tough and like rattling around (not suggested)

Places to stay and food in abundance

NICE THREAD OP

Edited by Waynemol

This has been on my personal bucket list for a year now. Strongly considering doing it with a few friends as a weekend getaway in December (assuming we're allowed to by then). 

Initially thought of riding down from GP, partners tag a long as backup vehicle and meet us at the dorpies on the way, ride the pass and all drive back together as a few day trip. Alas, I doubt I'll have any takers from the limited pool of friends/family I have that would be willing and able to do that.

Location - Sani Pass

Discipline - MTB (its not gravel, dont try)

Distance - 50km - 6-8 hours

Difficulty - Moderate to difficult 

Calitzdorp to Prince Albert and back via Kruisrivier and the Swartberg pass.

Spend the night in PA.

Gravel 

About 90km each way, tough ride there and easier ride back, neither for beginners.

I'm ready

Details to include:

Location - and, is it point to point or start/finish at same place

Discipline - road, gravel, XC, enduro, etc

Distance - or ride time estimate

Difficulty - beginner, average rider, etc

Osseberg crossings? :ph34r:

:huh:

Location - Sani Pass

I was there this weekend. The bulldozers/road works are half way to the border post already. Though I think they only tarring up to the ZA side.

I was there this weekend. The bulldozers/road works are half way to the border post already. Though I think they only tarring up to the ZA side.

That doesn't seem very far then....We went up Sani pass (in a Sani nogal!) back in 2008 or 2009 and I think they were just kicking off with this project then I think?

Theres tar for a few kays past the Sani hotel and then prepped gravel .New retaining walls and a bridge over the lekker little stream that used to flow across the road. Then a bunch of bulldozers in the way, I couldnt drive past to go further. The road is churned up there. One could walk past where they are working for a bit and get back on the bikes and carry on.

(or wait till they finished and take a road bike up) :devil:

Edited by chainsaw

This has been on my personal bucket list for a year now. Strongly considering doing it with a few friends as a weekend getaway in December (assuming we're allowed to by then). 

Initially thought of riding down from GP, partners tag a long as backup vehicle and meet us at the dorpies on the way, ride the pass and all drive back together as a few day trip. Alas, I doubt I'll have any takers from the limited pool of friends/family I have that would be willing and able to do that.

We did it in Feb. as part of a Sani2Sea training camp. We also took our wife's, and they enjoyed the trip as well. They went up with the How family in their 4x4.

If you do not have people to join you, maybe this is not a bad option for you to do as part of the next Sani2Sea training camp. Nice big group. Not everyone went to the top.

Well, that sucks! It seems that riding the Sani pass (the proper, off road Sani pass) is looking as likely as seeing AC/DC live in concert some day... A case of too little too late.

Location - Sani Pass

Definitely a Bucket List ride! Glad you listed it. 

I've done this ride & was going to put it here, but requiring a border crossing, I'm not sure when borders might open for leisure....

Edited by shova1