Race Report: 2020 Witfontein Funduro

Christofison

:clap: Don't worry Bos, I practiced it on Friday evening in the wet, got it smooth, then took 2 wrong turns and a tumble in the 25m section on ACDC! hahaha :clap:

Some fun pictures... To be fair the climbing was pretty easy going. 

It is good gradient to effort gain and the gradient gain is well worth it. The different nature of the every stage was perfect. 

Stage 3 was killer. 

I love steeps so 4 and 5 had me jizzing all over my pants. I'd ride that top section from Cross to road all day if it was a local Cape Trail.

I cant imagine the pretty words coming out of your mouth at that stage  :D

I was just k@k sleg and thats the reason for my pain on the climbs, but I knew exactly what I was in for. Wouldnt have missed those downs for nothing though. 

I quite enjoyed S3, I enjoyed how it was not so obvious or easy to maintain speed, and then there was the dropoff. As you said though, "Cross downhill South". Those young guys ahead of us warned us to keep a look out for a steep bit as we pass the pilon. I was like, what steep bit..and then baaaah!!! :lol:  :lol:

I absolutely loved it. 

Walking up to S2, when the guys came rattling passed that top hike a bike section was also pretty intimidating. I was like, no way I'm going that fast! :D

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Nick. Sickest day I've had on the bike in a long time. So stoked that we were able to make the whole thing happen. Bringing an event to our locals is one thing, but seeing guys from our of town so stoked on our trails, just makes the effort all the more worthwhile.

What a super rad event. And the trails, wow the trails. Best in the WC except if Status Quo was there as well (and some sneaky off radar stuff). So glad we make a plan to go there at least once a year, but honestly it should be far more.

Also, at R200 a year for Hillbillies membership...I just bought a years membership. If you look at how much time and dedication has gone into that network over the years (even when I still lived there in 2011), all who entered should be considering a years membership as a donation :) It's half the cost of a single EWC event :)

Oh man, did I mention how good the trails were?! A-lines that gave you an actual advantage too! Sooooo good :)

Chris, you started something pal..

Thanks for this press release Nick!

Like I said, next year all the #influencers will be there hashtagging and high fiving the place.

I'm glad I got to go this year. Big crowds and the cool kids intimidate me enough to not pitch.

I also really like the photography tag.... While we were all trying not to DED, deds was taking pictures of us

Like I said, next year all the #influencers will be there hashtagging and high fiving the place.

I'm glad I got to go this year. Big crowds and the cool kids intimidate me enough to not pitch.

I also really like the photography tag.... While we were all trying not to DED, deds was taking pictures of us

Wahahaha, appropriate name :)

Do it again, but keep it a fun event IMO.

Anyway, will post here and around if we plan to head through again this year and next. Trails are good training for our Italy trip that is now happening next year, and there are a few good ones we missed out on that need doing. Jewie, I am sure we can wrangle a BMX for you, although that bike you were on wasn't much larger  :P

Thank you Nick. Sickest day I've had on the bike in a long time. So stoked that we were able to make the whole thing happen. Bringing an event to our locals is one thing, but seeing guys from our of town so stoked on our trails, just makes the effort all the more worthwhile.

This out of towner is frothing for an excuse to get back. Still running possible line choices and obstacles I missed through my head. Lots to improve on next time.

What's the 2021 date?  ;)

This out of towner is frothing for an excuse to get back. Still running possible line choices and obstacles I missed through my head. Lots to improve on next time.

Who needs a date, let's just pick a weekend and go :) Preferably as long weekend though.

I don't know if any of you did, but the night riding there...Wow, next level awesome!

Chris, you started something pal..

Thanks for this press release Nick!

It's a pleasure but it was mostly Chris and Ded's doing. I just did some cut'n'pasting and moved some photos around.

Thinking about making it a precursor to the EWC series, a practice race. 21st of March or 25th of April. Will confirm once the EWC dates are announced.

Wahahaha, appropriate name :)

Do it again, but keep it a fun event IMO.

Anyway, will post here and around if we plan to head through again this year and next. Trails are good training for our Italy trip that is now happening next year, and there are a few good ones we missed out on that need doing. Jewie, I am sure we can wrangle a BMX for you, although that bike you were on wasn't much larger  :P

I'm not sure I would want to ride some of that on a 20"..... 26" kids bike was a happy medium!

I'm with Nick. Line choices and some really bad 'race day bubble' mistakes cost me minutes. I would also like to come back and get a bit more comfortable on that top section of stage 4 and ACDC.

SO much to do!

Nick and I also got a very fun surf in at Vic Bay before heading home on Sunday. It was a proper action Barbie weekend

I'm not sure I would want to ride some of that on a 20"..... 26" kids bike was a happy medium!

I'm with Nick. Line choices and some really bad 'race day bubble' mistakes cost me minutes. I would also like to come back and get a bit more comfortable on that top section of stage 4 and ACDC.

SO much to do!

Nick and I also got a very fun surf in at Vic Bay before heading home on Sunday. It was a proper action Barbie weekend

Jew, did you see that your kids bike made the feature pic of our local newspaper article?

https://www.georgeherald.com/sport/article/Other/witfontein-funduro-mtb-202009301245

Jew, did you see that your kids bike made the feature pic of our local newspaper article?

https://www.georgeherald.com/sport/article/Other/witfontein-funduro-mtb-202009301245

YOH!!

It's the text book attack position that won me that cover shot.

I can get into it and hold it so perfectly because I'm going so slowly.....

Please stay humble and remember us grass-roots riders when you go pro.