Race Report: 2020 Witfontein Funduro

Christofison

YOH!!

It's the text book attack position that won me that cover shot.

I can get into it and hold it so perfectly because I'm going so slowly.....

That makes sense why the other photos by this journalist were blurry, but yours was so clear it made the feature pic  :lol: 

post-59129-0-58076600-1601541969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christofison

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sense why the other photos by this journalist were blurry, but yours was so clear it made the feature pic  :lol: 

attachicon.gifIMG_9960.jpg

Oi!!

hahaha

deds took some bangers. There is one of Potty flying over a place I am sure I skidded down.

If anything this weekend has made me want to ride my Mountain Bike more, which I'm 100% certain is the point to things like this.

Frothing hard for another visit

I'm not sure I would want to ride some of that on a 20"..... 26" kids bike was a happy medium!

I'm with Nick. Line choices and some really bad 'race day bubble' mistakes cost me minutes. I would also like to come back and get a bit more comfortable on that top section of stage 4 and ACDC.

SO much to do!

Nick and I also got a very fun surf in at Vic Bay before heading home on Sunday. It was a proper action Barbie weekend

All I keep thinking of was how excited yet intimidated I was hiking up to stage 2's start with riders (Pottie) tearing down that top bit of singletrack at warp speeds while the cries of "Rider" sent everyone diving like scenes from Hack Saw Ridge when fighter bombers flew overhead..

Considering the guy who dropped into stage 2 just before me pawned it on the white rocks 25m away from the start, did several rolly pollys and dedded, I dropped in really slowly and kept expecting the rolly polly monster to get me!

That stage was full gas and I was probably half gas. It intimidated me and filled me with the fear.

Yoh, the stoke is still high

Considering the guy who dropped into stage 2 just before me pawned it on the white rocks 25m away from the start, did several rolly pollys and dedded, I dropped in really slowly and kept expecting the rolly polly monster to get me!

That stage was full gas and I was probably half gas. It intimidated me and filled me with the fear.

Yoh, the stoke is still high

@Jew Hahah You talking about the rolly poly in your pants?

Listen Admin @Nick , I only just noticed you, or the devious Chris (joke) favoring the local riders snuck me out of the top 10 on the results sheet, this is BIG to me guys, what the heck happened? Please Explain yourself?  :rolleyes:

Trails look really fun, nice and natural with #rockslabs.

A lot of them are built, a lot of work put in, but emphasis kept on keeping them with only what is needed to allow a rider to progress, get creative and learn to handle their  bike properly. Not just sit in another berm. Yes, I saw the latest PP email.

Listen Admin @Nick , I only just noticed you, or the devious Chris (joke) favoring the local riders snuck me out of the top 10 on the results sheet, this is BIG to me guys, what the heck happened? Please Explain yourself?  :rolleyes:

No, you listen. I think it is a minor miracle that Chris and his team even produced results at their first enduro. So be grateful that your name even appears on a results sheet somewhere!

Can someone in the know please put the correct top 10 in this thread so I can correct the article? Thanks  :whistling:

No, you listen. I think it is a minor miracle that Chris and his team even produced results at their first enduro. So be grateful that your name even appears on a results sheet somewhere!

Can someone in the know please put the correct top 10 in this thread so I can correct the article? Thanks  :whistling:

They had some help preparing from ppl who have stuffed up using the app before, who in turn learnt from ppl who both stuffed it up and got it right before...So they were damn smart, learn from other peoples mistakes :)

Hahahaha  You made my day. I had to check If I got warning points from the Authorities there for a moment. 

Speaking of his team..Does anyone know If the kind underdressed gent with the staunch sidepath and the classic HT bike ever made it back to civilisation? That guy deserves a bells as he had the baptisim of Enduro/George peak fire last weekend..

@Jew Hahah You talking about the rolly poly in your pants?

They had some help preparing from ppl who have stuffed up using the app before, who in turn learnt from ppl who both stuffed it up and got it right before...So they were damn smart, learn from other peoples mistakes :)

Bos, I was also hoping that the results were wrong. Some ripper kid on a Blur finished in front of me.

Nick, we're pretty lucky that the timing worked out in the end. 3 of the 4 timers didn't pitch up on the day, so I had to call in some last minute favours while I was trying to register everyone. None of them had ever used the timing app before, so it's actually a mini miracle  :clap:

Thermophage. You gave us a big fright by giving us a timing sheet that had missing formula's. Luckily you were there to fix your own mistakes  :lol:  Then the timer at the end of stage 3 managed to assign everyone's time to the person who finished next. Was a mess, but stoked it all worked out in the end.

Edited by Christofison

Bos, I was also hoping that the results were wrong. Some ripper kid on a Blur finished in front of me.

Nick, we're pretty lucky that the timing worked out in the end. 3 of the 4 timers didn't pitch up on the day, so I had to call in some last minute favours while I was trying to register everyone. None of them had ever used the timing app before, so it's actually a mini miracle  :clap: 

Thermophage. You gave us a big fright by giving us a timing sheet that had missing formula's. Luckily you were there to fix your own mistakes  :lol:  Then the timer at the end of stage 3 managed to assign everyone's time to the person who finished next. Was a mess, but stoked it all worked out in the end.

Hahahah allll good :) you'd have figured it out easily enough. Hadn't looked at that spreadsheet in 2 years now :P Should probably have checked first  :whistling:

Hahahaha  You made my day. I had to check If I got warning points from the Authorities there for a moment. 

Speaking of his team..Does anyone know If the kind underdressed gent with the staunch sidepath and the classic HT bike ever made it back to civilisation? That guy deserves a bells as he had the baptisim of Enduro/George peak fire last weekend..

Kendon Sharp? With the Allan Gray lycra? He dropped in after the last rider and quickly realised that neither his fingers nor his brakes were working. His words: "By God's grace there was a dude who had ripped off his gears (derailleur), so I had to walk down with him".

On closer inspection of his wife's bike later that day, I found that the entire fork lowers, front brake caliper & hub were completely covered in fork oil  :eek:  considering that he isn't I rider, I was actually super impressed when he made it all the way down Stage 5 on the e-bike we were using for route marking the day before.

Edited by Christofison

We should definitely ask one of the DNF guys to do a race report.......  :ph34r:

Hey now, we were on Myles' arse like white on rice about coming though, but apparently we were too late in inviting some of the peeps (3 months was not enough notice :P). In his defence though, they has a trip postponed due to COVID so they had to reschedule and they did that early LD.

And besides, race report from a DNF is an interesting perspective :D

Edited by Thermophage

Hey now, we were on Myles' arse like white on rice about coming though, but apparently we were too late in inviting some of the peeps (3 months was not enough notice :P).

And besides, race report from a DNF is an interesting perspective :D

:lol:   :lol:   :lol: