Budget Trail Riding Gear

TyronLab

Been using two pairs of Fox shorts for about three years almost. I rotate them between days on my daily commutes, and then the weekend rides. The fit well, have not lost their shape and still look good with very nearly no wear on the seated areas.

They have also survived a couple of falls very well.

Tops are quick drying type t-shirts .. Mr P and believe it or not, Pep stores for the win. Pep stores also often have long sleeved tops

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. comfy shorts are essential. Doesn't matter what type they are as long as they are comfy.

Except lycra. That is never acceptable unless you're at the point end of the peleton

I see what you did there ..........

See, there's my problem, I need an education in radness as up until a moment ago I thought of throwing shapes as doing this to the tune of a Bump album (remember those?? Is Bump still a thing?):

giphy.gif

:clap:

Thanks for all of the inputs guys, keep 'em coming! I'll definitely check out Enjoy as that short seems pretty dope. Other than that, it seems its off to Mr. Price we go!

As an aside, I'm happy to carry all of the stuff I generally carry in my jersey pockets on my bike, I'm just not sure what to do with my phone. With my penchant for longer rides and falling over I'm concerned that I'll have an S9-shaped hole in my leg and a broken screen in short order if I keep it in my pants.

Funny you should mention bump.

Since 2014 my personal car has covered less mileage than my bikes as I've had company cars.

June this year I handed my company car back in order to save on perks tax and have been using the bike and personal car.

The other day I'm in my car and I'm trying to find something other than the rubbish radio stations to listen to, and what do I discover in the CD shuttle (yes my car is that old), a bump CD.

Throwing shapes...... whips, bar tweaks, scrubs, manuals/pumps etc..... Most of the above help control, speed etc. 

Do you even facetious bro? I should have Comic Sans'd. I was pretty handy back in the moto-x days of my youth, and I was getting there with the help of the dropper on my previous bike, but I'm still some ways away from being able to manual a set of rollers with true style (a-la Blake from GMBN). This new bike needs a dropper, badly, but see initial post in this thread regarding budget.

But in reality you can get whatever you like. Don't worry about grumpy middle aged men like me judging you. I rocked out Lycra HARD this morning on our early morning road loop.

Cape Union Mart is having a massive sale and they have some really cool quick dry/UV resistant button up checkered shirts going pretty cheap.... I can recommend those

Don't give a flying nutsack what the rest of the trail users think, this is purely a personal choice. There are plenty of matchy-lycra dudes that out-tech me on their worst days and plenty of fancy-biked, fancy-kitted ex-golfers that ride their Santa Cruz's on the trail's access roads more than the actual trail. I need to impress neither of those groups.

I'll definitely check out Cape Union Mart though, I used to wear flannel shirts almost exclusively so I'm no stranger to looking like a lumberjack (back when that was the defacto Metalcore-listener attire, along with the Justin-Bieber-before-Justin-Bieber-was-a-thing haircut which I thankfully could never achieve).

Fox Ranger shorts go on sale often, and are comfy and quick to fit. I got mine for R750 a while back.

One of the best things about the "trail riding look" is often I just throw on my helmet shorts and shoes and am out the door in 5 minutes. Rather than spending ages kitting and layering up, re-arranging my bits so I don't scare the children and stuffing things into the back of my cycle top that could potentially impale me.

Other thing is a comfy helmet that doesn't brake the bank. Personally the IXS ones agree with my head and wallet.

I facetious hard!

hahahaha

I too developed my love of flannel on the metal/punk scene. It makes me feel at home.

If you visit CT let us know. I also can't do all the things I mentioned above with much style so I would be happy to show you how not to be cool on the local trails!

Shows how little you know ... a 29'er tube works better!

Especially if you put just a small amount of air in it....

For shape....

Haha

Funny you should mention bump.

Since 2014 my personal car has covered less mileage than my bikes as I've had company cars.

June this year I handed my company car back in order to save on perks tax and have been using the bike and personal car.

The other day I'm in my car and I'm trying to find something other than the rubbish radio stations to listen to, and what do I discover in the CD shuttle (yes my car is that old), a bump CD.

Yawza! My last (and only) Bump CD was Bump 4 or Bump 5. I was all up in that peroxided hair, Hawaiian shirt, shark-tooth-necklace jam (I was 13 at the time so totally excusable).

I facetious hard!

hahahaha

I too developed my love of flannel on the metal/punk scene. It makes me feel at home.

If you visit CT let us know. I also can't do all the things I mentioned above with much style so I would be happy to show you how not to be cool on the local trails!

You have a deal! It'll be a pretty polarizing experience when I do get down there as I'll either be riding around with:

• A 380W FTP, 4th place 36One placing, Lycra clad, S-Works Epic riding beast (family member, buddy, and TransBaviaans teammate)
  • A flannel wearing, BMX-for-Argus riding, shredder beast (you)

Shows how little you know ... a 29'er tube works better!

Will all the girls laugh at you if you used a 26er tube (I'll let you ponder which intention of this joke I'm aiming at)

https://disfrutastore.co.za/collections/fox

And there's a 10% launch sale. Keep watch onedayonly they had dakine pads for like R399 i reckon they shuffle 1 every 2 months at most if they didn't all sell out

Begone heathen, begone! I've had the all-black Fox Ranger ensemble (lets be honest, the créme-de-la-créme of fancy rock 'n roll riding attire) in my cart for a while, but my stingyness refuses me to proceed past the "Chekout" button.

About 7 years ago I bought two pairs of Dakine shorts. They were expensive and I wasn’t earning too much at the time so it was a massive expense for me.

I still use them and I can’t even find a single loose thread anywhere. I imagine the Fox shorts would be the same. They e had their fair share of crashes too.

I can’t say the same for the board shorts I used before that. 6 months in and the bottoms became thin and stitches started popping.

For shirts I’m not picky. Anything that dries quick and ventilates well.

About 7 years ago I bought two pairs of Dakine shorts. They were expensive and I wasn’t earning too much at the time so it was a massive expense for me.

I still use them and I can’t even find a single loose thread anywhere. I imagine the Fox shorts would be the same. They e had their fair share of crashes too.

I can’t say the same for the board shorts I used before that. 6 months in and the bottoms became thin and stitches started popping.

For shirts I’m not picky. Anything that dries quick and ventilates well.

I also have a 6 year old dakine pant that refuses to die. It was plum, now it's just faded purple, and I stiched up a hole in the pockets, but its length is lekker and I'm not aware of it when riding, so it will be ridden in for a while still. I should get another one.