Budget Trail Riding Gear

TyronLab

I'm transitioning more and more into the trail / enduro (if you could call anything Enduro in GP) side of riding, and as a result I'm looking at getting some new kit to offer me a bit more protection from flora and my weekly meetings the ground (I love me a good front-wheel washout!).

I'm currently using:

• Old bib short
  • Fitted lycra road/XC type shirt
  • Normal casual cargo short over bib

While this doesn't work too bad, there are a few annoyances with this setup. The cargo short gets soaked with sweat pretty quickly that doesn't want to evaporate and rides down continuously as I transition between sitting and standing. Also, the toight XC shirt looks a bit dof with the baggy short and is pretty flimsy (easily gets caught on branches / shrubbery and offers no protection).

Now, I've been scouring online shops and bike shops, but can't justify spending R1200+ on a short and shirt that I wear once / twice a week (****, I can't justify it even if I wore it every bloody day), that is most likely going to get damaged / dirt stained pretty quickly.

Any suggestions on cheap alternatives to "proper" mtb kit? I've got a few pairs of bibs that I'm happy to wear with a second layer of clothing on top, so don't need to really worry about shorts being padded.

Open to suggestions / opinions.

TL:DR

How do you look like this:

Enduro-Trail-Shoe-Group-Test-Review-3-11

With a budget of this:

homeless-guy.jpg

Edited by TyronLab

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion for the shirt would be to look at other sports - specifically motorcross, as they have similar style of clothing. As cycling has turned into the new golf.

Not sure what the cycling specific shirts go for, as I'm still wearing a good old t-shirt :)

You might want to go size the shirts though as they are meant to be worn with armor underneath. Can get shirts from about R470 for MX ones.

https://bikerswarehouse.co.za/rider-accessories/?categories=7&sub-categories=18&SingleProduct=6187

Maybe even look at paintball suppliers or similar to get the "tactical" shirts as they are also nicely vented.

Edited by GhostSixFour

I use quick dry shorts, so I got some Boardies with pockets/walk shorts in boardie material. They work really well.

I tend to ride in any shirt, it doesn't bug me. My work shirt, golf shirt, whatever. Pointless dirtying something new when one is going in the wash anyway. But I think Trail Tech has some 3/4 sleeve 'endurobro' shirts going at reasonable prices.

The only way you 'look like that' is by throwing shapes and ripping. Dressing up in all the kit while not being able to manual properly or smash all the jumps/drops is just lame....  :ph34r:

The shorts are important as cotton gets heavy and formless and ill fitting when wet. The only other thing is a helmet with a removable chin bar.... Or a lightweight chin bar lid.

The rest is all just as lame as the guys who dress up in tight matching spaz kit to push 150 watts and walk the chicken lines.........  :whistling:

Edited by Jewbacca

Check out Anatomic for some budget shorts. Cant find the online store link now. They are on Beyers Naude drive. 

Clearance sections at MX or motorbike stores can get you some great deals on jerseys. I wish Full Throttle still had theirs in Edenvale. They had MTB specific shirts from Troy Lee at times for as little as R150.

The only way you 'look like that' is by throwing shapes and ripping. Dressing up in all the kit while not being able to manual properly or smash all the jumps/drops is just lame....  :ph34r:

OMG I'm lame  :clap:

Try Decathlon, they have MTB Baggies at a reasonable price, also, I think FOX has some shorts on sale at the moment, may be worth looking at.

I tried board shorts for a while, but they were to slippery.

For shirts, I get Mr Price Drisomethingorother shirts, cheap, light, and dry quickly.

When it is cold I use my old MX jerseys, gloves and knee brace socks, I look like a proper ****, but it is warm and comfortable

I ride in long sleeve running tops. Mr Price Sport and H&M actually has nice running kit every now and then.

I will invest in nice baggies though. Stretchy material with a crotch that is close to your actual crotch is what you want.

I use quick dry shorts, so I got some Boardies with pockets/walk shorts in boardie material. They work really well.

I tend to ride in any shirt, it doesn't bug me. My work shirt, golf shirt, whatever. Pointless dirtying something new when one is going in the wash anyway. But I think Trail Tech has some 3/4 sleeve 'endurobro' shirts going at reasonable prices.

The shorts are important as cotton gets heavy and formless and ill fitting when wet. The only other thing is a helmet with a removable chin bar.... Or a lightweight chin bar lid.

The rest is all just as lame as the guys who dress up in tight matching spaz kit to push 150 watts and walk the chicken lines.........  :whistling:

I am surely working towards doing a proper manual at my age but still enjoying it, I do wear knee guards because the grazes is just not worth it, maybe I can not ride properly yet.

Good shorts are #1.

You can get reptilia shorts from Enjoy for R585 if you aren't too fussy about the color. I have a pair in black and they are the best riding shorts I've ever owned. Great cut. just the right amount of stretch. Yes they don't have the cache of TLD or Fox but they are great and I'll buy more.

No liner tho but that's what your old bibs are for right?

https://enjoy.cc/product-category/mens/ride/shorts-bibshorts/

The ciovita ones are also nice but are around R1300. But a really nice pair of riding shorts. I reckon you can even wear them casually and not feel like a total turd.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I am surely working towards doing a proper manual at my age but still enjoying it, I do wear knee guards because the grazes is just not worth it, maybe I can not ride properly yet.

Knee guards are a solid thumbs up from me....

I just like to gripe about all the enduro bro's who mock the XCO/Roadies for their lycra but then all dress just as obsessively in their matchey kit.

Really I'm just a sour middle aged man!

I ride in long sleeve running tops. Mr Price Sport and H&M actually has nice running kit every now and then.

I will invest in nice baggies though. Stretchy material with a crotch that is close to your actual crotch is what you want.

agreed. comfy shorts are essential. Doesn't matter what type they are as long as they are comfy.

Except lycra. That is never acceptable unless you're at the point end of the peleton

The problem with expensive gear is that they're destroyed, by a fall or snagged on thorn trees, just as easily as non-expensive gear.

Regular scouring of the interwebs and lbs will land you some good kit at a better price. Just takes a little longer.

Edited by keithbe

See, there's my problem, I need an education in radness as up until a moment ago I thought of throwing shapes as doing this to the tune of a Bump album (remember those?? Is Bump still a thing?):

giphy.gif

:clap:

Thanks for all of the inputs guys, keep 'em coming! I'll definitely check out Enjoy as that short seems pretty dope. Other than that, it seems its off to Mr. Price we go!

As an aside, I'm happy to carry all of the stuff I generally carry in my jersey pockets on my bike, I'm just not sure what to do with my phone. With my penchant for longer rides and falling over I'm concerned that I'll have an S9-shaped hole in my leg and a broken screen in short order if I keep it in my pants.

See, there's my problem, I need an education in radness as up until a moment ago I thought of throwing shapes as doing this to the tune of a Bump album (remember those?? Is Bump still a thing?):

giphy.gif

:clap:

Thanks for all of the inputs guys, keep 'em coming! I'll definitely check out Enjoy as that short seems pretty dope. Other than that, it seems its off to Mr. Price we go!

As an aside, I'm happy to carry all of the stuff I generally carry in my jersey pockets on my bike, I'm just not sure what to do with my phone. With my penchant for longer rides and falling over I'm concerned that I'll have an S9-shaped hole in my leg and a broken screen in short order if I keep it in my pants.

Bump - was that the rave mix cd?.... I'm of the Monster hits era.....

Those Enjoy shorts are rad. I have a pair from The U and I wear them the most. I put my phone in the little zip pocket just below the waist loop on them. Works like a dream.

Throwing shapes...... whips, bar tweaks, scrubs, manuals/pumps etc..... Most of the above help control, speed etc. 

But in reality you can get whatever you like. Don't worry about grumpy middle aged men like me judging you. I rocked out Lycra HARD this morning on our early morning road loop.

Cape Union Mart is having a massive sale and they have some really cool quick dry/UV resistant button up checkered shirts going pretty cheap.... I can recommend those

Bump - was that the rave mix cd?.... I'm of the Monster hits era.....

Those Enjoy shorts are rad. I have a pair from The U and I wear them the most. I put my phone in the little zip pocket just below the waist loop on them. Works like a dream.

Throwing shapes...... whips, bar tweaks, scrubs, manuals/pumps etc..... Most of the above help control, speed etc. 

But in reality you can get whatever you like. Don't worry about grumpy middle aged men like me judging you. I rocked out Lycra HARD this morning on our early morning road loop.

Cape Union Mart is having a massive sale and they have some really cool quick dry/UV resistant button up checkered shirts going pretty cheap.... I can recommend those

then you too can look like a lumberjack Myles