Mid vs High end vs Ultra High end

James Dunn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a bit of a check.  The components I can upgrade on my bike is as below.  I also list a R/gram figure to identify most cost effective weight drops:

1.) Brakes from XT to XTR, 61g loss, ~ R 137 /gram

2.) Rear Derailure XT to XTR, 37g loss  ~ R 95 /gram

3.) Cranks, RF Turbine to Next, 183g loss  ~ R 40 /gram

4.) DT Competition to Rapide bladed spokes, 110g loss  ~ R 7 /gram

5.) DT Alloy rims to Rapide rims, 170g loss ~ R 11 /gram

6.) Brake rotors XT to new XTR, 102g loss ~ R13 /gram

7.) Conti tyres to Fredestein, 145g loss ~ R 11/gram

Clearly the most cost effective place to spend money is on my wheels.  Brakes & rear derailure, simply not worth the money, cranks maybe.

Hope this give someone else also some insights.

Edited by Theog

I did a bit of a check.  The components I can upgrade on my bike is as below.  I also list a R/gram figure to identify most cost effective weight drops:

1.) Brakes from XT to XTR, 61g loss, ~ R 137 /gram

2.) Rear Derailure XT to XTR, 37g loss  ~ R 95 /gram

3.) Cranks, RF Turbine to Next, 183g loss  ~ R 40 /gram

4.) DT Competition to Rapide bladed spokes, 110g loss  ~ R 7 /gram

5.) DT Alloy rims to Rapide rims, 170g loss ~ R 11 /gram

6.) Brake rotors XT to new XTR, 102g loss ~ R13 /gram

7.) Conti tyres to Fredestein, 145g loss ~ R 11/gram

Clearly the most cost effective place to spend money is on my wheels.  Brakes & rear derailure, simply not worth the money, cranks maybe.

Hope this give someone else also some insights.

at 808g total the most cost efficient place to spend money is not to spend it on food/beer for a week LOL

at 808g total the most cost efficient place to spend money is not to spend it on food/beer for a week LOL

:D So true !  I have about 2 complete bicycles weight that I can loose ... LOL.

spoken like a late 20 something(?) year old. :P

I used to vehemently agree with your sentiment, lord knows i never even held a baby untill i was 30 haha . All i'll say is that people and priorities change. but to each his own. 

My wife and I are early 40s and we still have the same no-kids policy we've always had...

My wife and I are early 40s and we still have the same no-kids policy we've always had...

and there is nothing wrong with that, dont let society pressure you into doing something you dont want to

Ja.. sjoe.

The wife and I ummed and Ahhed about whether to become breeders. It was a big decision with the state of the world, how SA was looking etc but in 2018 we pulled the trigger. I'm essentially an 'older' 1st time kid producer so it was timeous.

My business was cruising, I went to World Champs AR on Reunion, we painted and renovated the house, got baby room ready etc...

2019 was more of the same, baby arrived in August and so we worked on less sleep, made it through season and through good planning, I had 3 bar worth of really good work lined up between Feb and June.

That obviously never happened, so with a 6 month old baby, we went from a well established, decent earning house to zero income over night.

My wife has been paid R6800 zar in total by her employers since March. WTAF.

Luckily we have super low overheads with no debt or credit besides the house and medical/stuff insurance. We as a company started trading again 2 weeks ago and sjoe... It is a welcome relief to see some cash flow. But the damage is done and whether or not we can sustain our staff and be busy we will only really see in December/jan and into what would usually be 'high season' Feb to April.

So while you make the right decisions, take risks, get your business going and feel like a self made king, sometimes you still land up getting the s**t kicked out of you! hahaha

I don't get breeders who clearly can't support their situation, but my advice would be to make sure you are VERY certain you want to put that strain on yourself financially, emotionally and regards your relationship.

I believe it is 100% worth it as my little dude brings me more joy than any bike, any ride, any toy.

But having really lived prior to becoming a dad I have nothing left to prove so can really be at peace with being with him, there for him and not think 'I should be out riding/traveling/drinking/whatevering'

I think that makes a huge difference too.

But what do I know, mine is still a freshie who can't even make sentences yet! 

spoken like a late 20 something(?) year old. :P

I used to vehemently agree with your sentiment, lord knows i never even held a baby untill i was 30 haha . All i'll say is that people and priorities change. but to each his own. 

the most important part of your post is each to his own

No one is pouring scorn on those who make a choice to breed but many don't and that should be respected

Ja.. sjoe.

The wife and I ummed and Ahhed about whether to become breeders. It was a big decision with the state of the world, how SA was looking etc but in 2018 we pulled the trigger. I'm essentially an 'older' 1st time kid producer so it was timeous.

My business was cruising, I went to World Champs AR on Reunion, we painted and renovated the house, got baby room ready etc...

2019 was more of the same, baby arrived in August and so we worked on less sleep, made it through season and through good planning, I had 3 bar worth of really good work lined up between Feb and June.

That obviously never happened, so with a 6 month old baby, we went from a well established, decent earning house to zero income over night.

My wife has been paid R6800 zar in total by her employers since March. WTAF.

Luckily we have super low overheads with no debt or credit besides the house and medical/stuff insurance. We as a company started trading again 2 weeks ago and sjoe... It is a welcome relief to see some cash flow. But the damage is done and whether or not we can sustain our staff and be busy we will only really see in December/jan and into what would usually be 'high season' Feb to April.

So while you make the right decisions, take risks, get your business going and feel like a self made king, sometimes you still land up getting the s**t kicked out of you! hahaha

I don't get breeders who clearly can't support their situation, but my advice would be to make sure you are VERY certain you want to put that strain on yourself financially, emotionally and regards your relationship.

I believe it is 100% worth it as my little dude brings me more joy than any bike, any ride, any toy.

But having really lived prior to becoming a dad I have nothing left to prove so can really be at peace with being with him, there for him and not think 'I should be out riding/traveling/drinking/whatevering'

I think that makes a huge difference too.

But what do I know, mine is still a freshie who can't even make sentences yet! 

I had a vasectomy at 31  - that's how convinced I was that I was never bringing a child onto this planet as was my wife.  Also I'm incredibly selfish and impatient so not great dad material

But my life changed when she died in a car accident and I then met someone else with an 18month old daughter then. But she came with an awesome dad so there's 3 of us paying the bills.

Kids definitely mellow you and teach you patience

Edit...lost my way a bit and I think my point was older Dad's make pretty good dads.

Edited by Waynemol

I had a vasectomy at 31  - that's how convinced I was that I was never bringing a child onto this planet as was my wife.  Also I'm incredibly selfish and impatient so not great dad material

But my life changed when she died in a car accident and I then met someone else with an 18month old daughter then. But she came with an awesome dad so there's 3 of us paying the bills.

Edit...lost my way a bit and I think my point was older Dad's make pretty good dads.

Sorry for your loss.

I was 36 with my first son and the age did help as i had more patience.We weren't ready for kids and had things we wanted to do first.

Sorry for your loss.

I was 36 with my first son and the age did help as i had more patience.We weren't ready for kids and had things we wanted to do first.

thanks

36 is young

My mate fancied himself quite the Cassanova roaming the planet with his surfboards breaking hearts on several continents - good looking guy and eventually got married at 47 to a much younger woman.  She promised she didn't want kids and I laughed hard because I smelt a rat, comes from a big loving happy family.

First kid at 51, second at 53.  He's super happy with his kids and a great dad.  Ruined his marriage mind you so he'll be paying maintenance into his 70's

Edited by Waynemol

I'm so sorry.

That is hectic. I lost my 1st 'serious' girlfriend in a car crash that we had. It is bad enough so I can't imagine how losing your wife must be. 

I agree on the 'older' dad part. I think as long as you are still fit and active, the mental space that comes with experience makes a huge difference.

That being said, one of the best dads I know had his daughter when he was 17. He has devoted his entire adult life to her and they both thrive.

But there are always exceptions to the rule..

Wow. I have no words to express myself with happened. I can only say I'm terribly sorry. 

I lost a very serious girlfriend through suicide very early on in my life.

Later on I dated a girl with a 3 year old I think. Playing dad for a few months was fun but then the kid would start throwing his toys and I was out of there. I just can't deal with kids. It's not something I think I will ever develop.