Cyclist pulled from bike by pedestrian in Hermanus

Pieter-za

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/cyclist-pulled-from-bike-by-pedestrian-in-hermanus/#

Video

Published by Anita Froneman on 

September 13, 2020

A video taken by security cameras in Hermanus shows a cyclist being pulled from his bicycle by a pedestrian for no apparent reason on Saturday, September 12.

The cyclist can be seen on his way to a four-way crossing, passing a group of pedestrians when one of them grabs the rider from behind and he falls off his bicycle

He gets up, seemingly disorientated and then tries to chase the culprit, but the group runs off. Motorists who witnessed the incident stop and can be seen speaking to the man.

Residents are urged to remain cautious when cycling or hiking, even during daytime and in busy areas. Always be alert and aware of your environment, keep to designated pathways and keep valuables out of sight.

The Pedal Power Association lists some valuable general tips for cyclists to keep in mind:

– Ride defensively but decisively: Follow the K53 principles and keep a clear space around you. Make it easy for a driver to anticipate what you are going to do (eg stopping your bicycle, turning left or right, etc) so that he/she can act accordingly. Ride in a straight line without swerving unnecessarily fromside to side.

– Wear gloves. It improves grip on the handlebars, and may save some skin should you get into contact with the tar (most cyclists put their hands out to break a fall).

– Use lights (a steady white light in front and a flashing red light at the back) if you ride in the dark, dawn or dusk. In fact, consider having a flashing red rear light at all times, even in the middle of the day.

– Always carry identification with you. Programme the details of your next-of-kin into your cellphone under ICE (In Case of Emergency). Carry your medical aid details with you, if applicable. Have identification both on your bicycle and on your person, should you get separated.

– Do not use a phone while riding. You need to be able to hear approaching traffic, or other cyclists who may be warning you about a problem.

In case of an accident, report it to the nearest police station as soon as possible.

You can also send the Association an email with the following information:

Date of incident

Time of day

Venue/place

A brief description of what happened

Your contact details

Picture: Screenshot from video

Edited by Pieter-za

Could be the guy possibly considered robbing the guy, but then changed his mind it seems due to the cars that actually stopped.

Just so damn unnecessary

I also reckon it was a spur of the moment robbery as the one gent is clad in a balaclava( i doubt highly for covid reasons) and it didn't work cause the guy on the bike was up in a sec, the guy in the land cruiser almost scored some points but maybe better he didn't or he would have been in hot water SA you know...

The Hub jury must still be asleep this morning.  Nobody blasted the cyclist for not stopping at a 4-Way Stop.

None the less, glad the guy is ok and glad that motorists quickly acted as that is the reason those guys ran.

It is sad to see that even in the platteland it is unsafe to do sport at the current rate.

The Hub jury must still be asleep this morning.  Nobody blasted the cyclist for not stopping at a 4-Way Stop.

None the less, glad the guy is ok and glad that motorists quickly acted as that is the reason those guys ran.

It is sad to see that even in the platteland it is unsafe to do sport at the current rate.

It only took six posts !!

On form!

Edited by porqui

Ja, ride defensively....let those pedestrians go on by before you get too close and intersect at the same time and unfortunately he took his eye off them as well when he passed (to check oncoming traffic as he didn't stop?)...Anyway easy to say in hindsight but ja, Its so easy to pull/push someone off a bike as they go by, these guys have the upper hand as they know what they are about to pull off. 

I also thought he was just being a knob, as if to say - why didn't you stop for me crossing the road right in front of you.

Odd scene. 

Would have made for a very different story if that chap was run over and injured/killed, which was pretty close.

Yeha that for sure looks like an attempt but then playing it cool once the fortuner stopped so quickly... It was dead quiet when he made the attempt and then all of a sudden cars all around and willing to stop.... Assholes..

I always wait for someone to try and push me off my bike when I ride past pedestrians. It's so easy. Hasn't happened yet though.