MTB Tyre Combo's

CobusD

To add to what youre saying went on a standard 18km ride (Usual weekly track) and just that tyre change on the loose sand and a lot of corners took off 2min of the ride time for the approximate same effort. Not a note worthy science test but still pretty decent

It is when you go to the 2.35 tyres when things get really interesting and Maxxis are not that much lighter and the I find the grip and puncture protection superior with Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal almost making it the logical choice. (still up to personal preferance)

Below are actual scale weights:

Maxxis

Ikon 29x2.35 - 748g

Forecaster 29x2.35 - 734g

Ardent 29.2.40 - 774g

Vittoria

Barzo - 29x2.35 (graphene 2.0) - 740g

Mezcal 29x2.35 (Cape Cobra) - 760g

I personally like Scwhalbe tyres more but have not fully found the characteristics and weights in their range as the Barzo/Mezcal combo - Also the casing volume on their 2.25 Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron or Racing Ray to be low. Nobby Nic has better casing volume in the same sizing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Vittoria Barzo 2,35 front and Saguaro 2,2 rear.

Out of interest, I see people are using the Mezcal on the rear - major differences between the Mezcal and the Saguaro as a rear tyre?

If you do a compaarison on:  https://www.vittoria.com/eu/saguaro-xc.html

It seems the Mezcal is quite better on mixed terrain, loose, wet and hard terrain although about 70 grams lighter for the same 29" tyre with similar dimensions.

The Mezcal also has the new 4 rubber compounds and improved sidewalls

Re measured my new 2.35 Barzo and Mezcal they now measure 62.5mm on the 29mm ID rims @ 1.55bar front and 1.7bar rear. I did the 3.5bar over night and put the wheels in the lovely sunshine all day yesterday as to get max casing volume.

Since I have swopped to a more XC type downcountry bike I wanted max cush from the rubber.

Edited by s14phoenix

• 1 month later...

I changed from stock crossmark 2's 2.25 front and rear to icons 2.35 front and rear. Bike shop suggested i do this as i am old school, hard tail, i will have a comfier ride. My thoughts after 1 week of 20kay rides.

I am not sure if i am getting brain freeze but it feels as if my bike is slugish compared to when i had the 2.25's. BUT, when i look at my stats it shows the same stats, so it must be all in the head.

The 2.35 is like riding on air almost, its weird, its a complete different experience. On long climbs i feel slower, but am i.....i think its playing mind games with me.

On downhills, o my word! it feels as if i have a semi dual suspension, it is insane how a slightly larger tyre simply floats over everything. If i am losing time on uphills i am sure i am gaining it on the downhills.

I like the 2.35 front and rear as my hard tail is not so hard anymore, if this makes sense.

Doing my first 43km race this weekend on this new set up, keen to see how it shapes out.

PS, i did weight the icons 2.35 and then the 2.25 ikons, i could swear they weigh the same give or take 10grams.

In my previous post in this thread I raved about the Hans Dampf's. I still rate them as excellent tyres but I discovered something that works a little bit better for my riding style. 

I tore the sidewall on the rear and replaced the set with Onza Ibex 29x2.4 FRC.

The past weekend I managed to test them on loose over hard pack, damp, wet, muddy conditions. My findings. 

• Really good in the dry. Hooks up well and is super predictable. I was caught out in a few corners where the Schwalbes would start drifting. 
  • Excellent in damp, soft soil. 
  • In wet and muddy conditions they faired pretty well. Really good mud shedding and the grip is good enough to not have the bike slide too much. 
  • Rolling speed is pretty good. Definitely faster than the Schwalbes. I found myself to be less fatigued in wet and damp conditions where I would normally feel "held back"
  • Good price at R850 a tyre. Beats paying R1195 for the Schwalbes
  • The 2.4 is a true 2.4 in width. 

So far so good. 

I am confidant on Barzo 2,35 front and Ikon 2,35 rear .Good volume and i run them on 1,8 bar .Seems to be the best combo for me .I also have a Nobby nic front and ikon rear bike that works really well in all but tar conditions 

I am confidant on Barzo 2,35 front and Ikon 2,35 rear .Good volume and i run them on 1,8 bar .Seems to be the best combo for me .I also have a Nobby nic front and ikon rear bike that works really well in all but tar conditions 

1.8 Bar is very hard for such a high volume tyre!

Pirelli Scorpion S front

Pirellii Scorpion R Rear

or

Pirelli Scorpion H XC front and rear for racing

Pirelli Scorpion

budget training tyres

Kenda Booster Pro SCT 2.4 (they come up narrower than the Pirelli and the rubber is harder so not ideal for wet conditions

Vittoria 4 compound casings are good but they loose the softer rubber quickly and then the grips gone :(

Pirelli Scorpion S front

Pirellii Scorpion R Rear

or

Pirelli Scorpion H XC front and rear for racing

Pirelli Scorpion

budget training tyres

Kenda Booster Pro SCT 2.4 (they come up narrower than the Pirelli and the rubber is harder so not ideal for wet conditions

Vittoria 4 compound casings are good but they loose the softer rubber quickly and then the grips gone :(

what width Scorpion are you currently using?

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

I want to run a maxxis aggressor as a front tire and a victoria barzo as a rear tire

Will it work?

I think you mean Vittoria and not Victoria... LOL...

Most people (myself included) run the BARZO as a front tyre and the Mezcal as a rear...

Cape Cobra editions only...

Hi guys

I want to run a maxxis aggressor as a front tire and a victoria barzo as a rear tire

Will it work?

Can't comment on the Barzo, but looks fine for a rear tyre. Definitely won't stick it on the front of aything but an XC bike.

The aggressor is designed as a rear but it works beautifully as a front in SA conditions. Very predictable and consistent grip. Rolls fast too.

1.8 Bar is very hard for such a high volume tyre!

It is and it isn't...

In Summer in Cape Town I run my 2.3/2.4 MTB tires at 1.8 bar.

The trails are blown out, rocky and exposed.

The extra 2 seconds I would gain running softer isn't worth the risk of pinch flats and destroyed rims. At 1000zar a tire and even more for a rim I'm happy to 'lose' performance and keep myself rolling.

In winter I might drop the pressures to 1.6 on the front and 1.7 on the rear. 

I'm also 75kg, so I'm not a heavy. As someone who is not a pro but has years and years of experience, I choose reliability over gainz.