What would you replace your bike with ?

The Ouzo

I was thoroughly enjoying my bike yesterday, everything just felt right, and it got me thinking.

Should something happen, and the bike needs replacement, using only the insurance payout, what would you replace your current bike with ?

Now my bike is nothing fancy, but I immedeatly thought of replacing with like for like. Only, I have made a few customisations like carbon bars, different saddle and then there is also the Garmin plus sensors. Which got me thinking if the insured amount would be enough.

So would you replace with the new model of what you have ? would you need to bargain down the new bike in order to fit in the customisations ?

This is all hypothetical of course, just a fun discussion.

After my last set of upgrades I'm definitely upping my insurance. 

If I lose this bike I will cry a lot and then replace it with exactly the same spec. Maybe just the V3 frame instead of the V2.

Road Bike:

I would upgrade to a frame that would allow me to run gravel tyres when the itch strikes, currently limited to 27mm actual width before rubbing becomes an issue.

Disc brakes are not essential at this stage, would be nice-to-have.

I'll stick with my tried and tested saddle.

Otherwise, not married to the brand, but if I can stick to similar model it would remove some uncertainties. Components should just work reliably.

MTB:

Functional Dual Susser is enough for all my needs.

I'd likely replace my road bike 100% like for like (Canyon Ultimate) although the Aeroad would be very tempting as well seeing as I've started doing triathlons since I bought the bike (and the weight penalty is only like 300g).

I'd replace my Scott Spark with something more race oriented like an RC, Canyon Lux, Spez Epic etc.

I'd also change out my enduro bike (Canyon Strive) for something similar but different. Probably a Canyon Spectral.

Yes, I am a huge Canyon fan in case anyone hadn't noticed...

An Italian super model, but then, Mrs DJR will ensure that I don't have to worry about stuff like longevity retirement and old age.

I was thoroughly enjoying my bike yesterday, everything just felt right, and it got me thinking.

Should something happen, and the bike needs replacement, using only the insurance payout, what would you replace your current bike with ?

Now my bike is nothing fancy, but I immedeatly thought of replacing with like for like. Only, I have made a few customisations like carbon bars, different saddle and then there is also the Garmin plus sensors. Which got me thinking if the insured amount would be enough.

So would you replace with the new model of what you have ? would you need to bargain down the new bike in order to fit in the customisations ?

This is all hypothetical of course, just a fun discussion.

If I had to replace with the new model of my current bike, I would have to pay more than double than what I paid. 2017 Scott Spark RC900 Pro I got for R54 900,00 new a few years back. The 2021 model is R114 999,00.

It will be very difficult to get a bike with the same specs as my bike for the insurance payout amount.

Edit: Sh*t I need to get my insurance sorted out again.. cars are over insured, MTB under insured..and my roadbike is not even on my insurance at the moment!  :eek:

Edited by JohanDiv

I would cry a lot...

then cry some more - nothing replaces a custom built where every part was selected. I cannot begin to fathom what I would buy... I replaced my mountain bike recently and I still wish I had my old bike where everything was just dialled to your style, liking, comfort.

same goes for my road bike

I would cry a lot...

then cry some more - nothing replaces a custom built where every part was selected. I cannot begin to fathom what I would buy... I replaced my mountain bike recently and I still wish I had my old bike where everything was just dialled to your style, liking, comfort.

same goes for my road bike

Post pics of your current bikes.

they have even grown names - given by my wife...  :thumbup:

Roadbike - "The b!tc#" - no matter how much money and time you spend she is never happy and laughs at your "try hard" effort

Old mtb - "the Nymphomaniac" - same story but she at least seem to enjoy every moment with uncontrollable desire for more - never satisfied fully.

New mtb is the same but just costs more...

Edited by s14phoenix