Pyga arrogance / bad service [resolved]

DMJ

Pyga deal directly with the public (they have a hybrid model where you buy from them but they deliver through a bike shop), Toyota do not. So in this case they should supply the bike shops with a demo model for clients to test or ship to an LBS when the model is needed.

Car dealerships also do not supply demo models, the factory give it to them as consignment stock, when they sell the demo model they pay that across to Toyota / Ford / brand SA. In fact, most stock on their floor is not even their stock - it's there on consignment from the group they belong to. That is why I can walk into Barloworld Toyota in Cape Town and buy a model sitting on the floor in Durban if it is specced the way I want it.

Dealerships buy their own stock and demos. (well for most brands, there may be some that work differently)

Stock gets sold between dealerships at cost prices, this is why you can buy a car that is sitting on another dealerships floor, mutual agreements between dealers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the market for a new bike recently and was very interested in the Pyga stage.

I contacted Pyga to see if it was possible to visit their Howick factory at any point and try out a Pyga Stage. I was advised by them that it was not.

Not only did they not have any bike that I could try (i.e. not even get on and ride around the car park) but they advised me that they have no intention of getting any more demo bikes, and they would be selling all their Stage models as

new stock.

I asked if this was because the Mobu is forthcoming and the Stage was being phased out. They said the Mobu is nowhere close to being released and they would be selling the Stage at least for another 2 years.

They had no demo bikes anywhere in KZN that I could try and nor could they arrange one for me to try. Despite being local and wanting to support local, I found them to be arrogant and their service to be poor.

Their attitude was effectively if I wanted to try a Stage I would need to buy a new one and then I could get to try it.

Having been disappointed with them, I went with a large tried-and-tested international brand and I managed to get a high-end bike for a great price. The retailer also allowed me to try out the bike first, threw in a bunch of extras and their customer service has been phenomenal. I am very happy with my purchase.

I believe Pyga is now focusing on the (much larger) international market, which makes sense. But they seem to have forgotten about being good to the local market.

Full disclosure - I am a pyga owner, and have dealt with Pat and the guys many times over the years.   I have no other connection to the team of guys or the company, other than being a big fan of their homegrown success and awesome products while others in SA moan and whine

on tuesday of this very week i discovered a crack on my 4yr old Pyga Stage chainstay and send a pic to hilton at pyga to see if it was serious.  within less than 48 hours i have in my hands a replacement chainstay (couriered from PMB) at a deep discount and the bike will be rideable tomorrow, less than 3 days later.  this is one of my many unbelievable service experiences i have had with the pyga guys

Now, it seems your unhappiness stems from not being able to visit the factory, and according to you, being denied an opportunity to ride a bike. 

I have to say that your story sounds incredible, given that the guys go out of their way to respond to customers. the long list of positive comments above back this up. I think a right of response by pyga is warranted, and maybe from the very person you claim to have spoken with. 

For my 2-cents worth, I find this difficult to believe.  But lets just for argument sake accept your story for the moment - ok, the guys said there is no bike for you to test ride.  does this justify a topic heading " "PYGA ARROGANCE/BAD SERVICE"?  This drips with cancel culture viciousness designed to cause maximum reputational damage out of the most innocuous event, and is disgusting.  Arrogance?  Look it up, but then maybe the irony is lost here. 

You also claim they told you the mobu is "nowhere close to being released".  On this I WILL call you out and challenge this as being a complete lie.  Maybe you felt the need to embellish on the fact that the production has been delayed into october, but I have kept close tabs on the mobu, as I have paid for a mobu frame and have been kept up to date on the progress.  So what motivated this comment - to hurt a SA homegrown success story some more?

Not really sure what motivated you to attack a great SA brand for no reason -  maybe it feels  good breaking others down, but I know they will continue to move from success to success.  Can any of us say the same?

Ive had only good dealings with the Pyga team the last few months.

I do however think that if the factory does deal directly with the consumer, they should at least have something for a test ride or a database of owners they may refer you to.( popi act may be a challenge though)

Unfortunately Pyga is loosing major market share up in the PTA side as their main dealer in PTA has closed down and the other dealer in PTA has zero stock.

Its a tough industry to be in at the moment and it will be great to see a local company with a lot bigger footprint in SA.

There are serious marketing guru's out there that will make this happen for Pyga....provided that it is part of their business strategy.

The only brand that will get my money again is Evil. I don't think I can ride anything else again.

This is what I was saying, if you find a brand you like, you tend to stick to it. The thought of not ridding a Pyga didn’t occur to me but the MOBU delays ended that run

For reals, is Evil that great - interesting do share more or maybe not on this thread :whistling:

What brands have you owned prior to the Evil or comparing it to?

This thread ran its course when OP decided to dine and duck with the first post.

Brands ive owned:

Edge

Wheeler

Scwhinn

Pacific

Giant

Intense

Valenti

Singular

Morewood

Fuji

Various brands over the years across multiple disciplines. I started riding 26 years ago and raced semi-pro for about 8 years in DH and some XC.

Up until now no bike has given me the thrill of riding as much as my Evil. It’s light and responsive, climbs really well and when you point that nose down it just soaks up the trail. A tug on the bars and the wheels lift in the most controllable manner, predictable, poppy, fun.

The only way to explain this bike is by calling it naughty.

*I left out the brands that I’ve ridden over the years but not owned. Likes of Yeti, Santa Cruz, GT, Pyga, etc

Edited by DR ◣◢

Full disclosure - I am a pyga owner, and have dealt with Pat and the guys many times over the years.   I have no other connection to the team of guys or the company, other than being a big fan of their homegrown success and awesome products while others in SA moan and whine

on tuesday of this very week i discovered a crack on my 4yr old Pyga Stage chainstay and send a pic to hilton at pyga to see if it was serious.  within less than 48 hours i have in my hands a replacement chainstay (couriered from PMB) at a deep discount and the bike will be rideable tomorrow, less than 3 days later.  this is one of my many unbelievable service experiences i have had with the pyga guys

Now, it seems your unhappiness stems from not being able to visit the factory, and according to you, being denied an opportunity to ride a bike. 

I have to say that your story sounds incredible, given that the guys go out of their way to respond to customers. the long list of positive comments above back this up. I think a right of response by pyga is warranted, and maybe from the very person you claim to have spoken with. 

For my 2-cents worth, I find this difficult to believe.  But lets just for argument sake accept your story for the moment - ok, the guys said there is no bike for you to test ride.  does this justify a topic heading " "PYGA ARROGANCE/BAD SERVICE"?  This drips with cancel culture viciousness designed to cause maximum reputational damage out of the most innocuous event, and is disgusting.  Arrogance?  Look it up, but then maybe the irony is lost here. 

You also claim they told you the mobu is "nowhere close to being released".  On this I WILL call you out and challenge this as being a complete lie.  Maybe you felt the need to embellish on the fact that the production has been delayed into october, but I have kept close tabs on the mobu, as I have paid for a mobu frame and have been kept up to date on the progress.  So what motivated this comment - to hurt a SA homegrown success story some more?

Not really sure what motivated you to attack a great SA brand for no reason -  maybe it feels  good breaking others down, but I know they will continue to move from success to success.  Can any of us say the same?

Happy to hear your insight on the Mobu

what is the exact release date?  You are clearly more patient than I am as I paid in October 2018 and Pyga very kindly refunded me in August 2020 (interest free)

I am on record as saying Pyga's service is great but just maybe the OP got the wrong guy on the wrong day

I don't think he came on here to lie and stir trouble just like I don't think Pygas modus operandi is to provide bad service

No worries. I already bought another bike that I am really happy with, so I won't be in the market for a Pyga any time soon. I just found them to be disappointing. I was expecting local to be lekker.

So you had issues, couldn't resolve them and voted with your wallet.

Why start the thread now?

If your intention was to give them a wakeup call, then your tone was wrong.

If you're trying to drive fence sitters away from their brand then you're a bit of a spokespanner.

If you're trying to tarnish the brand the internets seem to to have answered the issue of Pyga's service quality.

This thread ran its course when OP decided to dine and duck with the first post.

Brands ive owned:

Edge

Wheeler

Scwhinn

Pacific

Giant

Intense

Valenti

Singular

Morewood

Fuji

Various brands over the years across multiple disciplines. I started riding 26 years ago and raced semi-pro for about 8 years in DH and some XC.

Up until now no bike has given me the thrill of riding as much as my Evil. It’s light and responsive, climbs really well and when you point that nose down it just soaks up the trail. A tug on the bars and the wheels lift in the most controllable manner, predictable, poppy, fun.

The only way to explain this bike is by calling it naughty.

*I left out the brands that I’ve ridden over the years but not owned. Likes of Yeti, Santa Cruz, GT, Pyga, etc

Well then i will need to test and Evil sometime, i feel intrigued by this now

Bikes look damn hot, just pity not that many around in CPT.

For reals, is Evil that great - interesting do share more or maybe not on this thread  :whistling:

In a word - yes.

I had a long term 'borrowing' of a Wreckoning with a Push coil rear shock and top drawer everything else and it was simply sublime.  It gave so much confidence to charge over whatever was in its path.  That bike dominated the trails.  

I've also ridden the Following and it feels similar but so much more playful. 

Absolutely love Evil  :wub:

So you had issues, couldn't resolve them and voted with your wallet.

Why start the thread now?

If your intention was to give them a wakeup call, then your tone was wrong.

If you're trying to drive fence sitters away from their brand then you're a bit of a spokespanner.

If you're trying to tarnish the brand the internets seem to to have answered the issue of Pyga's service quality.

Agreed.

I wonder if you ask to see the Giant/Spez, etc factories, who foots the expenses for a trip to Taiwan????

BTW, Evil ftw. Did an open demo day. rode a number of Evils. Got the chance to try a medium and large as I was on the fence there. Even got to crash a Knolly. Ended up buying an Evil Insurgent.

Fun times........

Ouch - that's a full on SA politician response there... No facts at all but just a full blown attack on the credibility of the person because you disagree with his opinion and have had a different experience yourself. He is entitled to his opinion, as are you. People have responded with their positive opinions and no-one has accused them of dishonesty.

The guy received poor service, he got pissed off, he posted it on here... He actually appears to have stuck to the facts and not gone on this huge unwarranted attack you are responding to. This is not exactly unheard of on social media. I ride a specific brand of bike and have received amazing service from them - I know many others who have different views about the brand and I fully understand and respect that.

If Pyga or the person involved wants to respond and dispute those facts then nothing is stopping them.