Road cyclists creating traffic safety issues —Gauteng

Murrob

Dead horses everywhere are not appreciating this flogging!!!!!

In an ideal world...... But if you look at how many people dies on the N2 between Mossell Bay and Cape Town yesterday you will see that traffic and responsibilities and the outcomes are FAR from ideal.

DED... people just land up ded

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you explain how the bold underlined is possible without you overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic.

Not trying to start a fight here just trying to understand the scenario because I'm the O that learns best with pictures

Dead horses everywhere are not appreciating this flogging!!!!!

In an ideal world...... But if you look at how many people dies on the N2 between Mossell Bay and Cape Town yesterday you will see that traffic and responsibilities and the outcomes are FAR from ideal.

DED... people just land up ded

If we can go off on that tangent. 

Its crazy that as a society we have agreed that car deaths are acceptable. We even set up a road accident fund to pay for the accidents. 

One day, in the not so distant future I hope, all new cars and old cars with simple retrofit will get a smart GPS that is linked to the car license. You drive, you get a beep if over speed limit, then 5 seconds later a SMS with a R250 fine, you keep going its R500 fine. You keep going its R1000, you keep going your car goes into limp mode until you appear in court. Road deaths would be a thing of the past and people would look back and wonder why for 50 years we were happy with the massacre on the roads from cars.

“Can you explain how the bold underlined is possible without you overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic.

Not trying to start a fight here just trying to understand the scenario because I'm the O that learns best with pictures”

Driving normally on the road with my wife in the car heading to Askari game lodge, where a frustrated motorist had lost his mind and decided to overtake up a hill across a solid white line. I had to veer off left on the dirt to avoid.

Edited by Murrob

Also, I note for the record, my little bit of background was not to create an mtb vs road cyclist discussion, but rather to highlight that I spend most of my time on an mtb and for the last decade + I have not been in a road bunch on a road bike and as such may not be familiar with the realities of road cycling today in Gauteng.

If we can go off on that tangent. 

Its crazy that as a society we have agreed that car deaths are acceptable. We even set up a road accident fund to pay for the accidents. 

One day, in the not so distant future I hope, all new cars and old cars with simple retrofit will get a smart GPS that is linked to the car license. You drive, you get a beep if over speed limit, then 5 seconds later a SMS with a R250 fine, you keep going its R500 fine. You keep going its R1000, you keep going your car goes into limp mode until you appear in court. Road deaths would be a thing of the past and people would look back and wonder why for 50 years we were happy with the massacre on the roads from cars.

I agree... I don't understand why you can buy a 7 seater people transporter that goes faster than 140kph.

Our roads are a shambles. People have no regard for safety at all.

It is something I will never understand. Gaining 5 minutes on a multi hour trip but endangering yourself and others. 

Ded... Brainded

“Can you explain how the bold underlined is possible without you overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic.

Not trying to start a fight here just trying to understand the scenario because I'm the O that learns best with pictures”

Driving normally on the road with my wife in the car heading to Askari game lodge, where a frustrated motorist had lost his mind and decided to overtake up a hill across a solid white line. I had to veer off left on the dirt to avoid.

but thats not the cyclists fault....

Thats poor and dangerous decision making by the driver of the other vehicle. The problem is poor driving

The "Pirtek" kitted group of about 12, and their support kombi returning the Cradle at around 8h00 to 8h30 on Saturday could learn from the Cyclelab bunches and drivers (I was riding alone and in sight of them from Beyers Naude till Cedar Road). The bunch mostly road at least 3 cyclists wide, the kombi stubbornly behind in the "car" Lane when it could've been following more in the yellow lane. The driver seemed impervious to the build up of traffic behind. He only moved over going over the kdp highway hill. The lab Quantum driver drove in the yellow mostly and moved out into the main lane when faster riders came up from behind to pass. The vehicle marshal needs to protect the cyclists and at the same time be considerate towards drivers in order to avoid silly behaviour. The cyclists also need to understand that having a following vehicle on busy roads does not mean they can ride 3 or 4 abreast. I couldn't help but think that this wasn't a brand that would get my support

but thats not the cyclists fault....

Thats poor and dangerous decision making by the driver of the other vehicle. The problem is poor driving

Yes, car absolutely in the wrong, but the cyclists are a contributing factor by being inconsiderate.

The dangers of driving in the cradle. I mean safety cars actually protecting cyclists. And having to look up from my WhatsApp on the shoulderless corner. What's gives. Damn Roadies.

The dangers of driving in the cradle. I mean safety cars actually protecting cyclists. And having to look up from my WhatsApp on the shoulderless corner. What's gives. Damn Roadies.

Yeah, must be awesome for the residents....

As a cyclist myself and also commuting to work everyday, I see alot of motorists that are very inconsiderate.

Just an example: normally I ride on the road and as far left as possible to avoid any accidents or angry motorists...but there are times when I approach a traffic circle, where I am about 10 meters away from the circle doing +/- 25kph and then a motorist comes speeding from 100 meters behind and push me of the road just to enter the traffic circle first and swears at me and tells me to get off the road. Where the hell was I inconsiderate???

I think motorists needs to chill out a bit and stop racing on the roads, if you want to race go to kyalami race track...cyclists in a big group also need to think of their own safety, be considerate and unfortunately be the least on the roads, because we don't stand a chance in a collision with a speeding car. Unfortunately we are not living in Europe.

Cradle is closed to vehicles on weekends, did you not get the memo ?

I was not aware no, but I did state in and around cradle and other areas. So not necessarily on what is defined as the cradle ride, but heading to Cradle Moon from four ways etc. But that is good to know, more reason to head out for a ride there.

Yes, car absolutely in the wrong, but the cyclists are a contributing factor by being inconsiderate.

The cyclists are traffic. What you are saying is that if you're on a single carriage way and a car overtakes a slow moving car into the face of oncoming traffic ( you) that the slower moving car is contributory because the driver is inconsiderate by not pulling over Its the same thing except I've replaced the cyclists with a slow moving car.

The cyclists are traffic. What you are saying is that if you're on a single carriage way and a car overtakes a slow moving car into the face of oncoming traffic ( you) that the slower moving car is contributory because the driver is inconsiderate by not pulling over Its the same thing except I've replaced the cyclists with a slow moving car.

I think the reality is, as I have seen recently on a number of instances is that a large bunch of cyclists with or without self appointed support vehicles cannot make it near impossible for other road users to use the roads for kilometers on end. It’s going to result in animosity, idiotic risk taking behaviors and ultimately the cyclists are going to loose. My most recent example from Sunday heading to Hennops MTB trail was a large bunch spread out with 2 support vehicles which had essentially created a 3 times abnormal load large type truck scenario. So by that logic all motorists must now sit behind this bunch at 30-40kph for 10-15 km’s?

That was my overarching question, what do we do as a community to avoid this?

Some suggestions

1. Support vehicles to have training or a code of conduct to adhere to, some thought needs to be presumably given to route planning in this regard

2. Where applicable, cyclists need to ride single file or and in smaller batches to allow other road users to safely pass where possible

3. Vehicles need to obey the law and treat cyclists as a vehicle with the appropriate consideration

4. Large bunches of cyclists cannot expect to rule the road without the result being that idiot motorists doing stupid things

Also if the slower moving car has the ability to split in half to allow for faster traffic to get past safely and where legally appropriate, should it not do so? I.e ride single file or even two abreast max where applicable

I dont see it as blocking but making the 2 ton machine driver to actually engage his brain and pass when its safe to do so if it was another car driver. 

I have to agree with you on this note.

I see myself as a responsible cyclist, trying my level best to be considerate when I'm out on the road.

I'll keep as far left as possible when I'm going up a steep hill at 6-8kph, but when I am descending at 70+kph I see myself as completely part of traffic now and I will ride smack bang in the middle of the lane so there is no chance of a car pushing me off into the gutter and me breaking my neck.