Trans Baviaans 2021

pedal menace

Like they say, a spectator is not a supporter. No spectators allowed, but (paid) supporters are allowed at Hadleigh and the finish line.

We are a team of 4, and we paid for 4 supporters when we entered in December. All our wives will be going to Hadleigh Pakstoor and the finish as supporters, not as spectators.

Unless I somewhere missed that they changed that and only one driver in a support vehicle is now allowed? Then we need to be refunded for the three other supporter entries.. but I doubt that is the case.

But if you register and pay to be a supporter, a check in at checkpoint # 5 is compulsory (or so I think). . I am certainly not going to ask my wife to drive to checkpoint #5 and then back to Jeffreys. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you register and pay to be a supporter, a check in at checkpoint # 5 is compulsory (or so I think). . I am certainly not going to ask my wife to drive to checkpoint #5 and then back to Jeffreys. 

Ah yes, and at CP #7 also mandatory.

Our wives wants to be part of that whole experience and not just at the finish line, so that's luckily not a problem for us.

He reminds me every day! But a dad will be a dad..always worrying  :whistling: ..just DO NOT tell him he is not training hard enough. That unleashes a weapon of mass destruction (yeah my fault..I know). 

Understandable, I'm a father as well so let's put it this way... at 19 some of us were running through the Angolan bush in full battle gear in 40 deg heat for weeks on end and we survived to tell the story. Youngsters are tough and resiliant, with the right encouragement and race planning I think he might surprise you  :thumbup:

At 19 we drank all night and raced all day. Repeat the next night.

I fondly remember a race in Aliwal North in the middle of January. 40 degrees while climbing over a hill in the worst conditions. 96km later and we managed a second and third place.

At that age you’re tough as nails. Unless you’re one of these new age pansies that wear skinny jeans and make-up.

To everyone thinking about not doing the event because it is just not the same:  If I was in a position to ride  it, this is exactly the reason I would be jumping at it.

This will probably (hopefully) be the only chance you ever get to ride these altered start times.  It will be a completely different ride.

Everyone saying this will be my sixth or 7th ride and it just won't be the same - well, this one will be like none of the others!  Do it!

Support Ecobound now  so they are in a position to support you in 2022 and beyond....

Just think of the stories you can tell ---- "I remember, back in 2021 I had to get up at 2am in the morning..."

(In all honesty, I would rather get up at 2am than have to ride until 2am...)

To everyone thinking about not doing the event because it is just not the same:  If I was in a position to ride  it, this is exactly the reason I would be jumping at it.

This will probably (hopefully) be the only chance you ever get to ride these altered start times.  It will be a completely different ride.

Everyone saying this will be my sixth or 7th ride and it just won't be the same - well, this one will be like none of the others!  Do it!

Support Ecobound now  so they are in a position to support you in 2022 and beyond....

Just think of the stories you can tell ---- "I remember, back in 2021 I had to get up at 2am in the morning..."

Yeah I really don't see the big issue with a 5am to 7am start. It's perfect for the heat that we are going to ride in. I've done 4 Trans Baviaans, and one "Langs Baviaans", and this will be my sixth ride. 

Really relishing the new weather challenges and riding the whole ride in daylight. Just be sure to do a couple of heat training rides end of December to end of January. Bring it on. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Good Attitude - privilege to be able to take part in something like this, regardless of start times  :thumbup:

Question to those folks who have ridden this race more recently. 

Is a support vehicle useful to have and why when everything is catered for at the water points?

Is a support vehicle useful to have and why when everything is catered for at the water points?

More than do-able without a support vehicle - you have two sets of boxes available to pack beforehand which helps with any extras that you might need! Support vehicle more gees than anything else...

Nah not necessary at all I think. Last year it was just nice to see your family at a checkpoint in the cold and darkness waiting you in with a hot chocolate, pancake and slap chips.. and for one of the guys in our team that was all that kept him going to the next checkpoint.

For January I'm sending a few extra frozen powerbar bidons with my wife to Checkpoint #5 and #7. Last year all the water table powerbar was done by the time we got to Checkpoint #4. Only slightly luke warm water was left. Luckily I had extra bidons in my Checkpoint crates, but in January your crate will basically act as a microwave I think, so not really a nice option to put extra bidons in the crates this time.

I am chomping at the bit to do it both in Jan and Aug 2021. I have not yet done anything, entries, accommodation, flights / driving, nothing nadda niks. So I will make an effort soon, like 15 Dec  :D. But, there's a 90% chance that I will be there again for no. 5 but only finished 2 excluding this one which I will obviously finish as well  :thumbup:

Edited by RobertWhitehead

I'm also looking forward to these revised times - also remembering that things might still change and revert to the usual times.

For us midpack to backmarkers(14 - 16 hours) getting to the top of Bergplaas in daylight is the goal with a real sense of achievement when getting it right, these times guarantees that and as others have said seeing parts of the route in daylight for the first time!

Will be lucky number 13 for me...

I'm also looking forward to these revised times - also remembering that things might still change and revert to the usual times.

For us midpack to backmarkers(14 - 16 hours) getting to the top of Bergplaas in daylight is the goal with a real sense of achievement when getting it right, these times guarantees that and as others have said seeing parts of the route in daylight for the first time!

Will be lucky number 13 for me...

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Kloof in daylight! Last year was my first and we were hampered by early mechanicals, and one of our guys bonked on the first fang already. The rest of the team sat on top of the second fang watching the sunset while waiting for him to push his bike up.. It was a looooooong night from there!

Doable without support vehicle. Where it become important though is if you're suffering and really considering throwing in the towel - knowing someone is waiting for you or simply getting encouragement from them can make the difference between getting  medal or not. If you're a strong rider with some training in the legs (and if the weather is not ridiculous - a big IF) you'll be fine without support.