99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

53 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

I am the Head Of Operations for the 99er. We are always looking for comments and feedback after our race so we can improve. I was thus wondering where we slipped up? There was definitely Coke, Energade and water at the finish line on Odendaal. Or what are you referring to?

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

Very well organized and the marshalls were superb.

Just 2 things to note from my side. At the finsih we asked for coke and were told only powerade and water was provided, I must say that the volunteers were superb, I will admit and apologize that I think I had about 6 cups because I was near dying in the heat, But not once did the lady complain or the little boy who kept filling up my cup with a jug and offering more and more ice.

The other issue was at the racecourse, I went to purchase a few drinks for mates but there was no card machine available and was told it would only be there at 10am, this was at 9;30. So the guys ended up leaving. Not sure if this is organized by the racecourse or from the events side of things, but that kinda sucked as the guys left and went and spent their money(from their card) elsewhere.

Other than that, Superb day at the races. Well done.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed my first 99er, the route was great, had a safety bike the whole way which was super impressive and a second bike joined with 30Km's to go. I absolutely love the way the race finished, riding through Durbanville before that epic last 900 meters - what a great call doing it that way! Like riding through a short crit being followed by a mountain-stage-simulator.

One thing I must mention is that the attitude in B-Batch was absolutely ***. I heard okes kakking out the safety bike for being in the way while it was in the yellow lane on the opposite side of the road. A lot of sketchy riding and unpleasantness in the group cast an unfortunate shadow on what was an awesome event.

Thanks to the organisers and see you next year!

5 minutes ago, RoadNoob6 said:

One thing I must mention is that the attitude in B-Batch was absolutely ***. I heard okes kakking out the safety bike for being in the way while it was in the yellow lane on the opposite side of the road

I think I witnessed this too as we were arriving into Durbanville? I think the bike Marshall fell back after a while and gave some k*k back to the offenders.

there was a lot of rubbing between riders at this point of the race, once the group smelt the finish you could feel the tension, thought it was awesome.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:42 PM, JM_NEL said:

Box plot of finishing times per group. 

99er.png

@JM_NELhow did you fetch the dataset from Racetec? The ASP page makes it quite difficult.

Great interpretation of the data! Amazing that the bulk of the groups going back to G finished in under 3hrs.

1 hour ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

I am the Head Of Operations for the 99er. We are always looking for comments and feedback after our race so we can improve. I was thus wondering where we slipped up? There was definitely Coke, Energade and water at the finish line on Odendaal. Or what are you referring to?

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

Hi mate. Was definitely one of the safest events I’ve done in recent times. We had a motorbike following us probably for 80% of the route which i thought was really well done.

I can also confirm that there was definitely no coke at the finish. And I definitely looked at every table so there was definitely no coke at the finish.

1 hour ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

Well done on organising the event and being pro-active like this.

Not much to say, we ($) had a truck in the way as we were about to turn onto adderly but nothing too bad the front of the bunch just had to slow down a bit more to let the truck pass before turning. Powerade at the finish was fine also the staff filling up my bottle so that I can ride back to my car hydrated !

After two years in a row with big bunch still together for a bunch sprint finish (and this year a very slow race considering the lack of vert) I’m wondering if that intermediate sprint at 70km isn’t a bit of a problem, maybe at 40-50k it would allow the race to be raced in the 2nd half ? Just my 2c I actually have no idea

2 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Very well organized and the marshalls were superb.

Just 2 things to note from my side. At the finsih we asked for coke and were told only powerade and water was provided, I must say that the volunteers were superb, I will admit and apologize that I think I had about 6 cups because I was near dying in the heat, But not once did the lady complain or the little boy who kept filling up my cup with a jug and offering more and more ice.

The other issue was at the racecourse, I went to purchase a few drinks for mates but there was no card machine available and was told it would only be there at 10am, this was at 9;30. So the guys ended up leaving. Not sure if this is organized by the racecourse or from the events side of things, but that kinda sucked as the guys left and went and spent their money(from their card) elsewhere.

Other than that, Superb day at the races. Well done.

We pride ourselves in our marshals (who are all volunteer parents!)  and yes, they are superb! Unfortunately, the vendors are all external and we have no control over HOW they do things but can control WHO we use. I will relay this information back to my committee.

thanks for your input!

29 minutes ago, RoadNoob6 said:

Really enjoyed my first 99er, the route was great, had a safety bike the whole way which was super impressive and a second bike joined with 30Km's to go. I absolutely love the way the race finished, riding through Durbanville before that epic last 900 meters - what a great call doing it that way! Like riding through a short crit being followed by a mountain-stage-simulator.

One thing I must mention is that the attitude in B-Batch was absolutely ***. I heard okes kakking out the safety bike for being in the way while it was in the yellow lane on the opposite side of the road. A lot of sketchy riding and unpleasantness in the group cast an unfortunate shadow on what was an awesome event.

Thanks to the organisers and see you next year!

Interestingly a mate of mine who has been riding races for many many years said the same of a certain group (not B-batch as far as I know). He said this was one of the more poorly behaved group of cyclists he has seen for a long..... Anyway, as long as we did OUT best and YOU enjoyed it!

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Well done on organising the event and being pro-active like this.

Not much to say, we ($) had a truck in the way as we were about to turn onto adderly but nothing too bad the front of the bunch just had to slow down a bit more to let the truck pass before turning. Powerade at the finish was fine also the staff filling up my bottle so that I can ride back to my car hydrated !

After two years in a row with big bunch still together for a bunch sprint finish (and this year a very slow race considering the lack of vert) I’m wondering if that intermediate sprint at 70km isn’t a bit of a problem, maybe at 40-50k it would allow the race to be raced in the 2nd half ? Just my 2c I actually have no idea

Hi

The sprint at 75km was my idea (I am a keen TdF and cycling fan!) This was done to replace the KOM because Vissershok was not usable for another year. The reason I placed it there was because it was on fairly deserted road (for safety as there will be flaring) and also the sprint does end at the top of very slight "climb. For logistical (and safety as I said) reasons we cannot put it on the road to Malmesbury. However, we are always open to input 🙂 

10 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hi

The sprint at 75km was my idea (I am a keen TdF and cycling fan!) This was done to replace the KOM because Vissershok was not usable for another year. The reason I placed it there was because it was on fairly deserted road (for safety as there will be flaring) and also the sprint does end at the top of very slight "climb. For logistical (and safety as I said) reasons we cannot put it on the road to Malmesbury. However, we are always open to input 🙂 

if Vissers is back next year then it's problem solved !

3 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

watch this space..... 😉

Congrats on an event that was clearly well organised Nicholas, I think it shows in the comments & feedback. Keep up the good work.

My suggestions - I think you should put pressure on Racetec/Cycle Tour to make your event an official seeding event for the same year's CTCT, making it a seeding event only for the following year's CTCT makes it meaningless for a large portion of the riders. Especially if you as the organiser have to jump through certain hoops to make it an official seeding event.

As mentioned, try to bring Vissershok back if possible, but if you can keep the Kalbaskraal section. It is a nice variation on every other Northern Suburb race that goes past or around Paardeberg.

and then I never thought I would say this but I miss the finish on top of Odendaal - is it not an option to finish at that big open field next to the Spar? (few 100m on from the old finish)

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

Congrats on an event that was clearly well organised Nicholas, I think it shows in the comments & feedback. Keep up the good work.

My suggestions - I think you should put pressure on Racetec/Cycle Tour to make your event an official seeding event for the same year's CTCT, making it a seeding event only for the following year's CTCT makes it meaningless for a large portion of the riders. Especially if you as the organiser have to jump through certain hoops to make it an official seeding event.

As mentioned, try to bring Vissershok back if possible, but if you can keep the Kalbaskraal section. It is a nice variation on every other Northern Suburb race that goes past or around Paardeberg.

and then I never thought I would say this but I miss the finish on top of Odendaal - is it not an option to finish at that big open field next to the Spar? (few 100m on from the old finish)

Many thanks for your kind words! The seeding is always contentious and we hear what you guys are saying. Unfortunately our hands are TIED as the PPA/RaceTec/CTCT are in control. We will try again for next year, that is the best we can offer.... 

I am a very keen cyclist myself and I would LOVE to see the finish back up at the top of Odendaal but I think I will then be taken to the public square be flogged by the masses...! We have to strike a balance between making the event fun and attractive for the masses but also make it appealing for the $ group.... We are the 1st and ONLY race to use the Kalbaskraal section and we we had excellent feedback as it makes the 100km route more accessible for most people. Our challenge is still the 3 narrow bridges at the end of Kalbaskraal and we did get it better this year but that remains a downside of this route.

2 hours ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

Exceptional event but seeing as how you asking for feedback

1. No coke at the end point

2. Not allowed to take ice, as some wanted to cool off by using ice down their backs

3. That grass area at the back of the stalls was not ideal for chilling out no need for those bicycle displays on the nice grass where we sat previous years

4. If possible, maybe look at getting tables and benches for next year

Thanks to you and the organizers for all the hard work though it was a great day out

6 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Vissers and top of odendaal finish is what really set this race apart from all others on the WC calender. In my view the current route is just another panflat race in the north (I'm from the south)...

I would really like to see either or both of the climbs back in the race. I hope all stars align for years moving forward.

1 minute ago, SoloCyclist said:

Exceptional event but seeing as how you asking for feedback

1. No coke at the end point

2. Not allowed to take ice, as some wanted to cool off by using ice down their backs

3. That grass area at the back of the stalls was not ideal for chilling out no need for those bicycle displays on the nice grass where we sat previous years

4. If possible, maybe look at getting tables and benches for next year

Thanks to you and the organizers for all the hard work though it was a great day out

Hi.

1. Yeah, the coke thing has us organizers puzzled tbh. There WAS a coke truck at the race finish. As turned left after the timing mat and went down the road, the water, coke and Energade was all there. We DID NOT have it at the racecourse as we relied on vendors for that. So, we are really confused as to how some people did not get coke....unless we ran out...

2.  Ice because of the extreme heat we had to limit ice I'm afraid. We actually had a bakkie come to the racecourse and fetch ice to take BACK to some water points because of the heat. Usually this tis not a problem, however. Our apologies!

3. Yes, point well taken! I will chat with our marketing team and make an alternate plan

4. The venue is owned/run by Cape Racing so we don't have any control and catering is outsourced so we are restricted. However, we will def raise this point for next race!

thanks for constructive input!