• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

"Yield for incoming traffic"

That is what the sign says. NO , IT SAYS 'ONCOMING'

STOP means stop. There is no getting around that.

If you cannot distinguish the difference then there's no point in debating further.

Context: when there is an oncoming car heading from Melkbosstrand to Big Bay then you'd expect a car standing at a stop to remain stationary until the oncoming car has passed. If a cyclist passes at that same time then the car ought to keep still.

the entire cycle path stretching from CT to Melkbos is an well thought through abortion. 

Just for some balance -

I stopped between Malmesbury and Kalbaskraal earlier today.  Stretched the legs a bit while having an energy bar.

Farmer turned onto the tar, and immediately slowed down as he approached me.

I gave a thumbs up, expecting him to drive off.

Nope, stopped and had a nice chat.

He even offered some cold refreshments, pointing to his house.

There ARE some vehicle drivers out there that are kind to cyclists 👍👍👍👍

Even a few in white bakkies 😋

5 hours ago, The itch said:

That is what the sign says. NO , IT SAYS 'ONCOMING'

Yes. Typo. Still doesn't change the fact that a car STILL has to STOP regardless.

4 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

Bail is not set based on the severity, but rather the flight risk.

I didn't know that. He skedaddled from the scene. I have zero sympathy for this oke and believe he should be made an example of.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I didn't know that. He skedaddled from the scene. I have zero sympathy for this oke and believe he should be made an example of.

https://www.gov.za/faq/justice-and-crime-prevention/what-bail-and-how-does-it-work

Different factors are considered when deciding on the amount of bail. Seriousness of the offence is an important factor together with what the interests of justice permit. Factors such as the likelihood of additional offences being committed once out on bail, the flight risk, opportunity to intimidate witnesses and jeopardizing the trial will all be considered.

The amount is usually determined by the magistrate’s discretion.

Even my mates that still live back that side are talking about it on our WhatsApp group.. it’s mental, apparently people called the cops because the car was on fish hoek main road with blood and flesh on the left side and the driver slumped over the steering wheel passed out.. sickening man.. 

On 12/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

"Yield for incoming traffic"

That is what the sign says.

STOP means stop. There is no getting around that.

haha two years ago I had a idiot almost rolling me over, then yell at me about that sign (that he himself couldn't see as it face facing towards the cycle path I was on. But he completely ignored the stop sign AND stop marking in front of him...

Of course the yield to oncoming trafic is for trafic on the road, not for people exiting the estates..

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

haha two years ago I had a idiot almost rolling me over, then yell at me about that sign (that he himself couldn't see as it face facing towards the cycle path I was on. But he completely ignored the stop sign AND stop marking in front of him...

Of course the yield to oncoming trafic is for trafic on the road, not for people exiting the estates..

Precisely. Some folks are just either too stupid to understand what the rules are, or they do know and just choose to ignore it, or worse, alter the interpretation thereof.

13 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Even my mates that still live back that side are talking about it on our WhatsApp group.. it’s mental, apparently people called the cops because the car was on fish hoek main road with blood and flesh on the left side and the driver slumped over the steering wheel passed out.. sickening man.. 

driver has now been suspended from the Navy . His &$#@ is booked 

40 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Nice.. I hope pollsmoor is his only future.. 

3 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

With or without pay? Anybody know?

• 1 month later...

American, but some may follow Derek Teel (Dialed Health on youtube/instagram/podcasts, does a lot of strength training content aimed at cyclists).

He was hit by a car 2 days ago, seems to be out of the woods (well, as out of the woods as you can be with a new rod in your femur), but a long recovery road ahead of him.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/derek-teel-of-dialed-health-suffers-extensive-injuries-after-being-struck-by-driver-in-hit-and-run.html?trk=rss