Training after Coronavirus

drop in fitness loss of muscle tone, systemic inflammation all contributes to the heart rate variabiity and change in resting HR

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

drop in fitness loss of muscle tone, systemic inflammation all contributes to the heart rate variabiity and change in resting HR

Exactly why I'm asking about the loss due to not training being attributed to covid. When I don't train, I find the first thing that goes is my aerobic threshold, making my heart rate spike just walking up the stairs to my office at home.

I also find antibiotics have far more of an impact on my hr variability than the disease they just treated. IE, I find more hr variability if I used antibiotics to treat a respiratory infection as to when I don't use them for a similar infection.

Edit: I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the disease, in fact my own son (and other family members) had it, I'm just curious as to the reasons behind why sporting performance varies.

Edited by TNT1

Interesting. How much of that variance is attributable to covid, and how much is due to a drop off in fitness that would happen with no training for a month or so?

Considering my HR never went over 189 no matter how unfit I was and post covid it went to 198, I personally think it’s almost all covid related. I think a month off would be marginal compared.

Exactly why I'm asking about the loss due to not training being attributed to covid. When I don't train, I find the first thing that goes is my aerobic threshold, making my heart rate spike just walking up the stairs to my office at home.

I also find antibiotics have far more of an impact on my hr variability than the disease they just treated. IE, I find more hr variability if I used antibiotics to treat a respiratory infection as to when I don't use them for a similar infection.

Edit: I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the disease, in fact my own son (and other family members) had it, I'm just curious

as to the reasons behind why sporting performance varies.

I'm no expert just getting through this thing myself as my family were asymptomatic and it hit me into 2022.

internal inflammation is very serious with this virus. blood thickening is real and therefore clots have to be avoided. The dose of chemicals you are in jesting shuts down your bodies ability to manage inflammation on its own. It has to recover its natural ability to do so.

Since sporting activity is a process of breaking down and rebuilding I suspect that in order of priority your body will focus on core systems repair before rebuilding strength. That's the gist of what my Gp could share. Even they don't really know except for empirical information that suggests around 10 days after symptoms cease before resuming exercise

My whole respiratory system got infected,mid jan,I wont think of jumping on my bike till April ,running my bussiness is very physical,I cant even load an item of furniture,and I'm gassed,point is guys whatever you decide take it easy,we think we are forcibly strengthening our system by overworking it,you could end up stressing your heart,and that's a whole other issue

When ido go back I'm not looking at HR max etc,I learnt ,when running 6 hour comrades,sometimes ,just keep pulse and watch off,and go as the body feels

Under normal circumstances that would be an option, but corona infections change the rules..... not everyone listens to or knows their body, therefore monitoring HR can give you early warning signs if all is not well.

Take care

Under normal circumstances that would be an option, but corona infections change the rules..... not everyone listens to or knows their body, therefore monitoring HR can give you early warning signs if all is not well.

Take care

great advice

Cool, let me know what he says.  I don't mind training with an elevated HR and evenatually hopefully will normalize, as long as it's safe to do so

So went to Dr on Friday. Did an ECG, a stress ECG and a lung function test. ECG's were good and lung function test was better than recommended. So he was happy I can train again. Cholesterol was a bit high, so he gave me meds to bring down. Said that could be a risk and that with Disprin daily would help prevent any potential clots. So will increase intensity gradually and see how that goes. Weekend did 2 x 3hr rides, low z2 and went well. Other than legs feel effect of 6 weeks no training or short and easy.

So went to Dr on Friday. Did an ECG, a stress ECG and a lung function test. ECG's were good and lung function test was better than recommended. So he was happy I can train again. Cholesterol was a bit high, so he gave me meds to bring down. Said that could be a risk and that with Disprin daily would help prevent any potential clots. So will increase intensity gradually and see how that goes. Weekend did 2 x 3hr rides, low z2 and went well. Other than legs feel effect of 6 weeks no training or short and easy.

Nice, thats a comprehensive set of testing. Great

Here you can see through the same sufferfest workout 01 Dec 2020 pre Coronavirus and then 29 Jan 2021 and then 22 Feb 2021.

Pretty happy with the HR recovery, even though power numbers are down by 10% relative

post-48188-0-95968700-1613996164_thumb.png

post-48188-0-63848200-1613996173_thumb.png

post-48188-0-62798700-1613996182_thumb.png

• 10 months later...

Hi all, I tested positive this morning.

Post nasal drip and groggy voice are the only 2 symptoms.

do I rest completely for the week or could I do cardio and or Zone1/Zone2 on the idt?

according to Apple no increase in HR and HRV is still improving.