Training after Coronavirus

Hi guys I got infected late december,went for bike ride 3rd jan,felt a bit fluish,being an ex 6 hour comrades runner I thought I will just wait it out,neglected to go to the doctor for 9 days,by then it had decimated my lungs,family insisted I stay out of hospital,they got me oxygen machine ,nebulizer etc.

Then found a brilliant young doctor,but he said we now dealing with the equavilent of double pneumonia.

My advice guys ,if you feeling fluish go to doctor for tests etc immediately, covid is not just 1 thing ,it can attack any area of your body,I learnt the hard way,this disease is real.

I'm only hoping and praying for a full recovery.

Take care guys and gals

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding the local trails you end up meeting people.  One of these gents have a passion for single speed bikes .... riding the Tygerberg hills on a single speed you do stand out "just a bit" ....

Started chatting over a coffee at Bloemendal, many moons ago.

On Saturday I saw this gent again.  Turns out this was his first ride post covid.

Bear in mind that this was a reasonably fit gent.  

covid had him down for almost three weeks !!  His wife insisted he wait another four weeks before riding again.

Instead oh his normal 30km ride he was doing a much shorter ride.  After only 8km he was noting that his hart rate was consistently higher than normal ....  not enough to phone for a lift home, but certainly not his old self.

Stay safe Hubbers. 

A speedy and full recovery to each one walking this road.   :thumbup:

Riding the local trails you end up meeting people.  One of these gents have a passion for single speed bikes .... riding the Tygerberg hills on a single speed you do stand out "just a bit" ....

Started chatting over a coffee at Bloemendal, many moons ago.

On Saturday I saw this gent again.  Turns out this was his first ride post covid.

Bear in mind that this was a reasonably fit gent.  

covid had him down for almost three weeks !!  His wife insisted he wait another four weeks before riding again.

Instead oh his normal 30km ride he was doing a much shorter ride.  After only 8km he was noting that his hart rate was consistently higher than normal ....  not enough to phone for a lift home, but certainly not his old self.

Stay safe Hubbers. 

A speedy and full recovery to each one walking this road.   :thumbup:

Friend at work(mid-30s) told me his Wife had a confirmed Covid test in the beginning of this year when they tested her at work. She was a bit ill, he himself only had something similar to a cold. They assume he also had it, but he never went for the test.

This guy runs a decent sub 50min 10k, so he is of decent fitness.

His doctor friend advised him to do Zero training for a month after the illness and the next 3 months he should do nothing above a heartrate of 130bpm.

This is in response to the blood clotting issues and the risk of a heart attack.

He only had a very light run-in with it and was still advised to be extra cautious.

Be careful peeps, this thing is dangerous. 

His doctor friend advised him to do Zero training for a month after the illness and the next 3 months he should do nothing above a heartrate of 130bpm.

This is in response to the blood clotting issues and the risk of a heart attack.

I'd be really interested to hear the reasoning behind this. It sounds like a blanket response and doesn't take into account the actual physiology of the patient.

I mean, we all know, heart rate isn't heart rate. I've got possibly a decade on your friend here, and my max HR is around 194. I rest it at 49.

Would the same advice work for me I wonder? A guy told me last night when he had covid, he needed oxygen and at that point his HR slowed to 40. The whole time I'm thinking ****, if I get this, I don't have much wiggle room... A joke, I know, we're all different. Hence my initial questioning.

Edited by TNT1

I'd be really interested to hear the reasoning behind this. It sounds like a blanket response and doesn't take into account the actual physiology of the patient.

I mean, we all know, heart rate isn't heart rate. I've got possibly a decade on your friend here, and my max HR is around 194. I rest it at 49.

Would the same advice work for me I wonder? A guy told me last night when he had covid, he needed oxygen and at that point his HR slowed to 40. The whole time I'm thinking ****, if I get this, I don't have much wiggle room... A joke, I know, we're all different. Hence my initial questioning.

Haven't spoken with him too much on the subject, but will ask for more details next time round.

I have no idea whether the advice was specific to his specific health status or whether the doctor friend tells everyone to do it like that.

I understood the reasoning to be that any physical activity should be very low intensity to protect the heart, giving the body enough time to dissolve any possible clots naturally.

my dr advised me to stay below 70% of max hr

What was interesting for me is I tested on the Monday. It was positive. I only started with symptoms the Sunday night and Monday. Prior to actually feeling sick my hr went up to 50 and then 56 over the weekend prior to testing. Normal resting rate was low 40's. From the Wednesday while I was sick my resting HR dropped to mid 30's for at least 5 days before starting to go up again. Now that I have recovered my resting HR is steady around 47. So higher than previous. So some unusual things happening.

Here are some sufferfest results of an identical workout (a easier one), one a month before catching covid and one a month from catching.  You can see even with reduced intensity the HR is about 15b/m higher. 

post-48188-0-71987000-1613055055_thumb.jpeg

post-48188-0-53901300-1613055056_thumb.jpeg

Here are some sufferfest results of an identical workout (a easier one), one a month before catching covid and one a month from catching.  You can see even with reduced intensity the HR is about 15b/m higher. 

Thanks. Interesting comparison. I did the same. I find that on z2 type rides not much difference. But a week ago I tried some efforts at my AT. I couldn't manage. HR went high, but the perceived effort felt worse. Pounding heart even though rate not at max. I went and compared to same ride late last year and a huge difference. So a z2 ride with AT efforts at the end.

Last year :  Average power 166. Max 260  Average HR 104. Max 135

Post covid: Average Power 167. Max 278. Average HR 128. Max 160. 

I also only managed 1x 2,5 min effort whereas last year 4x 2,5 min at the end.

As a result back to steady z1 and 2 rides

After this I consulted a doctor and did an ECG and a chest x-ray. There was nothing sinister that was found thankfully, although he recommended a further two weeks of not raising my HR beyond 120.

My HR pre-covid never got above 189 in any scenario, post covid it's gotten to 198 by mistake, I'll take it easy for a while now.

After this I consulted a doctor and did an ECG and a chest x-ray. There was nothing sinister that was found thankfully, although he recommended a further two weeks of not raising my HR beyond 120.

My HR pre-covid never got above 189 in any scenario, post covid it's gotten to 198 by mistake, I'll take it easy for a while now.

I have an appointment this morning with doctor to see what tests he can do. Other than my attempt last week, I have done nothing to push HR up. My max HR is 185.

took 3 weeks off after Covid (mild) without any training 

back to training after 3 weeks my heart rate was elevated by about 10-15 bpm over pre covid "normal " rates in any zone

did a real gradual week by increase in effort (keeping heart rate low) its now a month and a half after covid and my heart rate is back to what i consider my "normal".

a symptom which i had is "body ache" which is acute muscle pain its not very nice 

your heart is a muscle also if its hurting your back that bad its not doing your heart much good either 

so be kind to your heart guys take it real easy back on to the bike after your bout with the "rona" :thumbup:

Edited by bikebloke

You must be talking about Stu ??  Very sad. I am sure the Covid had an influence on the events. Combination of doing too much too soon at a stage where the heart was maybe compromised from the Covid. 

I am.

He took me for my first ride in 1998 

Interesting. How much of that variance is attributable to covid, and how much is due to a drop off in fitness that would happen with no training for a month or so?

Whatever you do, Cupcakes, rather think long-term wins over short-term gains.

You only get one body per life and you must take care of it. Lower your inner expectations, solo rides are better to lower your variable index and get home hungry for more, but safely so.

Sterkte.