Training after Coronavirus

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, throttles said:

Hi all, I tested positive this morning.

Post nasal drip and groggy voice are the only 2 symptoms.

do I rest completely for the week or could I do cardio and or Zone1/Zone2 on the idt?

according to Apple no increase in HR and HRV is still improving.

Treat it like a normal cold. If your HR and HRV and energy levels are fine and your symptoms are mild and only from the neck up then you can do easy riding. Just make sure you are getting fluids and ample rest.
My unqualified 2c.

I tested positive and had only a very sore throat with the accompanying rough voice ... on advice from my doctor I isolated and rested for 10 days (I actually felt fine within 3 or 4 days). After that I did easy short rides for 3 days and then back to normal riding including completing the Festive 500 shortly thereafter. 

As I mentioned my GP who knows me very well followed up and advised me during that time. 

16 hours ago, throttles said:

do I rest completely for the week or could I do cardio and or Zone1/Zone2 on the idt?

So many people have had these symptoms for 3-4 days and then feel fine. So if I were you I'd wait it out, it's not a long time to wait. I say this because: I was feeling a bit average but had tested negative 3 days earlier so thought it couldn't be covid. Then I went for a 10km run and 24hrs later I had a nasty fever and positive covid test. I felt really lousy for 1-2 days, like terrible flu. After that I was OK, 4 days of runny/stuffy nose and slight cough, much like many other people. But doing exercise while I had covid really made the situation worse. And the run was not that intense, mostly 140bpm (I don't know what zone that is).

My point is, if I could go back and redo it, I would not have done any exercise while sick. I probably set myself back 2-3 days and they were pretty unpleasant days too. Maybe I would have always had the fever but given that it kicked in immediately after the run, I doubt it.

Thanks for the responses, I am taking a break. 

it’s day 3 for me and still no other symptoms, only the one blocked nostril that’s causing a post nasal drip.

HR, pulse, blood O2 all still like it was a week ago.

Thanks again for the response, appreciate it.

ps.

I did consult with a doctor, he suggested walks in sun would be beneficial. But could not provide input on what Zone. So I’ll probably stick to zone 0 and walk in my yard 😬

I dont know what this new variant is doing to people, but certainly with the previous variant it did a number on peoples hearts and lungs, even folks like myself that had it mild got a big smack and took a while for the heart and lungs to recover, i know of people 6 months later that are still suffering from long covid.

So my un educated opinion would be to listen to what the doc told you and stick to walking for a bit longer

I recovered about 2 weeks ago, the 1st 7 days of iso where a laugh just a sore throat and a little (very ) tired . Day 8,9,10 I was hit with the stomach part of it that iv had a few friends experience also by far the worst the nausea etc. 

I’ll say it’s definitely set me back with training primarily my running. HR is still higher whilst running than pre covid. Even after two weeks post iso. 

very frustrating but I’m just taking it easy and slowly upping my distance and speed day by day. 

Would not recommend any form of strenuous exercise during the active period of covid but what I did do and mainly for my sanity was very short and slow walks in my road at night or early morning as to not bump into anyone and  give them covid. 

good luck with it. This new omicron is definitely not as bad As our previous one just watch out for the tummy portion of it (if you get it ) according to google 1/5 get that symptom. 

On 1/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, throttles said:

rest...a virus lingers....take it easy....plenty time to train afterwards..

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Pfft.... Smash it.

If a tree falls in a forest with no one around, does it make a sound?

If you train with Rona and just pretend it isn't there, is it even there?

Carry on as normal, get some PRs and smash week 1 of 2022.....

For someone who doesn't drink, you do alot of  ‘drunk texting’😅

this obviously falls in the “when your sarcasm is so advanced, people (might?) think you are stupid” category lol.

Edited by MORNE

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

For someone who doesn't drink, you do alot of  ‘drunk texting’😅

this obviously falls in the “when your sarcasm is so advanced, people (might?) think you are stupid” category lol.

People are losing their minds over this. It's a virus. If you click on the link below, it states in most cases that the best treatment is rest and staying hydrated.

Most of these have been around for a long long time. So, why would anything be any different? I'm 100% sure the people asking these questions have had at least 3 of the viral infections on the list and, erm, rested.

https://www.healthline.com/health/viral-diseases#Transmission

Edited by Jewbacca

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

People are losing their minds over this. It's a virus. If you click on the link below, it states in most cases that the best treatment is rest and staying hydrated.

Most of these have been around for a long long time. So, why would anything be any different? I'm 100% sure the people asking these questions have had at least 3 of the viral infections on the list and, erm, rested.

Ebola is also a virus.  One strain of it kills 90% of people who contract it by liquifying their organs - another strain kills 0% of people because it doesn't even make them sick.

Stop spreading misinformation that could potentially cause people harm.

8 hours ago, Eldron said:

Ebola is also a virus.  One strain of it kills 90% of people who contract it by liquifying their organs - another strain kills 0% of people because it doesn't even make them sick.

Stop spreading misinformation that could potentially cause people harm.

Huh?

What misinformation? Did you click the link? 

9 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I was 20 years old and in a virgin active after work. It had a mezzanine level with stairs that came down right at the exit counter. I used to go there with my metal in my ears so wasn't aware of anything around me - obviously.

As i decided to leave and come down the stairs, there was a kid roughly my age, busy being resuscitated by other gym goers in the foyer. Was a bit of a shock. I left.

The next day i hear he died. He went to the gym not being 100% after the flu apparently - and hart attack as he walked down the stairs.

Since that day, I rather sit and wait it out too.