Training after Coronavirus

Had a recovery week last week. My first ride back is usually a Saturday and I know I usually push good power that day. I could not make it past 2 hours when I usually do 5 and my HR was all over the place. Okay maybe I wasn't recovered I thought. Sunday jumped on the trainer for a recovery ride and could not ride past an hour even though I was keeping it in zone 1 and 2. My muscles felt this weird aching that I recall feeling when I had Covid. Like it's sore but I haven't been pushing. Resting HR was 10 bpm higher. Daughter got diagnosed with flu today. Decided even though I'm not showing any outside symptoms I'm going to take time of the bike again and take it easy.

I have been thinking of getting that Heart rate variability app to track these things.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Ja he said he's seeing a lot of it .... And chided me for not having the flu shot. It's not lekker. Haven't had a fever like that since I was a kid.

Went to Clicks today to get my flu shot after reading this. H1N1 is in the flu vaccine for 2023. 

My wife and I go for the flu vaccination every April especially the last few year's since we're in that 'high risk' group (age and some other health concerns)

Hoping it'll help more so this time since my daughter (and her 'fake' husband, long story 😜 ) and granddaughter who currently have the piggy flu live with us ... for now

4 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

Had a recovery week last week. My first ride back is usually a Saturday and I know I usually push good power that day. I could not make it past 2 hours when I usually do 5 and my HR was all over the place. Okay maybe I wasn't recovered I thought. Sunday jumped on the trainer for a recovery ride and could not ride past an hour even though I was keeping it in zone 1 and 2. My muscles felt this weird aching that I recall feeling when I had Covid. Like it's sore but I haven't been pushing. Resting HR was 10 bpm higher. Daughter got diagnosed with flu today. Decided even though I'm not showing any outside symptoms I'm going to take time of the bike again and take it easy.

I have been thinking of getting that Heart rate variability app to track these things.

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Garmin body battery gives a good indication too.

The newer gen Garmin hrv and training readiness and hr monitoring are way better than the older ones. I had a 935 and largely ignored it's stats but the 955 I have now is useful. I have a detailed heartbeat by heartbeat record of this illness ... 

It currently says I'm getting better. Just gotta keep my beak clean to try avoid a secondary bacterial invasion now.

I have been of the bike for almost 3 weeks. Started of as a chest infection and just will not clear. Been through antibiotics, cortisone and tamiflu. Now just dosing with vitC to the max. So frustrating.

Tried a zone 2 ride the weekend, hr ok, but muscles sore afterwards. Hopefully the vitamins help.

13 hours ago, W@nted said:

I have been of the bike for almost 3 weeks. Started of as a chest infection and just will not clear. Been through antibiotics, cortisone and tamiflu. Now just dosing with vitC to the max. So frustrating.

Tried a zone 2 ride the weekend, hr ok, but muscles sore afterwards. Hopefully the vitamins help.

During the whole Covid debacle I read up about how to boost your immune system by non pharmaceutical means. The one thing that kept popping up was deliberate Heat exposure.

Ever since, this has been my go-to: (obviously in partnership with vitamins etc):

Before bedtime I take the hottest bath I can physically muster. I run it halfway, relatively hot, but so that I can still get in. Once I'm settled in, I add more hot water, I raise the heat as far as comfortable. They I stay there for about 10mins. Then I get out and "air cool" a while before settling in for the night.

Where I got the idea: MedCram on HEAT HYDROTHERAPY that boosts Immune response - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMEYtKYdZM&t=4758s

"The purpose is not to kill the virus, but to boost the immune response"

Other benefits: Huberman on Deliberate heat exposure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3GjpGq5Y8

I know I'm an isolated case, but I tend to recover quickly from my viral infections by doing this. (My sick leave balance over the past three years tend to agree ;) )

Use it, don't use it.

15 hours ago, W@nted said:

I got a cold, then a bacterial chest infection. Cleared that then this flu. 2 weeks in. I'm coming out of it all now.

Here's the mamil who didn't get his shots anti flu regime.

Salex rinse 4 or 5 times a day. 2 doses mixed with baby nebuliser bronchodilator bombs (don't tell uci) prescribed by doc for this purpose. Head between legs, suck and snort water deep into sinuses and expel. Not too forcefully, you don't want to force infection into ears.

Olbas oil in tub of boiling water (head under towel and inhale for 5 to 8 mins) 4x a day.

Olbas oil on tissue under nose, bedding etc. All the time

VIT C

Amucco 200 3x a day

Pseudoephedrine based decongestant. Used sparingly as as noone wants a snotty mamil charging around on speed like a rabid wildebeest 

Patience.

Minimal movement. Invoke income protection benefit on discovery. Fill in stupid forms.

Tour de Suisse on gcn.

Edited by Mamil
Gram

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

Salex rinse

I swear  by this. Always have a bottle of the mix in the  bathroom. The slightest feeling of nasal drip or throat irritation and I use it.

I used to get a throat infection from nasal drip 3-4 times a year. Doc would try all sorts of meds on me and nothing really worked. Then one day my brother in law suggested a home made saline solution into the nose using a syringe. That worked, then discovered Salex rinse and just for pure convenience over the home made solution its what I now use.

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

During the whole Covid debacle I read up about how to boost your immune system by non pharmaceutical means. The one thing that kept popping up was deliberate Heat exposure.

Ever since, this has been my go-to: (obviously in partnership with vitamins etc):

Before bedtime I take the hottest bath I can physically muster. I run it halfway, relatively hot, but so that I can still get in. Once I'm settled in, I add more hot water, I raise the heat as far as comfortable. They I stay there for about 10mins. Then I get out and "air cool" a while before settling in for the night.

Where I got the idea: MedCram on HEAT HYDROTHERAPY that boosts Immune response - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMEYtKYdZM&t=4758s

"The purpose is not to kill the virus, but to boost the immune response"

Other benefits: Huberman on Deliberate heat exposure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3GjpGq5Y8

I know I'm an isolated case, but I tend to recover quickly from my viral infections by doing this. (My sick leave balance over the past three years tend to agree ;) )

Use it, don't use it.

what about cold baths/showers which according to the clever people ALSO boost the immune system...I have started to finish my hot shower off with a cold shower........crazy I know but what the hell !!

My girlfriend came back from Cape Town at the end of March with a mild touch of 'flu'. Two days later I developed a sore throat, a day later I tested positive for Covid and on 4 April I was admitted to hospital.

Seven weeks later, three of which in ICU, I was finally discharged on 24 May, 18kg lighter. Despite its efficacy, this is not to be recommended as a weight loss program 

I have not been on a bicycle for close on 3 months, nor have I been able to do any other exercise beyond my sessions with the bio-kinetisist.  Hopefully I can start riding by the end of the month.

22 minutes ago, Help.Me. said:

what about cold baths/showers which according to the clever people ALSO boost the immune system...I have started to finish my hot shower off with a cold shower........crazy I know but what the hell !!

Jip, have heard of that one too. BUT, I haven't been brave enough to try it ;) 

26 minutes ago, Help.Me. said:

There are a few studies about hot vs cold for muscle recovery, most say both work and neither is significantly better. In winter it is a lot easier to climb into a sauna than an ice bath and the inverse in summer. But have you done cold therapy without and IG post with a # quote some fad name method of breathing?

36 minutes ago, eddy said:

My girlfriend came back from Cape Town at the end of March with a mild touch of 'flu'. Two days later I developed a sore throat, a day later I tested positive for Covid and on 4 April I was admitted to hospital.

Seven weeks later, three of which in ICU, I was finally discharged on 24 May, 18kg lighter. Despite its efficacy, this is not to be recommended as a weight loss program 

I have not been on a bicycle for close on 3 months, nor have I been able to do any other exercise beyond my sessions with the bio-kinetisist.  Hopefully I can start riding by the end of the month.

good luck with the recovery. This little gogga does not want to go away