Breedtsnek / Maanhaarrand road condition

HO

1 hour ago, nathrix said:

Wouldn’t even ride it on my mtb rigid fork, less so on a gravel bike, both sides is just horrible, full suspension all the way.

Lol. Let me tell you down was terrifying

AVG MAX
Speed 16.4km/h 45.0km/h
Cadence 0 0
Heart Rate 132 bpm

142 bpm

• 60.77km
    Distance
  •  
  • 3:29:34
    Moving Time
  •  
  • 730m
    Elevation
  •  
  • Energy Output
Show Less
  Avg Max
Speed 17.4km/h 53.3km/h
Heart Rate 135bpm 179bpm
Calories 2,258
Temperature 25
Elapsed Time 4:43:57

16 hours ago, Job said:

I think I read some people saying it is not safe to ride solo in that area, so you've always been safe there?

Haven’t ridden it in roughly 2.5yrs now. But it always felt safe. I used to be on the road early, had to clear the baboons still. On the flats you going at a good speed and can see quite far ahead, and on the climb where you are slower and more at risk, I think it’s too much effort for a bike jacker

• 3 months later...

Does anybody know if one can still park at "Breedtsnek parking, Berlouri Farm" ? 

we could last time but found Noble village awesome. some nice pizza afer wards and from there tot he top was 60km on the dot. Payed car guard 10 buck

image.png.f3a4f5d922497550002c04314a0b68e5.png

Bit of feedback for those interested.  Once can still park at "Breedtsnek parking, Berlouri Farm" - R50 per vehicle.  Only one other vehicle arrived as we went on our ride; by the time we got back, we were the only vehicle left. Thus not sure how many people actually used the parking there. It does look "safe" and there were workers around and vehicle all good when we got back.

We only saw about 3 other riders on our ride (passing on our way back); so is was very 'quite'.  There were however a couple of motorcyclist as well as 4x4's up at the top, having breakfast, etc. And further down also a couple of vehicles doing 4x4.  Never felt in any danger or uncomfortable being only 2 mtbikers.  

The ride itself was tougher than what I remember.  The last time I did Breedts (a similar ride to today; i.e. parking to top, down to shack, up to top, back down to shack for round 2 and back up to tap and back to parking lot - just over 70km and +-1,500m ascent) was back in March 2015.  I would like to think that the biggest factor for the "tougher than I remember" is not the fact that one have aged 7 years since then, but the road condition.  

From my recollection the road back in 2015 was good enough so one could actually drive through with a "car", you didn't need a 4x4 and it wasn't rocky, ditches, etc.  There was one patch just as you descent to the shack where it was a bit rocky. 

What I saw today is totally a different picture.  The district road leading up to Breedtsnek (from parking) is fine; the road through Breedtsnek is no more district road... there are good "patches", but the road is so deteriorated that the descent to the shack is not the "adrenalin chase down at 60kmp/h anymore".... it's a 'technical/rocky' descent; with some 4x4 sections :-).  The last little ascent from the tree (parking side) to the top is very rocky and corrugated.  Basically the entire ascent/descent sections from tree to top and top down to shack is corrugated and very rocky.

Previously one could just sit in granny gear and slog out the ascent; now you actually have to concentrate, pick lines through the rocks and work the legs, vs. just spinning.  BUT, having said all this, what a great ride.  The views are great, the peace and quite is awesome.  The more 'technical riding' does give the ride a different feel, but a nice feel.  It breaks the monotony for just pure district road ascending/descending - so was actually very enjoyable. 

What fond memories of previous rides, what an enjoyable ride and great day to spend "freedom day"... free on a mountain bike... what more can we ask for.  

Wow, I'm astounded by how badly that road has deteriorated. 

Back in the day I used to ride it almost every weekend. Frequently alone.

I haven't been up there in a good few years now. Probably since my mom passed in 2014. Things changed and my family have since moved from the farm where some older hubbers may remember meeting up to go on Breedts Nek group rides.

Bittersweet memories watching @nathrix's video. Thanks for sharing :) 

Real pitty road's not been maintained, used to be a great ride. Thanks for the video I was wondering about the road condition.

We're training for Kilimanjaro later this year.

Would Breedts be a safe route for 4 or 5 of us to walk one Sunday? Safe from people, 4x4's and motorbikes? Obviously, cyclists would just smile and wave...

We'd probably do about 8 km up and then u-turn back to the start?

Where should we park?

Edited by Spirog
Spelling

1 minute ago, Spirog said:

We're training for Kilimanjaro later this year.

Would Breedts be a safe route for 4 or 5 of us to walk one Sunday? Safe from people, 4x4's and motorbikes? Obviously, cyclists would just smile and wave...

We'd probably do about 8 km up and then u-turn back to the start?

Wher should we park?

I'm not familiar with what type of exercise one would need to climb Kilimanjaro, but if you're looking for "gravel road" with some ascent to walk, then I guess breedts will do. But, from the closest parking it is 25km to the top of breedts (on the south side).  Check Google maps for: "Breedtsnek parking, Berlouri Farm".  Cost is R50 per car.

This is a gradual climb of about 550m ascent from parking to the top (over the 25km).  Most (probably 300m) of the ascent is in the last 5km (20km to 25km).  On the "other side" (north side), the down/up is about 5km (top to bottom) and about 375m ascent/descent.

If you have a 4x4 you can ride to the top of breedts, park there and walk up and down (either side).  I think if you walk in a group it would be safe.  I wouldn't advise walking by yourself, but a group of 5 should be fine.

13 minutes ago, ACM said:

I'm not familiar with what type of exercise one would need to climb Kilimanjaro, but if you're looking for "gravel road" with some ascent to walk, then I guess breedts will do. But, from the closest parking it is 25km to the top of breedts (on the south side).  

This is a gradual climb of about 550m ascent from parking to the top (over the 25km).  Most (probably 300m) of the ascent is in the last 5km (20km to 25km).  On the "other side" (north side), the down/up is about 5km (top to bottom) and about 375m ascent/descent.

If you have a 4x4 you can ride to the top of breedts, park there and walk up and down (either side).  I think if you walk in a group it would be safe.  I wouldn't advise walking by yourself, but a group of 5 should be fine.

The only training is to walk, walk and walk. We carry our backpacks with about 12 kg of weight. I like that the route is rough and rocky as it will give us the challenge of route as much as ascent.

Where would we park to do the "other side"?

15 minutes ago, Spirog said:

The only training is to walk, walk and walk. We carry our backpacks with about 12 kg of weight. I like that the route is rough and rocky as it will give us the challenge of route as much as ascent.

Where would we park to do the "other side"?

You can park at Sparkling Waters or Canopy Tours, should give you around 10km to the top. Short section will be on tar road.