Good tyre for 29'er XC ?

JohnnyReggae

I'm wanting to replace my current tyres and am looking for some recommendations.

Currently using Maxxis Cross Mark 29x2.1 which have worked really nicely. They are old due to sitting around while I was commuting to work with other commuter slicks. The riding I'm doing is XC in Tokai with a bit of tar to get there and back.

Any recommendations for a good tyre that is not going to break the bank, something surprisingly good and good value for money ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the ray en ralph combo not too bad in my eyes have been serving me for 6000km without any punctures etc., but i need to change now, anyone know where to find Onza Canis? 

Maxxis Ardent Race up front and Ikon at the back. you get them in 2.25 width. They are light, good puncture protection and fast rolling XC tyres

Like this combo for the OP's description of where he rides.

However, I prefer the 2.35" width - yes, they're a little heavier, but my experience with this width is that they tend to roll even better than the 2.25".

Mezcal 2.25 in the rear with the Barzo 2.35 in the front. I ran 2.35 in the rear originally and it worked like a charm. 

The Mezcal 2.35 gave me close to 5000km before I swopped it out. I think it may still have had some life left (probably another 500km or so) but I had to top up the sealant and I had the tire so I just decided to swop it out

I'm wanting to replace my current tyres and am looking for some recommendations.

Currently using Maxxis Cross Mark 29x2.1 which have worked really nicely. They are old due to sitting around while I was commuting to work with other commuter slicks. The riding I'm doing is XC in Tokai with a bit of tar to get there and back.

Any recommendations for a good tyre that is not going to break the bank, something surprisingly good and good value for money ?

Pirelli Scorpion MTB XC S on the front

Pirelli Scorpion MTB XC Rear or Race on the rear

fast rolling combo with great grip from the Soft terrain tyre on the front,

Any thoughts on the schawlbe racing ray and Ralph combo

Very fast light combo that is really for racing only as they don't last very long

Any thoughts on a Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo 29 X2.25?

Or rather Barzo front and back?

Barzo Barzo good for loose soft conditions.

Barzo saguaro good for fast loose over hard terrain

If you were happy with the crossmark and you are looking for good value then you have your answer, they are the cheapest tyre ever, always on sale, although in my opinion they are terrible XC tyres  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by Jbr

If you were happy with the crossmark and you are looking for good value then you have your answer, they are the cheapest tyre ever, always on sale, although in my opinion they are terrible XC tyres  :lol:  :lol:

That's probably why they came with my bike when I bought it back then  :)

If I can get better for a little more then I'll definitely check that out. Some good suggestions so far. Ill need to see which ones to go for now though.

Any thoughts on the schawlbe racing ray and Ralph combo

They're a good combo, I just find that the Racing Ralph doesn't have much grip in dry conditions or on gravel when braking. And if you ride on tar often then you will replace your tires often as well.

Mezcal 2.25 in the rear with the Barzo 2.35 in the front. I ran 2.35 in the rear originally and it worked like a charm. 

The Mezcal 2.35 gave me close to 5000km before I swopped it out. I think it may still have had some life left (probably another 500km or so) but I had to top up the sealant and I had the tire so I just decided to swop it out

I did the Sani in December with this combo. Handled the mud well (except the part where not even  motocross motorbike tyres would have helped!) Very happy with them!

That's probably why they came with my bike when I bought it back then  :)

If I can get better for a little more then I'll definitely check that out. Some good suggestions so far. Ill need to see which ones to go for now though.

I only know Maxxis, I believe the Ardent would be a good fit for you. The Ardent race is I believe a little like the Rekon race (which I use) a little too racy when you want to be cost effective. The tiny knobblies don't last much, especially on the rear tyre.