Have the roads hit new levels of chaos?

Mountain Bru

We started at the Circus yesterday, headed out south beyond Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve. At times we were riding without a car in sight for Km at a time. One stretch of road between Heidelberg and the Vaal dam was the only exception.

If it wasn’t for the wind rushing passed my helmet straps, and the wheels rolling on the tar, there would have been silence. Absolute Bliss!

I dislike having to drive somewhere to ride, but this was sublime. Will be back once a month for the foreseeable future. Minimal glass on the roads, smooth tar and filled potholes.

Do you have a gpx file for the route? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last week Thursday, around 10:00 am, I'm stopped at a stop street, waiting to turn onto a quite busy road (Pomona road).

I'm close to the left of the road, track standing, red light blinking furiously on seat tube, lots of cars whizzing past, so I can't go, and the next thing whack, I'm on the floor.

Retarded driver (Zimbabwean with no papers and driving a bakkie with no license disc) simply drove into the back of me.

Guy driving the truck behind him gets out, comes around and shows the Zimbo my flashing red light and asks him if he's blind.

Be careful out there.

Last week Thursday, around 10:00 am, I'm stopped at a stop street, waiting to turn onto a quite busy road (Pomona road).

I'm close to the left of the road, track standing, red light blinking furiously on seat tube, lots of cars whizzing past, so I can't go, and the next thing whack, I'm on the floor.

Retarded driver (Zimbabwean with no papers and driving a bakkie with no license disc) simply drove into the back of me.

Guy driving the truck behind him gets out, comes around and shows the Zimbo my flashing red light and asks him if he's blind.

Be careful out there.

I hope that you weren't hurt or your bike damaged.

When people say 'be careful out there' -  there is only so much you can do with keeping left, wearing a helmet, having lights on etc. The rest is up to everyone out there to do their thing.

Be careful out there.

Glad you are ok ????????

Bakkie you say?

I hope that you weren't hurt or your bike damaged.

When people say 'be careful out there' -  there is only so much you can do with keeping left, wearing a helmet, having lights on etc. The rest is up to everyone out there to do their thing.

100% correct

I've just come back from helping a colleague who ran out of fuel. Emergency hazards going, emergency triangle 100m away. About 100m from teh emergency triangle is a traffic light. Both cars as far left as we can. 2 lanes, and the stretch of road after the traffic light is only around 200-300m long and not particularly busy right now.

We still had cars barely missing us.

Glad you are ok

Bakkie you say?

There is a huge difference between a roadworthy 750k double cab bakkie and an unroadworthy 19voetsek skedonk driven by an unlicenced driver.................I see you constantly paint them all with the same brush  :ph34r:

There is a huge difference between a roadworthy 750k double cab bakkie and an unroadworthy 19voetsek skedonk driven by an unlicenced driver.................I see you constantly paint them all with the same brush  :ph34r:

Yeah those R750k ones are the worst!

Driving to work daily I find myself wishing that they would invent a camera that takes pictures of cars that don’t keep a safe following distance. Traffic authorities would make a killing.

I’m driving 90 km a day to work and back mostly on highways where the speed limit is 120kmh, I pass 4 permanently fixed speed cameras a day, plus at least another 2 mobile cameras, but the biggest fu i see on the roads are the majority of drivers who have no idea about safe following distances.

Be careful out there.

Glad you ok to tell the tale

What was the bakkie drivers reaction, did he earn a flattie?

A few months back I had to take my dog to the vet....I left around 8am so the roads were quiet...
I took the back way to the vet as its an easier drive with less stops and corners and less chance of my dog feeling even worse...

Came up to a 4 way stop...Saw the road was clear....except for one cyclist...still far enough away to stop...No problem.

So I pulled away...But this dunce doesnt stop. I just hit the brakes in time and this muppet swerved, shot past me...hit the curb sqaure on and did a OTB in a spectacular fashion...

I jumped out of the car and go check on the guy,,he is OK, bit winded and some scrapes etc but ok..Relief....

Then I Looked at the bike....NO BRAKES...not front...not rear...No brake handles or calipers...nothing.
Front wheel still Ok though!

I gave the moron a piece of my mind and left...I could have been in serious legal crap (in adition to a damaged car) if I had connected with him even though he had no brakes...

Damn those wannabe roadies..... :thumbup:
Not always the cars you need to watch for....

Edited by Mojoman

Be careful out there.

The screwed up thing about these incidents is that there's not really much you can do to prevent it. With lots of other things, you can choose quiet roads with a decent shoulder, go out early before traffic, wear bright clothing and lights etc, but there's not much you can do to prevent a guy collecting you from behind at a red robot.

These bakkies don't drive themselves...