SRAM bring AXS wireless ecosystem to GX Eagle drivetrain

News bot

You should be able to just replace the shifter and derailleur. I'd keep a Shimano chain on the Shimano cassette though (although it's not strictly necessary it should provide better shift quality).

of course, you're right, then it's all the same except for the two jockey wheels !

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of my XTR 12 SPD, but now if I want to go for this groupset, I'll have to buy a new cassette, possibly also a freehub ?

I'm quite happy with my Force AXS, the worst component being the brakes imo. So why not AXS also on my MTB, that will probably solve my shifting issues on my scalpel that I love on all the other aspects (than the *** shifting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xoIYdGspM

So pretty much going from aluminium to steel saves 400$ ? They get their aluminium from space ??

You can keep the microspline freehub and Shimano cassette and use it with the GX system no problem.

Most of the weight in the GX AXS rear derailleur is in the jockey pulley cage. You could probably replace this very stiff steel cage with the upcoming Csixx bling bling alloy SRAM jockey pulley cage and still have a saving over X01 or XX1 and xtr.

Functionally it's the same as it's more expensive family members with the added clutch bolt cover and battery protection cover which doesn't have to be fitted if you want to save a few grams.

It's very impressive. The shifter feels the same as the XX1 axs just a little heavier

You can keep the microspline freehub and Shimano cassette and use it with the GX system no problem.

Most of the weight in the GX AXS rear derailleur is in the jockey pulley cage. You could probably replace this very stiff steel cage with the upcoming Csixx bling bling alloy SRAM jockey pulley cage and still have a saving over X01 or XX1 and xtr.

Functionally it's the same as it's more expensive family members with the added clutch bolt cover and battery protection cover which doesn't have to be fitted if you want to save a few grams.

It's very impressive. The shifter feels the same as the XX1 axs just a little heavier

Awesome, I'm sold, just need some cash now  :D  :lol:

I'm sick of my XTR 12 SPD, but now if I want to go for this groupset, I'll have to buy a new cassette, possibly also a freehub ?

I'm quite happy with my Force AXS, the worst component being the brakes imo. So why not AXS also on my MTB, that will probably solve my shifting issues on my scalpel that I love on all the other aspects (than the *** shifting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xoIYdGspM

So pretty much going from aluminium to steel saves 400$ ? They get their aluminium from space ??

This guy reckons that if you ride a shimano 12 speed cassette and chain combined with a axs setup you'll actually have better shifting.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/drivetrain/a-mismatch-made-in-heaven-xtr-axs/

SRAM pricing is as usual insane. Basic brake pads are R150 more than Shimano... the list goes on. I know one shop owner who is gatvol. You can still get the stuff in from overseas if you are clever. That's what I would do.  

Opportunity for Wolftooth to produce replacement jockey wheels for your AXS derailleur?  So you can run that Shimano 1x12 chain with confidence...

Csixx ad SRAM jockey pulley wheels don't seem to care what 12speed chain you run

I will wait for my next Business trip to Germany - 9K for the same kit

Did a little quick maf this morning. I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong, if he buys it for me at current exchange rate and brings it along next time he flies to SA I am looking at 9k at most. Under normal circumstances that would be every two weeks, with Covid I don't know when though... hopefully soon.

Did a little quick maf this morning. I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong, if he buys it for me at current exchange rate and brings it along next time he flies to SA I am looking at 9k at most. Under normal circumstances that would be every two weeks, with Covid I don't know when though... hopefully soon.

Yeah same, been waiting for 1 year to go back to france see the family... I usually always bring back loads of parts  :lol:

Is there an explanation why there is a R3-R4k difference in the pricing - I understand exchange rates play a part in this but why does is feel like we get the short end of the stick with this pricing? Not pointing fingers at any dealers or suppliers - I know it's tough out there so please don't bite  :)

Is there an explanation why there is a R3-R4k difference in the pricing - I understand exchange rates play a part in this but why does is feel like we get the short end of the stick with this pricing? Not pointing fingers at any dealers or suppliers - I know it's tough out there so please don't bite  :)

its as hard as convincing a 5 year old that unicorns don't exist

Our dealers pay duties on bicycle components when imported above a certain value?

Its not the exchange rate - I worked out 9K at Euro ROE of 18.5 in fact i can get Euro today on Shyft for 17.9 so it would cost me about 8.7K

I think the difference is locally there are more companies in the margin chain - OEM -> Importer -> LBS which adds over 30% to the price.

Most online shops in Europe are supplied direct from the OEM.

I work for a German company with a local importer and we dictate how much the local importer can markup, its now where near the numbers that bike parts are marked up.