947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

There were lots of medics and support vehicles all over the route, a big thanks to all of them. 

I can't see why people would live there though as riding that event was like doing an IDT inside a used porta-pottie. In simple terms, it stank. The sewerage flowing into the estate at the top section is a disgrace, especially as we had to cross the sh!t river flowing in. (ok, granted some politicians need to get shot for that not the organisers) 

Apart from too much single track which created traffic jams and back logs it wasn't too bad. 

And whom ever put the beer tent by the incoming finish line deserves a case of beer himself. Those chaps having beers were giving each late rider a big welcome home ????????????????

Now to go get my ecoli test done 

Edited by 117
Speeeling

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Apart from too much single track which created traffic jams and back logs it wasn't too bad. 

The sewage was a bit much in places. I liked the single track very much. Found sufficient opprtunity to get past slower riders.

Very cool course IMO, started in E, only got caught in a couple of bottlenecks in the singletrack about halfway through.

That smelly section was the only thing I can really complain about, otherwise the route flowed well. all that concrete made it really fast. 

Saw the big boys managed a 28kmh average! 

4 minutes ago, Furbz said:

are people ok with the amount of pavement riding on the course?

At least for the 25km, it was at the start and end mostly, so did not bother me that much. Gave me plenty of space to get out of the bunch and had open trails for most of the ride. 

any one else very disappointed with the mtb race ?

the smell was strong enough to chew in the air !!

then to be sent through black water ,no palate or any thing , just straight through it ?

rest of the race was average at best . for the amount it cost to the value of the ride and sewage . never again .

14 minutes ago, Douglang123 said:

any one else very disappointed with the mtb race ?

the smell was strong enough to chew in the air !!

then to be sent through black water ,no palate or any thing , just straight through it ?

rest of the race was average at best . for the amount it cost to the value of the ride and sewage . never again .

Agree, the sewage was terrible and the seeding was also chaos which had me standing still at various points for a total of 20 minutes.... Will do it again if there is no poo poo to go through and seeding will be done better.

46 minutes ago, Furbz said:

are people ok with the amount of pavement riding on the course?

A bit too much of it but it was liveable. The single track was mostly pretty good.

1 hour ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I really enjoyed this years route, it was better than some races in the past with jeep track being replaced with cart paths I suppose. 

Never has a pool (lagoon?) called me by name! That was brutal to take us past that!!

I very nearly took a B-Line into the deep end when I saw it

I enjoyed it. Very well organised.  The  river/sewage smell was the same as last year so no surprises there.  Lots more people than last year so a couple of bottle necks. Telling myself the mud on me was just mud.....  

Beer tent was very  welcome shade and even more welcome cold beverages.  

On 11/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, ouzo said:

Is it wrong that I really like the branded kit they have this year?

will I look like a dork if I wear it a few years down the line ?image.png.51150a2fc0367ed2d5555de5cfeeb3ef.png

I saw pictures of people wearing the kit from this weekend, scrap that idea, did not look as good as the promotional pics.

1 hour ago, Red Robin said:

I enjoyed it. Very well organised.  The  river/sewage smell was the same as last year so no surprises there.  Lots more people than last year so a couple of bottle necks. Telling myself the mud on me was just mud.....  

Beer tent was very  welcome shade and even more welcome cold beverages.  

This is what kept me away this year, and the price tag.

I would rather go to thaba trails (or any other place) any other sunday, I put some petrol, pay the entrance fee, have a nice coffee and breakfast afterward and maybe have some change left????

8 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

*Gets the disc brake bike ready just in case*

Bit concerned about it all. 50km/h gusts. With possible rain. Some people wearing spectacles. Some on bikes with disc brakes and some with rim brakes.  Lots of novices and lots of people in packs. Lots of crashes.... (?) Maybe better to just stay home.

Edited by MudLark