947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

1 hour ago, GaryvdM said:

Was this your first 947?  If not you should know you need to get their early. If yes, know you know. Either way, the organisers should NOT be shot. 

For me, coming from the north on the N1 south, then Rand Show road, the traffic was much less than the traffic at Riversands.

Exactly!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After complaining bitterly that the start had been moved to FNB Stadium so we could not ride there, I eat my words and dof my hat at the organisers.

A fantastic event , excellent organising and superb route.

Well done to all involved!!!

51 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I’ll post more words later. 
@gremlin was lekker meeting you. 
21C45F50-5C62-47A0-A409-75708F2CC116.jpeg.8f88bd34e2fbd0878b065013cbafcbbe.jpeg

Race de brief

Firstly getting to the venue and in and out is a breeze compared to Steyn City, initially when I went to fetch my race number I was not impressed, but race day proved otherwise. It might be though that there are a lot fewer riders this year. 

Secondly, I did not have fun. But it was probably my fault  

I was nervous for some reason at the start, made me nauseous. But I moved to the front and decided I was going to hang on at least until Kyalami. I think this was a mistake. 
I knew the pace was to hard from me 5km in, but I stuck it out, but when we started climbing after Grayston I decided it was not sustainable. By that time I had already burnt to many matches. 

On my own I settled into a rhythm at a steady pace until a tandem came past and I hooked on until the top of woodmead exit. I let them go after that but at the same time started riding with a chap from F group. We rode together until just after Douglasdale suburb, just keeping a pace slightly more than steady and having a nice chat. 

I stopped for a pee as we turned right out of Douglasdale and from there just kind of rode on my own. 

I pass Gremlin heading towards the zoo, he recognized my name on my number and shouted out, so we rode a little way together. 

After climbing back onto the highway I put my head down and grabbed any tow I could find until then end. 

I didn’t get the time I initially planned, nor my 3:20 weather revised time, but I achieved my PB for the race. Previous was 3:28 back in 2001 on a shorter route and 20 years younger.  So I’m happy with my achievement. 

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Have you had any luck with the finish time app?

keeps showing no races

No, the results shows on the 947 Ride Joburg website.

To add to what was already said, organisation was (unexpectedly) good congrats Faces/Advendurance.

Would have liked a water table at the end, but our food at the Spur and stall next to it was served in 5mins.

2 hours ago, GaryvdM said:

Was this your first 947?  If not you should know you need to get their early. If yes, know you know. Either way, the organisers should NOT be shot. 

For me, coming from the north on the N1 south, then Rand Show road, the traffic was much less than the traffic at Riversands.

No. My fifth. We planned so as to be able to be in the parking an hour ahead of time but got badly messed around (and a great many other cars found themselves having the same issue) by the Marshalls etc and sworn are for no good reason. I have explained above. I have nothing further to add.

Well done all.

May I offer a piece of perspective for your experiences on the day? I decided not to ride this year - not been a great year for me and I wasn't up for the challenge - and I went for a ride in the Cradle to enjoy the P & Q.  At 0715 on Beyers near to Valverde, a youngster rode up to me, decked out in his race number astride his bike etc, and asked where FNB stadium was as his start group was 0830... After a quick chat, I sent him off southbound down Beyers and wished him well. Yes, his planning left a lot to be desired, but his finances weren't such for him to be able to afford transport to the race. BUT he was up for the challenge and wasn't about to let a +/-40 km ride to the start through JHB dampening his spirit. I hope he made the start (any start!) and the ride back home and enjoyed his day.

Rode with group I trained with. Found parking easy, short ride to start, easy access to batch group, the water points we stopped at were well stocked, nice over cast weather (hardly noticed wind) route I found easier than previous and finished feeling I could carry on, exit through finish quick and efficient. Was sceptical about new start and finish but for me beats Steyn City easily. 

Had a great time, 3.53 for my first ride joburg and my longest ride I've ever done...I'll call that a win.

Didn't push too hard as I didn't know what to expect.

No traffic from the east.

Found great parking, can't complain at all.

Will def join again.

I was just shocked at how many mechanicals and punctures along the way, and like 3 to 4 guys came short, some scary graces.

41 minutes ago, scotty said:

Rode with group I trained with. Found parking easy, short ride to start, easy access to batch group, the water points we stopped at were well stocked, nice over cast weather (hardly noticed wind) route I found easier than previous and finished feeling I could carry on, exit through finish quick and efficient. Was sceptical about new start and finish but for me beats Steyn City easily. 

I finished quite buggered to be honest. Found the route tougher with all the climbing at the end. But I suppose it always depends on the training you have put in.

8 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

I definitely think this route is both easier and nicer to race than the previous one, but that last headwind made the final sprint an insanely painful experience! 

I think the tail wind pushing us over the climbs coming back has been underestimated by many. 
I definitely felt like I was going up quicker than than the condition of my legs should have been able to push me