947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

6 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am sure she was riding with a gps, why not set up the route to follow the course?

It sucks for everyone but the organizers had to make a call and there would be controversy either way.

Seeing the cones blocking off my GPS loaded route and the lead car turning right I would assume for some reason there was a last minute route change and follow the car, not my GPS.

100% on the second sentence there. No possible good outcome after the colossal stuff-up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Just suck it up and accept that you can't win a race if you take a shortcut"

No. If an obvious and serious error by the organizers causes a professional to unknowingly deviate from the route you are not "taking a shortcut" and you should absolutely not be sucking it up. 

14 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am sure she was riding with a gps, why not set up the route to follow the course?

Wait, isn't that a CSA lead car? I would think they have a GPS and actually are supposed to know the route. No rider should be expected to question where they are led by that car.

The lead car and driver is supplied by the organiser, not CSA. 

Yes, a shortcut and advantage was had by taking the incorrect route. Instead of climbing over a total blockage, the correct thing to do would be to turn around and go back to where you went off course. This is the same rule in all these types of sport. 

In the rules it states that its your responsibility to know the route. It was on the website, the gpx was emailed and there are enough places that indicate which way around you should go. Sometimes the lead vehicles do deviate from the route, especially where its dangerous to have a vehicle on the same part as the cyclist. 

If her manager was there, why did he not correct them? And Im sorry, her manager does not understand road cycling and is not putting her in a better light in my eyes.

It is a **** situation, but if you listen to Ashleighs interview, where she stated that there was confusion, because before Kyalami the gap was 1:30 and after it was 3:30. A 2min advantage is not a small advantage, especially taking in mind that Ash finished les than a minute behind her.

Congrats to her for taking the chance and going early, but it was too big a mistake to ignore.

5 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

Instead of climbing over a total blockage, the correct thing to do would be to turn around and go back to where you went off course. This is the same rule in all these types of sport. 

Good point actually

7 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

Yes, a shortcut and advantage was had by taking the incorrect route. Instead of climbing over a total blockage, the correct thing to do would be to turn around and go back to where you went off course. This is the same rule in all these types of sport. 

In the rules it states that its your responsibility to know the route. It was on the website, the gpx was emailed and there are enough places that indicate which way around you should go. Sometimes the lead vehicles do deviate from the route, especially where its dangerous to have a vehicle on the same part as the cyclist. 

If her manager was there, why did he not correct them? And Im sorry, her manager does not understand road cycling and is not putting her in a better light in my eyes.

It is a **** situation, but if you listen to Ashleighs interview, where she stated that there was confusion, because before Kyalami the gap was 1:30 and after it was 3:30. A 2min advantage is not a small advantage, especially taking in mind that Ash finished les than a minute behind her.

Congrats to her for taking the chance and going early, but it was too big a mistake to ignore.

Much more eloquently put than my ramblings. It is a horrible situation and it seems like the blame should probably fall on that cone blocking the left turn causing the confusion. 

Edited by Sid the Sloth
Probably*

29 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

Don't come here and argue with sound logic and a level head.

We don't do that here...

(READ - well put)

29 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

ag crap man. it's not a navigation race. here's also in the rules.

if you're following the lead car and it goes "off course" do you assume it has got lost or the route has changed??

the only way to sort this out was immediately. they had a time gap. restore it after kyalami to what it was. but that would require people to know what was going on. not having marshals in the first place means they didn't have ducks in a row to start with.

this took place 43km into a 97km race, not even halfway.

• The routes will be as supplied and participants must familiarise themselves with the route they are riding. The Organising Committee reserves the right to alter the routes in accordance with safety, traffic, construction or other constraints. No protest relating to deviation will be entertained.

14 minutes ago, Carbon_Kooi said:

To spice up the discussion, should all the other riders that took the wrong turn on Kyalami get a DQ too?

If the bar has been set then yes. Fair is fair.

Wonder who moved the cone

#askngforafriend