947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Can we please get the terminology right, before Cones are targeted unfairly. That was not a cone, it was a Traffic Delineator

#WordsMatter

image.png.7746e7e4f5c08c7ba07ac445f133bd50.png

Wait. You're telling me anyone can just buy these..? ????

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

Wait. You're telling me anyone can just buy these..? ????

Sorry to break it to, but they do ask for your Tenderpreneur Number before handing them over....

Doesn't matter which way you unpack it. The person in charge of the lead car screwed it up. Not even the Garmin GPS on my bike with GPX file uploaded onto it got it wrong. You'd expect the lead car to know *exactly* what the correct route is, especially so on a confusing part such as this. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

You can only see the age group category you were in, if open seeded. I started in VD, but my category result shows in Open 40-49.

44556D0F-AA5D-4590-8FD7-D1DC00B1E6AA.png

Thanks Frosty.   I was looking for the start batch data since it was always available with the RaceTec timing.    B.T.W   I see on FinishTime website it refers to RaceTec on the bottom - same company? 

Kudo`s to the organizers. this was most probably my nicest 94.7 ever, access to venue was great, parking was superb, organization was good if a little distant, route was great, enjoyed the extra drag on the highway to Nasrec. Not cycling fit I realized yesterday and my ass was/is in pain, but quiet chuffed with a 3:43 on my 13 year old 26" Trance, knobblies, last weeks mud and all. I will be back.

P.S. My heart goes out to Emma. The race was hers and the only part where the organizers/race marshals stuffed up, there should have been a marshal to direct the flow onto the track or in the very least an arrow pointing which way to go or some tape accross the track to block the no entry side towards the right.

50 minutes ago, Ashchest said:

Thanks Frosty.   I was looking for the start batch data since it was always available with the RaceTec timing.    B.T.W   I see on FinishTime website it refers to RaceTec on the bottom - same company? 

No, that Racetec is an Aussie company. Graeme Vincent runs a small tech business in Perth, Aus.

We investigated using them for our race, once we knew 947 were going to use them. Due to covid, we didn’t know how many entries we’d get, so couldn’t provide sufficient data to warrant using them. Maybe next year, who knows. I like the idea of a permanent number as a race number. 

Edited by Frosty

20 minutes ago, Frosty said:

We investigated using them for our race, once we knew 947 were going to use them. Due to covid, we didn’t know how many entries we’d get, so couldn’t provide sufficient data to warrant using them. Maybe next year, who knows. I like the idea of a permanent number as a race number. 

If more organisers would think like this.............Get CSA to run CSA race and the rest (us) fall under "Sportive" events with permanent race numbers that gets activated upon payment.

Man one person at the gate and if a number passes the entry gate and it was not "paid" for the race all the bells and alarms must go off with an intercom shouting "thief thief thief"
Or something like that.

Edited by Spinnekop

21 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

If more organisers would think like this.............Get CSA to run CSA race and the rest (us) fall under "Sportive" events with permanent race numbers that gets activated upon payment.

Man one person at the gate and if a number passes the entry gate and it was not "paid" for the race all the bells and alarms must go off with an intercom shouting "thief thief thief"
Or something like that.

Make sure it's linked to your credit card. If scanned and shows not paid, they automatically bill you an entry with a penalty.

23 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Any idea if the other ladies racing sent out a condolences to Emma and backed her or they just happy they moved up a spot? 

Tiffany Keep posted on Ride Joberg Facebook that the turn was confusing for the chasing ladies and she would have followed the lead car if she was I the same position 

2 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

Tiffany Keep posted on Ride Joberg Facebook that the turn was confusing for the chasing ladies and she would have followed the lead car if she was I the same position 

It's gotta be a tough decision when the car goes right but you know/feel you should go left...throw in the racing stress and it becomes really, really difficult.

Really sad that a split second decision and a clueless driver/official ruined her race.

The pic that Emma posted on her FB page and her write up is clear as mud. Honestly anyone in that situation would of done exactly the same. I really feel for her and quiet honestly think she got screwed over.

The top pic is the cone position when she hit the track. Bottom is when the lead men went through. 

Makes one wonder if the cone perhaps became dislodged in the time between and someone replaced it in the incorrect spot...

Pic1.jpg

9 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

The pic that Emma posted on her FB page and her write up is clear as mud. Honestly anyone in that situation would of done exactly the same. I really feel for her and quiet honestly think she got screwed over.

The top pic is the cone position when she hit the track. Bottom is when the lead men went through. 

Makes one wonder if the cone perhaps became dislodged in the time between and someone replaced it in the incorrect spot...

Pic1.jpg

Bingo that solves it, I reckon you`re 100% right, it blew over and some idiot replaced it in the wrong spot either accidentally or intentionally.