947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

On the topic of DNF...there are also a couple of riders that started in the wrong groups earlier than there indicated time...saw about two riders on course with later starting times already cycling. Although they will receive a medal it will count as a DNF.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its excellent to see such hype and interest in the Elite Womans race. Such a pity its for all the wrong reasons though.

Anyone else feel like there should be a spotlight and some TV time for the VETS and Tandems? There are a few official teams and sponsors in these groups that I believe should get some exposure. The VETS racing groups account for a huge portion of the "racing" and zero to little mention of any of it. Its not surprising to see the size of the racing bunches shrinking.

Got dropped of near the venue. Had a nice get together with my clubbies . We all started in F. Got dropped by my pals almost immediately after the start. Few of us found a nice group all the way to Kayalami. There I had to make a pitstop . Then a  few kms further I stopped to greet my sister . 

Found my pal on top of Jan Smuts. Rode past my old school where I started standard six fifty years ago. From there my mate pulled me home all the way in  3.21. My club mates had absolutely no remorse for dropping me, but made it up with boerie rolls and beers. 

The stadium is awesome. From my side the event was well organised. As far as the route goes, I think the logistics and effort of closing off numerous crossings outweighs the scenery that may be gained.

I had a nice day.  

29 minutes ago, Blokman said:

Got dropped of near the venue. Had a nice get together with my clubbies . We all started in F. Got dropped by my pals almost immediately after the start. Few of us found a nice group all the way to Kayalami. There I had to make a pitstop . Then a  few kms further I stopped to greet my sister . 

Found my pal on top of Jan Smuts. Rode past my old school where I started standard six fifty years ago. From there my mate pulled me home all the way in  3.21. My club mates had absolutely no remorse for dropping me, but made it up with boerie rolls and beers. 

The stadium is awesome. From my side the event was well organised. As far as the route goes, I think the logistics and effort of closing off numerous crossings outweighs the scenery that may be gained.

I had a nice day.  

Albion Wheelers ?

Was my first ever road race started @ 8:20 finished in 2h.48min what a race what a vibe , I must have passed over 2000 people , was a solo effort all the way to the finish. It was by far the best race I have ever attended, loved the hills and landmarks, and supporters all over the show . My only gripe was the stingy race pack, the fact that I had to pick up the race pack on a separate day , is a real pain in the butt especially if you coming from Mpumalanga!! They should at least offer delivery of the race pack , and the vaccination thing nearly had me not attending, as I rushed to get the second vacation before the 7 day cut off. But the race itself was amazing and will definitely be back next year this time starting with much faster riders????????????

FWIW, I set new season PBs for the following power durations:

3m, 5m, 6m, 12m, 20m and 60m.

and no, it wasn’t sucking wheel in the bunch, but rather on my ace after being dropped while fighting gravity. Rode most of the second half at a pace I thought I could sustain for the time I’d hope to finish in. Was a good race of two halves; an easy-ish bunch rode and a hard ITT.

13 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

How many cars do you think got stolen? As I was leaving I heard a guy saying his car was stolen ????

I also heard of a couple's Hilux double cab that was stolen. Her first 94.7, took them many hours and a real bummer to get back to

33 minutes ago, wattnow said:

Its excellent to see such hype and interest in the Elite Womans race. Such a pity its for all the wrong reasons though.

Anyone else feel like there should be a spotlight and some TV time for the VETS and Tandems? There are a few official teams and sponsors in these groups that I believe should get some exposure. The VETS racing groups account for a huge portion of the "racing" and zero to little mention of any of it. Its not surprising to see the size of the racing bunches shrinking.

Vets should not be on TV or Racing
(I am a Vet and regularly race with the guys)

Get the SPORT up and running and push all those sponsors to get PRO racing in SA back on track.
Category 1,2,3
Men and Ladies.
Ability

Everything from there is "Sportive"

My lousy 2c

6 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Vets should not be on TV or Racing
(I am a Vet and regularly race with the guys)

Get the SPORT up and running and push all those sponsors to get PRO racing in SA back on track.
Category 1,2,3
Men and Ladies.
Ability

Everything from there is "Sportive"

My lousy 2c

Sad reality, but that's how life works 

On a happier note, its awesome to read all the folks race stories and results, brings back memories.

2007 94.7 was the last road cycling event I did in SA albeit it undertrained and on a borrowed bike and starting in Cat PP, still managed to keep my all 94.7's under 3 hr's record intact by squeaking in with 2:59:35....definitely would not manage that now...????

1 minute ago, SwissVan said:

Sad reality, but that's how life works 

On a happier note, its awesome to read all the folks race stories and results, brings back memories.

2007 94.7 was the last road cycling event I did in SA albeit it undertrained and on a borrowed bike and starting in Cat PP, still managed to keep my all 94.7's under 3 hr's record intact by squeaking in with 2:59:35....definitely would not manage that now...????

Eish no Swissie........you getting fat and unfit now?  heheheheh.

On a positive note, I have noticed the past 3-6 months that the Elite laaities' racing is slowly picking up.  Faster, stronger and more aggressive.
Good to see and good for the sport.  Their time on that route was, in my opinion, super!

23 minutes ago, Roland colavizza said:

Was my first ever road race started @ 8:20 finished in 2h.48min what a race what a vibe , I must have passed over 2000 people , was a solo effort all the way to the finish. SNIP

That is an insanely good time if you started at 8h20 and did it all on your own. And your first race on top of that?! Well Done!

My nomination for ride-of-the-day...

3 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Eish no Swissie........you getting fat and unfit now?  heheheheh.

On a positive note, I have noticed the past 3-6 months that the Elite laaities' racing is slowly picking up.  Faster, stronger and more aggressive.
Good to see and good for the sport.  Their time on that route was, in my opinion, super!

Fixed...would need to loose 10 kg's ????