947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Out of the 19 I've done since 1998, this is by far the easiest and nicest route.

Never like any of the clock wise routes. The anti clock wise ones from the early years had brutal never ending climb after climb after climb. It felt like there was no rest between the climbs. this route atleast has enough time between each climb to rest the legs.

I agree, this new route is better, you don't kill yourself on the early climbs then limp home the rest of the way, this route you get halfway with ease and then dig deep the rest of the way is much better for me - don't forget this is Joburg's toughest race and so it should stay.

The Venue, I think it is great besides the security, getting in and out is much easier than before, remember traffic on the N14 when it was at Riversands, people forget that traffic very easy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I stopped on Jan Smuts (after finishing my own ride and riding back along the route) and watched many people come passed in the 35 minutes I was there. While there were a large number of people going slowly, and felt it was hard work, they seemed to enjoy the encouragement from the small crowd in this area. These would have been open seeded riders in batches C - M, so possibly people that cycle often.

A couple grumpy people, including one that insisted we "move out of the way", but otherwise a large number of positivity despite the hard effort required up Jan Smuts.

I was one of those suffering up there.  Cramps forced me to walk 🙈, but we finished, 40min slower than last year, but still a finish .... 🥳

11 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Look at the temp on the start line - 35°

it was HOT. Had half a bottle of drink at the car. Went through another half a bottle of water waiting in the starting pens

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

Perhaps an additional factor - not as BIG as safety etc - is the race difficulty. A couple of years ago it was a 92km event with most of the climbing in the first half with a much easier second half. Yesterday was 98km in sweltering heat with some REALLY hard climbs in the second half. In fact you do over 1000m of climbing in the last 45km. Now for many of us - WE LIKE THAT! But for a large set of the general "I ride ONCE a year" group of riders - this is a rather brutal ride. I saw a LOT of riders down on the road with SERIOUS CRAMPS during those last 3 hard climbs. 

I think multiple factors contribute to the lower numbers .Difficulty is a factor .The last half is really hard ,even for experienced riders . Joburg is much higher than people think . Road cycling ,as a rule, has declined in Gauteng .Riders have left Gauteng in greater numbers than we think ,either immigrated or semigrated to the WP .There is supposed to be a young adult population that are not in RSA anymore .I see this daily in my profession .About the event .It was well organized ,very clean city ,roads are in  perfect condition .Traffic sorted .MUCH better than the previous events at FNB .Start and finish better.Stadium round not missed . Great event , but it is hard   

8 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Look at the temp on the start line - 35°

I had 32°C at the start of my second “lap” (09:02) and 38°C when I got home (12:14). It shows 29°C which was at my stop on Jan Smuts (bike was in the shade for 35 minutes).

IMG_0627.jpeg.07eaa277b8787a03114fb7a967f2dc67.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Earlier years were much more brutal (the years before they started taking us on the freeway).

What made this year bad in terms of cramps etc. was the heat.

Prevailing winds means it assists up the hills going back.

For the not so fit they now have the short route. I suspect that has also taken a good few thousand participants away from the long route.

Agreed.. I’ve been calling it the back 9 since yesterday afternoon.. back nines are always more brutal.. I was not prepared for those last two climbs.. they flattened me and I just had nothing left in the tank afterwards..

first 50km I was flying..💪🏼😃🤙🏻 

my biggest gripe was people being stupid at water points.. just stopping anywhere.. the witkoppen water point I was pretty much brought to a stand still trying to weave through tons of people all over the road..

I had a great time riding though.! And the loop of kyalami was soo much fun.. 🥳

Just now, NotSoBigBen said:

Am I the only one that thinks that there is also a cost issue?

#pensioner

Yes and no; it depends on the expenses relative to the income.

For a full road closure route, it’s relatively cheaper than smaller events that don’t have full closure. Take Emperors Classic and Ride for Sight. Both are R100 less than 947, and almost double what Meals on Wheels charge. I’d say the smaller events are getting more expensive.

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Am I the only one that thinks that there is also a cost issue?

#pensioner

This year we hardly had other road events in Gauteng .For a working adult it should not be such a big factor . I don't think cost can half the numbers in ten years . Maybe things will improve next year .I have noticed that the numbers at my local Virgin active has only now returned to almost pre covid numbers ,although still short of 2018 . I even see less cars on the roads . Economy is down and affects everything around us . Numbers at MTB events also substantially down in Gauteng , but up in WP    

19 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

it was HOT. Had half a bottle of drink at the car. Went through another half a bottle of water waiting in the starting pens

Although it was in direct sun, my Garmin registered 45 degrees on the section up to Wits.

4 minutes ago, eala said:

This year we hardly had other road events in Gauteng .For a working adult it should not be such a big factor . I don't think cost can half the numbers in ten years . Maybe things will improve next year .I have noticed that the numbers at my local Virgin active has only now returned to almost pre covid numbers ,although still short of 2018 . I even see less cars on the roads . Economy is down and affects everything around us . Numbers at MTB events also substantially down in Gauteng , but up in WP    

I'm sure for the LSM 7-10 guys it's all good still ... I do get a fairly decent income but I am at the point where I have to select my 'leisure' activities carefully taking my family into account as well 

But just me then I guess

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm sure for the LSM 7-10 guys it's all good still ... I do get a fairly decent income but I am at the point where I have to select my 'leisure' activities carefully taking my family into account as well 

But just me then I guess

no the entire cost of doing the event is not cheap. The entry is one part of it, costs of fuel to and from the venue twice. Nutrition on the day etc. It starts to add up.

But given the cost of other races and everything else these days its not terrible, but certainly not for everyone.

But people make a plan.

I arrived early, so sat in my car watching everyone arrive and start preparing.

In front of me an old box shape corolla (circa early 80's) pulls in with 4 bikes on the roof with very much a "maak 'n plan" roof rack. 4 Gents get out and start preparing their bikes and kit to ride. Even casually changing a tube on the one bike.

In contrast, right next to them a car and 2 double cabs, each with 4 MTB hanging on tail gate covers, pulls in, and I watched as this group, all dressed in the same kit , started preparing.

Was there early and no issues getting parking or car guard problems. Raced hard and then had a few beers with mates, listened to Rubber Duck play and then watched the prize giving.  Left without hassle, So a good day to do this race once a year for fun and have fun.... even with the heat.  And always great to see the crowds who come out on the day.... not enough thanks is given to them!! Kudos!!

4 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Anyone else get the sense that Ride Joburg (94.7) is starting to loose it's appeal?

I am sure covid had a big part to play but looking at the decrease in the numbers over the last 10 years, it is evident that entries have decreased by over 50% with this year being the lowest.

2023 +/- 8500 starters

2022 +/- 9300 starters

2021 +/- 9500 starters

2019 +/- 15800 starters

2018 +/- 18400 starters

2017 +/- 20000 starters

2016 +/- 20300 starters

2015 +/- 21500 starters

2014 +/- 21700 starters

2013 +/- 20800 starters

Thoughts??

source?