947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

19 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I want to ask the opinion of you hubbers on drafting a group you are not actually riding with?

A group of 4 or 5 riders passed me on the road and I hung onto the back of them for a while, they were going at a pace I felt comfortable following, but I knew there was no way I could lead, I felt bad "using" them so I dropped off them again, but what is the opinion of you hubbers in a situation like that? 

I made sure to never cause any disruption to them when they made lead changes or anything, so would you just keep hanging on the back of them, or was dropping off the back again the right thing to do?

It is quite common for individual riders to form ad hoc packs on events and to work together. Those packs also change as the race moves along and some of the stronger people move forward and the weaker people move back and new packs come into existence. It's actually impossible to know when you are on the road whether a particular pack is simply an informal ad hoc pack or whether it is actually group of people that set out to ride together. The only time you can really tell is when people are all wearing the same kit. Arguably then you may be a bit of a nuisance but in all other circumstances I wouldn't worry about it. Get out there, ride and enjoy. Join in whatever group you can find that works for you at your level.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

So, regardless of the position of that chevron board, how come every other rider knew which way to turn? Isn't the onus on the rider still to familiarise themselves with the route?

I'm guessing the lead Motorbike in this case knew the route whereas the lead BMW didnt

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

So, regardless of the position of that chevron board, how come every other rider knew which way to turn? Isn't the onus on the rider still to familiarise themselves with the route?

Most likely because the moto in front of them did not make a wrong turn. Even if she knew the course, why would she not follow the lead car? The route could have been adjusted for many reasons, and this would be the proper route now.

8 minutes ago, MudLark said:

It is quite common for individual riders to form ad hoc packs on events and to work together. Those packs also change as the race moves along and some of the stronger people move forward and the weaker people move back and new packs come into existence. It's actually impossible to know when you are on the road whether a particular pack is simply an informal ad hoc pack or whether it is actually group of people that set out to ride together. The only time you can really tell is when people are all wearing the same kit. Arguably then you may be a bit of a nuisance but in all other circumstances I wouldn't worry about it. Get out there, ride and enjoy. Join in whatever group you can find that works for you at your level.

That's the thing, I started in AA, those guys were all in DD and EE, but I could clearly see they had a plan and were riding as a team, so felt like it was maybe wrong....

Next time I will ignore my conscience and just follow ????

Edited by Chadvdw67

3 minutes ago, WernerStrydom said:

The motorbike was not leading...

The lead motorbike in this case.  ie, the lead motorbike for that bunch.

9 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I was part of a 4 man break in VC when we entered Kyalami.  I was first in and ALMOST turned right but remembered we go clockwise around the track so turning right did not feel right.

.I have been part of MANY wrong turns.........
lead group at TransCape. 
Solo break away in Polokwane road race. 
Every time this happened, we had to turn around and go back to where we went wrong.  

I think the difference was how the ORGANISER handled the situation.
Yes, CSA/officials had to apply the rules and DQ and relegate etc etc.  Nobody likes the poupou.....
But in both my cases that I can remember from, the organizer decided to acknowledge his mistake and created an opportunity out of the situation.
Trans Cape they neutralized the stage and the "pros" could ride with the open batches.
Polokwane a separate "110km category" was quickly created and I "won" (race was actual 100km and had their own winners) a packet of icecream or something fun.........can't remember.

In my opinion, she cannot be declared the race winner.  
But the organisers could have acknowledge her brave effort and their "mistake" and rewarded her for that on a creative manner.

My 2c

1 minute ago, Spinnekop said:

I was part of a 4 man break in VC when we entered Kyalami.  I was first in and ALMOST turned right but remembered we go clockwise around the track so turning right did not feel right.

lead group at TransCape. 
Every time this happened, we had to turn around and go back to where we went wrong.  

Yes, CSA/officials had to apply the rules and DQ and relegate etc etc.  Nobody likes the poupou.....
But in both my cases that I can remember from, the organizer decided to acknowledge his mistake and created an opportunity out of the situation.
Trans Cape they neutralized the stage and the "pros" could ride with the open batches.
Polokwane a separate "110km category" was quickly created and I "won" (race was actual 100km and had their own winners) a packet of icecream or something fun.........can't remember.

But the organisers could have acknowledge her brave effort and their "mistake" and rewarded her for that on a creative manner.

My 2c

I like this actually, wonder if they can award here a we are sorry for leading you the wrong way prize, or a "pathfinder" jeyrsey even. 

23 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I've never 'familiarised' myself with the exact twists and turns of a route but then again I'm just a hacker

15 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

That's the thing, I started in AA, those guys were all in DD and EE, but I could clearly see they had a plan and were riding as a team, so felt like it was maybe wrong....

Next time I will ignore my conscience and just follow ????

As a general rule, an additional rider in a pack only helps the pack. Unless the rider is dangerous or doesn't know what he's doing. Then it's a different dynamic. But if people are uncomfortable you will get the message soon enough. Somebody will tell you or shout at you. If that happens, just back off and ride on your own or look for another pack.

22 minutes ago, WernerStrydom said:

The motorbike was not leading...

18 minutes ago, Andymann said:

The lead motorbike in this case.  ie, the lead motorbike for that bunch.

What I think Werner meant was: it was a handcycle that was leading the motorcycle that was leading that bunch....

23 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

I like this actually, wonder if they can award here a we are sorry for leading you the wrong way prize, or a "pathfinder" jeyrsey even. 

Maybe Garmin could sponsor a GPS as a prize ????

53 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

https://fb.watch/9tMfqJlr4U/

CCTV footage.........check how that board moves in the wind.

Wow, this footage should bring a conclusion to what was an unfortunate event... 

She should have turned around when she got off her bike to go over the barrier tape. This is not triathlon, do not dismount until the end.

Was she the lady that fell in the sprint at the CTCT? If so, did her chain break or what?

27 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

lead group at TransCape. 

My 2c

Agreed, but the problem here is that she dismounted and physically stepped over the bunting and the team vehicle just carried on as well. Even when she asked, everyone from the lead vehicle, bike marshall and team car said "carry on" 
Sorry but that is an amateur error on every level. So even a creative reward would be problematic. *** one all round. 
Really hope she returns next year to settle the score and animate the women's racing again.