947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

6 hours ago, ewep said:

I did some marshalling (Think Bike marshals) in the late 2000's.  At a few races I was on the leading bike for the Elite Men.  I was very fortunate that the route mess never happened, but at a race or 2 (fortunately I was marshalling later groups then) the routes were changed by the organisers.  This was done WHILE the bunch was racing.  The only people informed were in the lead car.  The lead bike was informed and then usually fell back close to the "change in route" point and the lead car took over.  BUT, typically a TB marshal would then stay behind and wait for a "foot" marshal to take over the point.  One of the risks discussed often by the marshals was what would happen if the lead car was not reached?The elite riders trust the leading vehicles (whether car or motorbike).  So Emma following the lead car was the accepted operating procedure.

I do however agree that Emma should have turned around and gone back when she reached the danger tape.  The lead car made a major mistake here by going through the tape and the driver should take the blame for the mess at that point.

I think you right on both accounts - The lead car must be followed (in case of a late re-route or such - assuming no comms with the rider) and the lead car going over the tape - what a travesty - what were they thinking - they even waited for Emma to cross and then continued - there lies ALL the blame!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ouzo said:

but you get "high quality white 947 Ride Joburg official t-shirt to the value of R290."  :)

I get inflation and decreased numbers pushing up the costs, but sheesh, soo to be paying R1000 for a 1 day bike race.

I suspect that the reduced number of entrants means the money must come from somewhere... But maybe it's the Eskom problem - the more you charge, the less the product is taken up.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:05 AM, Vetplant said:

Can we please get the terminology right, before Cones are targeted unfairly. That was not a cone, it was a Traffic Delineator

#WordsMatter

image.png.7746e7e4f5c08c7ba07ac445f133bd50.png

This is traffic signalism, and there is no place for this sort of discrimination in an open and fair society, what about trafic signals that identify as road signal or non directory?

6 minutes ago, Sitting@89 said:

This is traffic signalism, and there is no place for this sort of discrimination in an open and fair society, what about trafic signals that identify as road signal or non directory?

Caution there... you dont want to upset the traffic police...

They should be called direction neutral + community

I was a DNS. Arrived in sa on Friday, went straight to FNB stadium and collected my pack. Wasn’t at that stage certain that I was going to do the ride, but I had paid for socks and a t shirt and stuff as part of the entry and had to go and collect them. As usual, with only three days in Gauteng, I had over committed and realised on Saturday that there was no way I could ride on Sunday (very slowly) and still visit people that I needed to see, so decided not to ride. I suppose I am one of the DNF numbers. 

On a side note, we could potentially use the number board holders to mount those pesky CTCT bike boards as they don't fit so well on the handlebars when you have Garmin in place. 

Or does CTCT frown upon that.

2 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

On a side note, we could potentially use the number board holders to mount those pesky CTCT bike boards as they don't fit so well on the handlebars when you have Garmin in place. 

Or does CTCT frown upon that.

It’s their opposition’s hardware. ????

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

but from what I understand from his post he is just wanting to use the rubber piece that holds the number board, so I dont see an issue.

18 hours ago, Jehosefat said:

Early bird "special" entries are open for next year.

R625 does not feel like a special price to me... ????

They normally have a Black Friday special with a percentage off, I can't remember what percentage though.  Think it might have been 20% in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, Red Robin said:

They normally have a Black Friday special with a percentage off, I can't remember what percentage though.  Think it might have been 20% in 2019. 

This was still with the old organisers, I bought my entry that I finally used this year that way. So will have to wait and see if they have the same type of deal now, or only a t shirt option.

I want to ask the opinion of you hubbers on drafting a group you are not actually riding with?

A group of 4 or 5 riders passed me on the road and I hung onto the back of them for a while, they were going at a pace I felt comfortable following, but I knew there was no way I could lead, I felt bad "using" them so I dropped off them again, but what is the opinion of you hubbers in a situation like that? 

I made sure to never cause any disruption to them when they made lead changes or anything, so would you just keep hanging on the back of them, or was dropping off the back again the right thing to do?

6 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I want to ask the opinion of you hubbers on drafting a group you are not actually riding with?

A group of 4 or 5 riders passed me on the road and I hung onto the back of them for a while, they were going at a pace I felt comfortable following, but I knew there was no way I could lead, I felt bad "using" them so I dropped off them again, but what is the opinion of you hubbers in a situation like that? 

I made sure to never cause any disruption to them when they made lead changes or anything, so would you just keep hanging on the back of them, or was dropping off the back again the right thing to do?

If you are not in a racing group it is fair game. It is just chasing time so if you can catch up and stick to them, well done on your better seeding for next time.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Apologies, was just referring to the black plastic piece, not the actual number board haha