Cyclist over the edge of Chappies

olmec

Honestly pushing that hard that you overshoot a corner on a random weekend on a very dangerous road is just stupid. If it had been a corner in the opposite direction he would have been in oncoming traffic and potentially under a car/bus/truck. And where he went off he knows it is a cliff and potential for serious issues. What is stopping him enjoying it at 80% of the pace so there is still some error margin to allow him to safely react to a car/pothole/other cyclist/pedestrian. It is fine to push 100% when it is just you on the road or the odd race or a safer stretch of road with good run off. What if he ran wide and took another cyclist over the edge with him?

Risk management is a part of cycling and many other sports. The Isle of man riders don't go averaging 132mph on public streets every single weekend. They do a lot of training on tracks where it is safer and then only for the few Irish Street races and the GP/TT do they risk it. Even the free solo climbers spend a lot more time climbing with ropes and only risk it for the special occasions. 

I honestly don't see the point in pushing that hard you go over the edge on a training ride. Selfish and reckless.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s something called having fun, you should try ! This corner is really really tricky you don’t have to be pushing very hard to be caught off guard.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw speedbumps being installed or some kind of signage in the future approaching it.

Luckily most of the time cyclists are stuck behind cars getting into it so we’re already slow

Edited by Jbr

Honestly pushing that hard that you overshoot a corner on a random weekend on a very dangerous road is just stupid. If it had been a corner in the opposite direction he would have been in oncoming traffic and potentially under a car/bus/truck. And where he went off he knows it is a cliff and potential for serious issues. What is stopping him enjoying it at 80% of the pace so there is still some error margin to allow him to safely react to a car/pothole/other cyclist/pedestrian. It is fine to push 100% when it is just you on the road or the odd race or a safer stretch of road with good run off. What if he ran wide and took another cyclist over the edge with him?

Risk management is a part of cycling and many other sports. The Isle of man riders don't go averaging 132mph on public streets every single weekend. They do a lot of training on tracks where it is safer and then only for the few Irish Street races and the GP/TT do they risk it. Even the free solo climbers spend a lot more time climbing with ropes and only risk it for the special occasions. 

I honestly don't see the point in pushing that hard you go over the edge on a training ride. Selfish and reckless.

You are aware that accidents happen?

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally

Who are you to say he was over his limit?

It is quite possible that he was going at your suggested (again, who are you to dictate) 80% and something happened accidentally?

It is quite possible that he was going at your suggested (again, who are you to dictate) 80% and something happened accidentally?

Like what exactly?

Lightening strike?

Bug flew into his eye?

A dolphin jumped out of the sea and bumped him?

He saw the ghost of a Texas ladies' man

Like what exactly?

Lightening strike?

Bug flew into his eye?

A dolphin jumped out of the sea and bumped him?

He saw the ghost of a Texas ladies' man

Nevermind.

We'll all just ride super slowly from now on, and if anything ever happens, we will take full blame upon ourselves for the reckless and selfish action of being on two wheels.

Actually it's not right that you lot want to blame a guy for enjoying the same sport you do and having an accident. I guess with your godlike abilities you never fell off. The rest of us are probably simple mortals.

Edited by TNT1

Nevermind.

We'll all just ride super slowly from now on, and if anything ever happens, we will take full blame upon ourselves for the reckless and selfish action of being on two wheels.

Actually it's not right that you lot want to blame a guy for enjoying the same sport you do and having an accident. I guess with your godlike abilities you never fell off. The rest of us are probably simple mortals.

I dont think thats what anyone is saying.

I think they're saying that one should not ride at 10/10ths on a stretch of road that has little to no room for error. If the 130km/h spike was just before crashing then he was motoring it.

Look, we've all done it in one way or another at some stage in our lives.

When I fell on chappies I was going at about 60%.

I had purposefully scrubbed speed from the top because it looked iffy with some damp and some small rocks strewn all over the place. I often wonder if I had just sent it as usual, would I have used the tar as a brake surface?

The road is always strewn with little stones and oil/slick patches. Hit one of those, slide out, manage to ride it out and you're straight into the rail.

While I'm all for risk management, I'm also well aware that accidents happen and they happen dam fast.

I'm just glad the dude walked away from it.

When I fell on chappies I was going at about 60%.

I had purposefully scrubbed speed from the top because it looked iffy with some damp and some small rocks strewn all over the place. I often wonder if I had just sent it as usual, would I have used the tar as a brake surface?

The road is always strewn with little stones and oil/slick patches. Hit one of those, slide out, manage to ride it out and you're straight into the rail.

While I'm all for risk management, I'm also well aware that accidents happen and they happen dam fast.

I'm just glad the dude walked away from it.

Other people here would label you as "selfish and reckless".

I dont think thats what anyone is saying.

I think they're saying that one should not ride at 10/10ths on a stretch of road that has little to no room for error. If the 130km/h spike was just before crashing then he was motoring it.

Look, we've all done it in one way or another at some stage in our lives.

Promise, my 10/10 is not the same as yours and not the same as the next guy. 

Maybe this guy was going that fast, and was still within his limit? Maybe he was just having fun, like we sometimes do on two wheels?

Literally impossible to be going 130km/h into that bend, Not on a motorbike or even in a car can you reach that speed. So perhaps Strava error or something else, But humanly impossible, especially considering there is a right hand bend about 50m before this one. Also the gradient isn't steep enough at all to even get close to that speed.

Ouens, lets not get too jujgerag over this incident. Its very easy to overcook that corner. Into Noordhoek it tightens up as you exit. Theres enough grip to go in hot with lost of grip then the camber falls away slightly and the gradient drops to -11% for that corner. Couple that to the tightening up of the corner, inexperience and balls way bigger than most can handle .........you're on the opposite side of the road.

I had a similar close call yeeeeears ago. In my case a gust of wind participated. I had fast enough reflexes to lock the back brake and slide the back wheel to get the bike pointing more tightly. Since then I treat that corner with the utmost respect. Others have learned from my experience as will Cliffy White's tjommies and witnesses. Sometimes the momentary purpose of our lives is to serve as a beacon or warning for others. Cliffy will respect that corner far more now and he's now a legend. Anyone who goes over the edge on Chappies and lives, their name lives forever in history. 

Literally impossible to be going 130km/h into that bend, Not on a motorbike or even in a car can you reach that speed. So perhaps Strava error or something else, But humanly impossible, especially considering there is a right hand bend about 50m before this one. Also the gradient isn't steep enough at all to even get close to that speed.

Could be the wheel sensor just picking up the acceleration of the wheel unloading as it left the ground, I've had similar wheel speed spikes when my GPS signal is lost on MTB trails

Promise, my 10/10 is not the same as yours and not the same as the next guy. 

Maybe this guy was going that fast, and was still within his limit? Maybe he was just having fun, like we sometimes do on two wheels?

10/10ths refers to being at your limit, no margin for error. So whilst my 10/10ths might see you flying off into the distance ahead of me it still means I'm at the limit of my abilities. i.e. should something go wrong I have no margin to save it.

But as stated, maybe this was simply just an accident and the guy was not actually going all out.

100% assumptions among all that hyperbole. Take a breath.

You are aware that accidents happen?

Who are you to say he was over his limit?

You beat me to to it.What a plonker.

130km/hr

Impossible on Chappies or any other mountains I know