Cyclist over the edge of Chappies

olmec

Which corner is it? Can someone post the google maps picture? I am also assuming this is the reverse of the race? So in race conditions we would be going up at this corner? I have pretty much always raced the CTCT on tandem and love the decent, luckily I have a stoker that trusts me and leans with me no matter what. Have ridden with someone that tries to counter lean when they get nervous and that is seriously dangerous on a tandem.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which corner is it? Can someone post the google maps picture? I am also assuming this is the reverse of the race? So in race conditions we would be going up at this corner? I have pretty much always raced the CTCT on tandem and love the decent, luckily I have a stoker that trusts me and leans with me no matter what. Have ridden with someone that tries to counter lean when they get nervous and that is seriously dangerous on a tandem.

@1:34.....

That corner often has a lot of sand on the road after the apex, so if you're going fast and aren't on line properly it's easy to get it wrong.  I've seen quite a few people lose it there. 

My wife crashed going down Chappies a couple of weeks ago (not the same corner though) but luckily stayed on the road.  I was surprised at the damage which the road surface gave though - it looked like she had been attacked by a dog with deep gouges in the skin and lots of stitches needed.  None of the normal road rash which you would normally associate with sliding down the road at 50km/h.  

Came across this picture on FB of the guy being rescued - shows just how close the cliff is.  The minimal damage he sustained is amazing! 

post-50271-0-64818800-1618992548_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-29979600-1618992558_thumb.jpg

This is a safe space, unlike the descent of Chappies. You can admit you were doing a 5 min power test here.

Close! I was drag racing some random dude up there. When I heard the noise, I said to him that didn't sound good. He said he thought it sounded like the guy hit a car. I kept looking back until a car came around the corner like nothing had happened so thought that couldn't be it.

My left ear and my helmet disagreeJriUmXfIIkcWPtu9DooZyPKCGeZXIVHOeQLq3_dI

heck, even water at speed can hurt. I had the cracked ribs and whiplash to prove it.

Oh and I think his "downhill KOM" will stand for quite some time LOL... He is now now to be renamed "Cliffy".

I just want to ask, that peak just before the helicopter ride, that's like 130km/h??? Surely not

This road really should be on every cyclists bucket list.

As with any mountain pass .... enjoy it .... BUT dont over cook it ....

Pretty loose use of the term 'mountain pass'.....

Highest point 120m, roughly 115m elevation over 5km from either side..... It's more of a cliff side road.

But I agree, it is part of our pre work ride and I am always thankful for it. 

Highest point 120m, roughly 115m elevation over 5km from either side..... It's more of a cliff side road.

Its attraction is its beauty, in terms of difficulty I've got a spreadsheet that another member put together a while back. It rates climbs using a difficulty formula, of the climbs I have listed on there chappies is the least difficult of all.

What you talking about Willis?!! Everybody wants to know what ring you used for Chappies to get that Suptree. Bic blade or small? 19 or 21?

That corner often has a lot of sand on the road after the apex, so if you're going fast and aren't on line properly it's easy to get it wrong.  I've seen quite a few people lose it there. 

My wife crashed going down Chappies a couple of weeks ago (not the same corner though) but luckily stayed on the road.  I was surprised at the damage which the road surface gave though - it looked like she had been attacked by a dog with deep gouges in the skin and lots of stitches needed.  None of the normal road rash which you would normally associate with sliding down the road at 50km/h.  

Came across this picture on FB of the guy being rescued - shows just how close the cliff is.  The minimal damage he sustained is amazing! 

I reckon there's a great ad for OMO in here somewhere!

Has anyone mentioned that John Lee Augustyn ran back up and actual mountain all by himself (with a wee helping hand) after crashing on the highest tarred road in the world (if memory serves)?

No rescue needed!

This guy need the harden up a little...

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/tour-notes-augustyn-survives-crash/

The pics of his mechanic fetching his bike using a rope tied to the rim of a car was also rather entertaining!

Has anyone mentioned that John Lee Augustyn ran back up and actual mountain all by himself (with a wee helping hand) after crashing on the highest tarred road in the world (if memory serves)?

No rescue needed!

This guy need the harden up a little...

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/tour-notes-augustyn-survives-crash/

The pics of his mechanic fetching his bike using a rope tied to the rim of a car was also rather entertaining!

I was watching that video a few months ago!!!

I was watching that video a few months ago!!!

Was that the one where he was leading the TdF stage and went off the edge of a long crumbly slope in yellow sand and dust?  Lots of memories as I watched next to the hospital bed of a good friend (and keen cyclist) who subsequently passed away.