Road bike noob questions

Matu

12 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

You don't need carbon fibre or 11 or even 10 speed. You can have a great time riding a 20 year old aluminium frame with a good 9 speed groupset and it'll cost you somewhere in the region of R3000. Unless you're in the top 5% of riders, I doubt a bike like that would be the limiting factor. 

Yeah, but those exposed gear cables dangling in front of the handlebar look, well, horrible. You need to at least get something that is new enough to have them routed along the handlebar. And although nine speed Campag already did this 20 years ago, it's a dog of a gruppo.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Matu said:

Thanks for this! I have being eyeing the threads of the carbon imported frames, but not there yet!

So I also stand at a cross roads, go used and cheap under 10k (get some road experience and see how I like it and what i like) or go new under 20k (cry a bit on the price and hope i love my new bike) hahahaha.

I also understand that 20k is only scratching the surface on the road game, but that's my noob budget, maybe i love it and sell my car to buy a specialized hahaha

samples of where my head's at

New:

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/road-bikes/products/titan-valerian-comp-2020

https://www.lindencycles.com/product-page/titan-stryker-elite-disc-2020-700c

Used:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/474816/specialized-allez

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/785921042044429/

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/474688/fuji-roubaix-15-tiagra-aluminium-road-bike-700cc

that Allez is a very nice bike. Can recommend it

13 hours ago, Kranswurm said:

I wonder how many here can do a track stand.Essential tool in the toolbox for road or mtb.

I try as far as possible to never unclip once I've started a ride. It's a nice way to keep my self entertained, cause I stop at stop streets and red lights on the road as well.

Of course it has a down side when some moron in a bakkie rear ends you cause you have the audacity to stop at a stop street.

8 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I try as far as possible to never unclip once I've started a ride. It's a nice way to keep my self entertained, cause I stop at stop streets and red lights on the road as well.

Of course it has a down side when some moron in a bakkie rear ends you cause you have the audacity to stop at a stop street.

Same here.I also try as far as possible not to unclip on a mtb either.I am fairly good technically but over the years have had some hard falls.One in particular when we were climbing a huge granite smooth rock in the bush and a rider in front of me on the sloped camber stopped and put foot down.I was too close.

23 hours ago, Matu said:

23 hours ago, Matu said:

is it a road sin to have time atac pedals? (so i can wear the same shoe/cleat af MTB)

It’s actually the clever thing to do, when you stop they are much easier to walk around with and you won’t look like a duck walking on ice. For example at coffee / coke stops. 

Just clean the mud and trail dust off them, then no one will even notice.

Been riding with time atacs on all my bikes (road, Tri and mtb) for years, with the latest craze of gravel bikes it makes even more sense now.

5 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

It’s actually the clever thing to do, when you stop they are much easier to walk around with and you won’t look like a duck walking on ice. For example at coffee / coke stops. 

Just clean the mud and trail dust off them, then no one will even notice.

Been riding with time atacs on all my bikes (road, Tri and mtb) for years, with the latest craze of gravel bikes it makes even more sense now.

You and Durianrider both...

BTW, we will notice...

Edited by TNT1

7 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

You and Durianrider both...

BTW, we will notice...

Yeah I’ll be the one not walking with my toes in the air when the group stops at the friendly pora for a coke n Chelsea bun

????

Durianrider??

Edited by SwissVan

4 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Yeah I’ll be the one not walking with my toes in the air when the group stops at the friendly pora for a coke n Chelsea bun

????

This has obviously given you some kind of a complex that you keep going on about it........

2 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

This has obviously given you some kind of a complex that you keep going on about it........

Quack off ????

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

. You need to at least get something that is new enough to have them routed along the handlebar. And although nine speed Campag already did this 20 years ago, it's a dog of a gruppo.

Ah, but the 10 speed Record Titanium that followed  ????

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah, but those exposed gear cables dangling in front of the handlebar look, well, horrible. You need to at least get something that is new enough to have them routed along the handlebar. And although nine speed Campag already did this 20 years ago, it's a dog of a gruppo.

my 80s vintage bike is all aero'd out lol. Shimano 600,/ 54/42 x 6... geared for a time when roadies were still real men, had leg hair and helmets were optional.????

12 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

Australian.

He's a funny guy. His ex-girlfriend is now a nudist in the amazon or something. Nutters the lot of em.

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

He's a funny guy. His ex-girlfriend is now a nudist in the amazon or something. Nutters the lot of em.

I just cant take them seriously.Met a lot backpacking and overlanding north of our borders and headbangers the lot of them