TMNP Activity Card system - there has to be a better way

Stephan

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Cherry on top - SanParks gets money from PPA which is duly used for boardwalks for hiking none of it used for cycling. It does not get better. (Zebra - source - same as previous one)

We have a beautiful land.

As far as we are aware this was a once off that probably won't happen again.. 

The reality is that the land is part of a national park. In no park in SA do SANP cater for mountain biking other than providing access and some rudimentary trails. Think Harkerville and probably a few others where cycling is permitted. The kind of "proper" MTB trails with exclusive bike use ( no hikers)  at Tokai, exist only because of TokaiMTB which not only repairs the trails there are but also helps fend off environmental lobby group agitation against "downhill trails" and liaises with SANP management. The trail maintenance is key - if the trails were left to waste away and erode, SANP would simply close them and the enviro lobby groups would have a field day. 

Tokai is in most respects better as a trail riding destination than it used to be. Its gnarlier and more fun than it ever was when it had so-called crown jewel status. I think people just have fond memories of the trees which fogs the memory. That was also before Tygerberm and JH became so well developed. 

That said, Tokai is the second  most ridden destination in the country, running a close second to Tygerberg on ridelog stats.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jono said:

I'm always surprised when I see people rating Tygerberg over Tokai. Quality is better than quantity.

Very different rides though

(I think)

Edited by porqui

18 hours ago, Zebra said:

I am a ‘payer’. Regularly. Not sanctimonious, but feel it is the right thing to do.

guys photoshopping dates? Then likely bitching about corrupt govt officials!

Much ‘ink’ spilt on these pages of how hard it is; how their systems are outdated, how this or that rider would do it differently…

I have a contrarian view; toughen the f@ck up, spend 20 minutes ONCE per year to get the permit, pay R1.04 per day (R380 per annum), ride some truly amazing trails, and SIMULTANEOUSLY write/lobby the authorities - well- TRY and lobby - for some of our fees to be re-invested in developing/maintains our trails…

There may be well a few on here who will ‘drop’ R5k -without hesitation - on incremental gains by buying an accessory, or replacing a part, but boy, do they WHINE about the fee…

Pay the once-off annual fee / ride the trails for 12 months / enjoy / the end.

Chris

It sounds like you are new to discussions regarding Tokai.
Groups have been lobbying for years!

Telling people to toughen up or to stop whining isn't going to get people on your side either.

People can and will complain about a process that is difficult and seems unnecessary, especially when there is no return on their effort and money spent.

In a world of online and digital and electronic, its frustrating that only one place can do it. Only on weekdays (but not during lunch time). Only if there is power. And only if you have the correct form of payment. So, for me its a 20 minute trip. For someone who works in Town, its 1 1/2 hours.

By the time I am done with ID photos, proof of address, filled in forms etc, I feel that I could have opened a bank account or something much more serious than getting permission to ride on the mountain.

Yes, getting the card is the right thing to do. 
And yes, it does sound sanctimonious when you say it.

Can anyone clarify or confirm if one needs the activity card for the Kirstenbosch and the front face of Table Mountain ?
And if so, where does one buy a day permit for this ?

I have my Activity Card, so this isn't for me.

51 minutes ago, splat said:

Can anyone clarify or confirm if one needs the activity card for the Kirstenbosch and the front face of Table Mountain ?

yes, believe it or not all the way in Tokai....

1 hour ago, splat said:

100% yes if there are rangers around, 100% no if you don't see any. Or rather, if they dont see you.

4 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

100% yes if there are rangers around, 100% no if you don't see any. Or rather, if they dont see you.

Just don't get your arm broken in the process .........

2 hours ago, Meezo said:

yes, believe it or not all the way in Tokai....

Ja, this is what I thought.
So, you live in Town and have mates visit you from somewhere else. You wanna zoot up to The Blockhouse and show them the views. So you jump in your car and drive to Tokai and pay R100 for the Day Pass and then drive back (during office hours, of course) so you can do the 3.5km ride from Vredehoek.

Ok. That's enough whining from me on this topic.

3 hours ago, splat said:

It sounds like you are new to discussions regarding Tokai.
Groups have been lobbying for years!

Telling people to toughen up or to stop whining isn't going to get people on your side either.

People can and will complain about a process that is difficult and seems unnecessary, especially when there is no return on their effort and money spent.

In a world of online and digital and electronic, its frustrating that only one place can do it. Only on weekdays (but not during lunch time). Only if there is power. And only if you have the correct form of payment. So, for me its a 20 minute trip. For someone who works in Town, its 1 1/2 hours.

By the time I am done with ID photos, proof of address, filled in forms etc, I feel that I could have opened a bank account or something much more serious than getting permission to ride on the mountain.

Yes, getting the card is the right thing to do. 
And yes, it does sound sanctimonious when you say it.

No, not new, been listening to the same complaints for years, thus my post…

Obviously, I am not here to ‘get people on my side’; as you state, but rather, to share my view, just as you have done.

Anyone can renew when they possibly making a trip near the Southern Suburbs area of CT, but even a special trip is worth the riding opportunity,YMMV.

I sleep well at nite, knowing I am not sanctimonious, but rather jut saying…….let’s do the right thing, and pay our dues. I accept that for some (many), the process is unwieldy!

See you on the trail!
Chris

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

The ole taking my mtb to go swim in silvermine dam trick...

Wonder how they'd react if your mtb was replaced by a plastic kids bike...much easier to load into the car..

21 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Wonder how they'd react if your mtb was replaced by a plastic kids bike...much easier to load into the car..

In the last few years I haven’t had the “you have to have your bike with you” rule enforced when entering Cape Point or Silvermine. If you’re concerned about it, just take your helmet with you because you’re meeting your friend who’s bringing your bike on his rack.

I've ridden all over the Cape in the decade I've been on my MTB, yet I still haven't ridden Tokai. I'm just not convinced yet that the effort is worth it. let it be known I absolutely detest any form of waiting or bureaucracy, so that has been the main driving factor (of course, I'm probably building this huge obstacle in my head of driving all the way south from the upper parts of the west coast Blouberg side, potentially for nothing). That said, I'd probably end up that side this weekend if the weather permits. Let's hope it was worth it.

9 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I've ridden all over the Cape in the decade I've been on my MTB, yet I still haven't ridden Tokai. I'm just not convinced yet that the effort is worth it. let it be known I absolutely detest any form of waiting or bureaucracy, so that has been the main driving factor (of course, I'm probably building this huge obstacle in my head of driving all the way south from the upper parts of the west coast Blouberg side, potentially for nothing). That said, I'd probably end up that side this weekend if the weather permits. Let's hope it was worth it.

It rained a LOT this week, so the contour/fire roads will have a lot of standing water. Puddles would be the wrong word. Oh, and some of the roads become rivers. But the trails themselves are OK.
You can park at Bootleggers or at the picnic area, and get your day pass at the boom for R100.00. Take cash and a card, just in case the ask for the one you don't have. Easy and low maintenance.

We are hoping to find a gap in the weather on Friday.

Enjoy!

Edited by splat