TMNP Activity Card system - there has to be a better way

Stephan

15 hours ago, splat said:

Ja, this is what I thought.
So, you live in Town and have mates visit you from somewhere else. You wanna zoot up to The Blockhouse and show them the views. So you jump in your car and drive to Tokai and pay R100 for the Day Pass and then drive back (during office hours, of course) so you can do the 3.5km ride from Vredehoek.

Ok. That's enough whining from me on this topic.

That day pass is Tokai only AFIK...So you'd have to get a full year Craptivity Permit for the day 😪

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, splat said:

It rained a LOT this week, so the contour/fire roads will have a lot of standing water. Puddles would be the wrong word. Oh, and some of the roads become rivers. But the trails themselves are OK.
You can park at Bootleggers or at the picnic area, and get your day pass at the boom for R100.00. Take cash and a card, just in case the ask for the one you don't have. Easy and low maintenance.

We are hoping to find a gap in the weather on Friday.

Enjoy!

#IRememberWhen we used to pay R20 to ride Tokai!

7 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

That day pass is Tokai only AFIK...So you'd have to get a full year Craptivity Permit for the day 😪

No, the day pass is for all the legal cycling routes on Table Mountain.

So, after doing Tokai and Silvermine, you can do Constantia Neck to Newlands to Rhodes Memorial to Deer Park to Signal Hill and sommer Missing link to llundudno.

Hell, that R100 will cost you less that R1 per km but more than R1 in Voltaren and recovery drinks (OK, maybe not you, but me definitely).

Just now, DJR said:

No, the day pass is for all the legal cycling routes on Table Mountain.

So, after doing Tokai and Silvermine, you can do Constantia Neck to Newlands to Rhodes Memorial to Deer Park to Signal Hill and sommer Missing link to llundudno.

Hell, that R100 will cost you less that R1 per km but more than R1 in Voltaren and recovery drinks (OK, maybe not you, but me definitely).

Let's hope. But also...In my experience, good lukc convincing a ranger around LH of this.

I've had many similar experiences WRT climbing etc where rangers simply don't know the "rules" management has agreed to.

16 minutes ago, splat said:

I remember getting change from a R20 note...
Back when there was a forest
And there was tea and cake at that restaurant

Think it was R15 before the R20 mark.

My first Tokai ride was with a mish mash of Warthog Riders .... I made it most of the way up on the climb to the bridal path till my legs died 🫢 ... ended up veering off from the group and making my way down again.

Not sure what it is like now, but back then too you could fill up your water bottle with CLEAN mountain water (Assuming some bloody baboon or @Duane_Bosch did not wee up stream that is)

32 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Think it was R15 before the R20 mark.

My first Tokai ride was with a mish mash of Warthog Riders .... I made it most of the way up on the climb to the bridal path till my legs died 🫢 ... ended up veering off from the group and making my way down again.

Not sure what it is like now, but back then too you could fill up your water bottle with CLEAN mountain water (Assuming some bloody baboon or @Duane_Bosch did not wee up stream that is)

I rode the bridal path recently after not doing so for a few years. Beautiful climb and still pretty technical down, definitely worth it if you have the legs (or you're on an EB like I was 😆).

The mountain is flooded. 

More VERY heavy rain predicted for Friday night/Saturday.

If you ride this weekend you will only ruin your bike and the trails and it will likely not be fun.

You will leave deep tire marks in every berm, slip on every rock and just make a mess of everything.

Do the responsible thing, go surfing 

3 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Tokai’s soil drains well, but not that well…

3 hours ago, splat said:

It rained a LOT this week, so the contour/fire roads will have a lot of standing water. Puddles would be the wrong word. Oh, and some of the roads become rivers. But the trails themselves are OK.
You can park at Bootleggers or at the picnic area, and get your day pass at the boom for R100.00. Take cash and a card, just in case the ask for the one you don't have. Easy and low maintenance.

We are hoping to find a gap in the weather on Friday.

Enjoy!

So the takeaway here is rather just stay home, make a good curry and drink good wine?

46 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So the takeaway here is rather just stay home, make a good curry and drink good wine?

If you are next to a fire, all of that sounds much more attractive than going surfing 🤣

14 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I've ridden all over the Cape in the decade I've been on my MTB, yet I still haven't ridden Tokai. I'm just not convinced yet that the effort is worth it. let it be known I absolutely detest any form of waiting or bureaucracy, so that has been the main driving factor (of course, I'm probably building this huge obstacle in my head of driving all the way south from the upper parts of the west coast Blouberg side, potentially for nothing). That said, I'd probably end up that side this weekend if the weather permits. Let's hope it was worth it.

If you don't know your way around study Trailforks and make sure you know where everything is. Tracks are shorter than JH but no less fun. 

33 minutes ago, splat said:

If you are next to a fire, all of that sounds much more attractive than going surfing 🤣

The swell is rolling in hard.

I think Monday is going to wreck the Atlantic Sea Board

Dungeons will be breaking and it will be HUGE

No curry or wine or fire sounds more attractive than the 50 year storm. The Bodhizafa is going to be there..... Via con dios

2 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I rode the bridal path recently after not doing so for a few years. Beautiful climb and still pretty technical down, definitely worth it if you have the legs (or you're on an EB like I was 😆).

Bridle is excellent and the climb is not that extreme even on a normal bike. A nice route is to start with Bridle, then go back up for all the snakes and then down Dh or Vasbyt. 

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

No curry or wine or fire sounds more attractive than the 50 year storm. The Bodhizafa is going to be there..... Via con dios

....'We'll get him when he comes back in'....'He's not coming back.'

30 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Now that is something I wouldn't mind to see. Dungeons going absolutely mental is a sight to behold.