Does this look like a crack? Momsen Al129 -2018 model

Mojoman

Well, Momsen/TWT want to weld the frame rather than replace it. 

TBH Im not particularly happy with that. Seems unless certain methods/procedures are followed the area will be weaker?

So it looks like I will have to try and claim from my Insurers. Or just try and find another bike.

So bear this in mind, if you want to buy a Momsen and you break your frame after 4 years they probably wont replace it..

This  frame was a headache from day one....

Edited by Mojoman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from TWT....anyone had any work done by these guys? A LBS said they would try and repair and not offer the frame.

As discussed, we unfortunately don’t have any other options to remedy this claim other than to repair the frame at this stage.

We don’t have frames or bikes in stock that we could offer you at a discounted price, and we won’t be receiving any anytime soon.

Cycledelic is used by us to repair the alloy frames and they also do the paintwork.

They are highly skilled and have successfully repaired many frames for us and countless others over the years and they can be trusted to do a proper job on it.

22 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

This is from TWT....anyone had any work done by these guys? A LBS said they would try and repair and not offer the frame.

As discussed, we unfortunately don’t have any other options to remedy this claim other than to repair the frame at this stage.

We don’t have frames or bikes in stock that we could offer you at a discounted price, and we won’t be receiving any anytime soon.

Cycledelic is used by us to repair the alloy frames and they also do the paintwork.

They are highly skilled and have successfully repaired many frames for us and countless others over the years and they can be trusted to do a proper job on it.

Sucks

get them to issue you with an uneconomical to repair letter, then let insurance replace it. 

Yes, its cracked. That is an extremely high stress area on any bike but especially a HT. A bike like this is made for gentle MTB not hard core trail riding. If you're a heavy rider or have been pushing it a bit on very rough terrain, drops and jumps, then  chances are its cracked up. ????

My concern is if I wanted to sell the bike, then I am selling a 'repaired' bike now....
A LBS did say they have no frames so to expect a repair job...

It is what it is I suppose. 

Lol....cant claim off insurance as I dont have the out-about (OUTSURANCE)
Kind of stupid really as how would you know if I damaged the bike riding around at home or on the trail?

Anyway...now it seems if they repair the frame I wont be able to insure anyway as it already has damage/repaired damage to it...

Edited by Mojoman

1 minute ago, Mojoman said:

Lol....cant claim off insurance as I dont have the out-about (OUTSURANCE)
Kind of stupid really as how would you know if I damaged the bike riding around at home or on the trail?

Now it seems if they repair the frame I wont be able to insure anyway as it already has damage/repaired damage to it...

That should be a std on your insurance policy, otherwise what were you paying for?

6 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

That should be a std on your insurance policy, otherwise what were you paying for?

They charge you more for the out and about ... did an enquiry recently with them RE options for insuring my bikes.

They could not make an offer I was happy with, but while I had them on the line I did get them to drop the monthly payments on the car, motorbike and house insurance, so it made the call worthwhile :P

19 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Mojo ... will https://cycledelic.co.za/ offer a transferable guarantee for their workmanship/repair?

Any possibility of Momsen swapping out for one of their steel frames if they still have stock?

I did speak to their welder...seems like he knows his stuff....Nothing I can really do now anyway....no money for a new bike so over the barrel, vaseline free,  I can like to be....

Unfortunately Momsen made no offer of any steel frames....quite honestly though I think my time with this brand is done after speaking to a few people including bike shops.

4 Years ago when I first got the frame and the clear coat was coming off they didnt want to replace the frame...I had to dance and invoke the CPA to say I then wanted a full refund...then I got another frame...

Seems its one of those when you have paid then bad luck things.....

Lol...after talking to Outsurance it seems they can insure it after being repaired...

Edited by Mojoman

4 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

I did speak to their welder...seems like he knows his stuff....Nothing I can really do now anyway....no money for a new bike so over the barrel, vaseline free,  I can like to be....

Unfortunately Momsen made no offer of any steel frames....quite honestly though I think my time with this brand is done after speaking to a few people including bike shops.

4 Years ago when I first got the frame and the clear coat was coming off they didnt want to replace the frame...I had to dance and invoke the CPA to say I then wanted a full refund...then I got another frame...

Seems its one of those when you have paid then bad luck things.....

Lol...after talking to Outsurance it seems they can insure it after being repaired...

Give the steel frame a spin with them and see how that pans out.

I can guarantee you that the frame is not repairable. Aluminium must be heat treated after welding and this requires straightening using jigs in its softened state before being by hardened back to T6 hardness.

No disrespect to any welders out there, but unless you are skilled at welding bicycle frames in particular and have the necessary equipment for heat treating, this is simply not repairable. In fact, I'm certain that a frame manufacturer wouldn't even attempt the repair either.

25 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

They charge you more for the out and about ... did an enquiry recently with them RE options for insuring my bikes.

They could not make an offer I was happy with, but while I had them on the line I did get them to drop the monthly payments on the car, motorbike and house insurance, so it made the call worthwhile :P

That little bit extra per month would have saved you now. 
have claimed on out and about twice with OUTsurance on laptops. The last one was a huge one and I wasn’t expecting the claim to be approved without paying a % from my side, but it went through no issues. 

all my bikes are specified too. 

6 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I can guarantee you that the frame is not repairable. Aluminium must be heat treated after welding and this requires straightening using jigs in its softened state before being by hardened back to T6 hardness.

No disrespect to any welders out there, but unless you are skilled at welding bicycle frames in particular and have the necessary equipment for heat treating, this is simply not repairable. In fact, I'm certain that a frame manufacturer wouldn't even attempt the repair either.

My metallurigist mate agrees..My almost 4 years in a tool and die environment makes me agree.....Time will tell......
But Momsen/TWT isnt bothered though,.,,if they can fob me off with a repair for another 365 days then their warranty on the frame is over anyway...

Two lessons to be taken here..
One...avoid Momsen...Its always a fight no matter what
Two....check your insurance...That I didnt do........I think a lot of us just pay and dont realise until its claim time just how under insured we are...I did howver check on riot/looting cover while I had them on the phone....????

On 8/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, Mojoman said:

Heard a new creaking sound on the bike...got home...had a look in the light with a torch...And the crack is on both sides....
I dont think this is just the paint as if you run your nail over it, it feels quite deep...
Any other opinions....Bike is a 2018 AL129...4 years old in Sept this year....
Always something to take your money....

crack-Side A.jpg

crack-Side B.jpg

most definitely a crack