Does this look like a crack? Momsen Al129 -2018 model

Mojoman

21 hours ago, Mojoman said:

Ja, this is my whinge...I wanted to maybe sell the bike next year if I have some R's and buy something else...
Especially seeing how its a straight steerer, 9mmQR frame....Would need to flog the whole bike really...

Anyway...Spilt milk...No more supporting local though....lol...

What is interesting is that AL129 was R7400 back in Sept 2017 when I bought it....
Its now around R14,300....granted there is a change in the drive train from a 3x9 to a 1x10 but still.....
Thats just crazy for a low entry bike...

I saw that, its crazy. I bet the  frame quality has not improved either. A few years ago I was busy restoring a very old Giant ATX 890 Ht frame. I had hammered the bike for years before and it had been standing around for a while. I stripped the paint off the frame and found only minor signs of fatigue around the welds. Nothing that prevented the bike being ridden however. A well made ali frame should last a good few years. Sadly it was stolen half way through the restoration project ???? 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

I suspect it was over fuelling. Now if only the guy with the technical knowledge came back to me with his report I'd know. But alas, no one at Ford SA cares about customers.

Have a chitty chat with GoLefty .. I know he is not with Ford, but he certainly has a good bit of knowledge around the engineering aspects

40 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Have a chitty chat with GoLefty .. I know he is not with Ford, but he certainly has a good bit of knowledge around the engineering aspects

I also know a few Ford mechanics....(lol...I had a Mazda and we had an issue with Action Ford some years ago, wound up helping the mechanic reassemble the carb he had stripped right down)

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Mojoman

On 8/13/2021 at 10:03 AM, PhilipV said:

I suspect it was over fuelling. Now if only the guy with the technical knowledge came back to me with his report I'd know. But alas, no one at Ford SA cares about customers.

Yes. If it burnt holes in the pistons (or caused heat related damage to the pistons) then it was over fuelling. A diesel is different to a petrol engine. In a petrol engine a rich mixture reduces combustion temperatures. In a diesel it is the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Mars1967 said:

Yes. If it burnt holes in the pistons (or caused heat related damage to the pistons) then it was over fuelling. A diesel is different to a petrol engine. In a petrol engine a rich mixture reduces combustion temperatures. In a diesel it is the opposite. 

interesting!

twt is basically dealing with all the left over crap momsen, farr et al left behind when they left for oz. you cant deal with them directly anymore. also, OZ and NZ seem hellbent on withdrawing from society at this stage in the world haha.  i know because my mother has been looking for a sane way to get to SA for more than a year now to meet her grandchild lol. they are such nannies.

i bought a farr gravel frame a month ago for the wife and all of it eventually got here after 3 or 4 shipments….

just a mess. poor TWT are just dealing with the remnants of whats left imo. 

14 minutes ago, MORNE said:

twt is basically dealing with all the left over crap momsen, farr et al left behind when they left for oz. you cant deal with them directly anymore. also, OZ and NZ seem hellbent on withdrawing from society at this stage in the world haha.  i know because my mother has been looking for a sane way to get to SA for more than a year now to meet her grandchild lol. they are such nannies.

i bought a farr gravel frame a month ago for the wife and all of it eventually got here after 3 or 4 shipments….

just a mess. poor TWT are just dealing with the remnants of whats left imo. 

To be fair I wasn't overly impresssed with TWT 4 years ago...I think its all about not spending if possible, pacifying the customer as cheaply as possible and then moving on to the next complaint...Rinse and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I did ask for some before/after pics....Unfortunately only got the after pics....I was curious to see how that crack looked under the paint...
Anyway....They just need to touch up the paint and then send it back to me....

qw1.jpg

qw2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

I did ask for some before/after pics....Unfortunately only got the after pics....I was curious to see how that crack looked under the paint...
Anyway....They just need to touch up the paint and then send it back to me....

qw1.jpg

qw2.jpg

I can see the cracks from here!

Just now, Hairy said:

image.png.da99326c0a59922effa1e02f032a8484.png

Maybe adding some polyfilla to the bike might make it more durable in the hills..

• 5 weeks later...

Raise your hand if you said this would happen again...Less than 150km...Now the talk is I didnt have the seatpost in deep enough.,...

Momsen can kiss my behind!

POS bike...????

Forged in the Untamed South Africa - And broken in the Magaliesberg.....

crack on weld.jpg

Edited by Mojoman

13 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Raise your hand if you said this would happen again...Less than 150km...Now the talk is I didnt have the seatpost in deep enough.,...

Momsen can kiss my behind!

POS bike...????

Forged in the Untamed South Africa - And broken in the Magaliesberg.....

crack on weld.jpg

I'm really bleak for you Mojoman.

Unfortunately that was always going to happen. Aluminium needs to be heat treated after welding.

You could have had a 1m long seatpost that touched your bb and that would have happened again!

15 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I'm really bleak for you Mojoman.

Unfortunately that was always going to happen. Aluminium needs to be heat treated after welding.

You could have had a 1m long seatpost that touched your bb and that would have happened again!

I agree....Anyway lesson learnt....
You can see how far in the seat post goes..

seattube depth (002).jpg

Edited by Mojoman

14 hours ago, Mojoman said:

I agree....Anyway lesson learnt....
You can see how far in the seat post goes..

seattube depth (002).jpg

That does look like your seatpost sits on the shallower side of things, but as long as it's inserted to the minimum depth, then the frame should be able to cope.