What is this bike worth?

Robert Du Preez

Hi Guys

Very new to this site and was hoping to get some advice. 

I took ownership of the attached bike as payment when one of my clients was short on cash. I need to sell it, but have no idea what it's worth... Could anyone here give me a ballpark figure perhaps? 

It's a Giant XTC and the frame size seems to be 19" (which makes it a 29er according to my research?) 

Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you 

PXL_20210921_081036354.jpg

PXL_20210921_081030854.jpg

PXL_20210921_081023131.jpg

PXL_20210921_081017575.jpg

PXL_20210921_081011915.jpg

Hi Robert

WELCOME to the Hub.

It is very possibly a 26'' with a Medium frame.  Have a look on the tire sidewall for something like: "26x2,1".  The first being the tire diameter, the second being the tire width.

Would help if you could confirm 26 vs 29.

Edited by ChrisF

I’m no bike expert or mechanic but I’d take a guess, it would probably be around 10k but nothing more than that as it has shimano deore xt, shimano hydraulic brakes and the stanchions of the fork look really clean (after a while of use and neglect they get these black rubbery residue on them) 

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Hi Robert

WELCOME to the Hub.

It is very possibly a 26'' with a Medium frame.  Have a look on the tire sidewall for something like: "26x2,1".  The first being the tire diameter, the second being the tire width.

Would help if you could confirm 26 vs 29.

Thanks guys, just had a look on the Tyre and it says 26x2.10 so I guess it's a 26er then? 

Hi Robert,

A realistic price for a 26er these days with the specs/components as in the photos would be a max of R3/3.5k. Depending on the person who buys it, you only need one to see the value in what you are seeing.  Newer and better equipped 29ers start at about R7k second hand.

See @Chip has commented much of the same.

17 minutes ago, Ernst Kromhout said:

I’m no bike expert or mechanic but I’d take a guess, it would probably be around 10k but nothing more than that as it has shimano deore xt, shimano hydraulic brakes and the stanchions of the fork look really clean (after a while of use and neglect they get these black rubbery residue on them) 

It has an XT crank and old XT rear derailleur but the shifter are like @Chip says the Deore LX shifters that use one lever for braking and shifting. These are quite old.

I'd say around R3 500.

I hope he doesn't owe you too much. Let's quickly break it down for you: 

• Wheel size - definitely 26er, no doubt.
  • LX group set is the old SLX - Shimano replaced it back somewhere in 2008 (which probably hit our shores in 2009 or possibly 2010). 
  • By looking at the LX one can take a stab and guess the age of the bike, I would guess mid 2000s (this is a wild guess) but I would go with around 2005-2008. Based off the Wiki page on when the M580 range was launched: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano 
  • This makes is a 16-13 year old bike with what looks like the original drive train. 

R2500 - R3000 max

4 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

It has an XT crank and old XT rear derailleur but the shifter are like @Chip says the Deore LX shifters that use one lever for braking and shifting. These are quite old.

I'd say around R3 500.

It is an Deore LX crank - it is upside down ????

Robert maybe just a bit of context .....

Back then 26'' was the in thing.

Then the 29'' was introduced and the marketers got on the band wagon .... let's just say the market for 26'' is "very small" at the moment.

We actually have a similar age 26'' Medium that our youngster rides.  Due to the high top-tube of the medium frame they can actually ride a Small 29'' before they can ride this bike, reducing the market even further.

1 hour ago, Robert Du Preez said:

Thanks guys, just had a look on the Tyre and it says 26x2.10 so I guess it's a 26er then? 

That would bring the price down.. a lot

Robert you may very well advertise it for R 6,5k, even R7k, and get your R5k.

Just because 29'' is the fad of the month does not mean your bike is "bad".

MANY parents out there looking for decent bikes for their kids (over 1,45m, to stand over that high top tube).  Also many commuters looking for something decent.

The cheaper entry level bikes certainly are not as good as this bike.