First official CANYON LUX TRAIL in SA

Docnic

My Canyon Lux Traill arrived this past weekend, after ordering it on the day it was launched in early August. I have been looking and contemplating on getting something new for some time, and made some mods to my then-existing,  now-previous mountain bike. The new owner should be quite lucky with the new rims, wheels, drive train etc. I tried many options and changed many things on the bike in order to get rid of that unwell feeling. I think it might be compared to the feeling of supporting the Stormers, but actually liking the Bulls, but you cant admit it or practice it because you stay in the WC. Or like driving a Corolla because its safe, but secretly you want an Audi S3. In the end I went to Builders Warehouse and bought the roughest steel brush I get could get my hands on. Pitty to say, that also did not get rid of the aching itch that I had, right there, exactly where the sun dont shine. I started to realize, there is only one mode of treatment for this serious condition, and that is to talk to some of the wisest people on this planet, namely your cycling friends. They all agreed, I needed to upgrade the MTB. The one wise friend said the old bike made me look fat, the other said I looked chronically depressed. I myself just could not stand the fact that these good friends had to wait minutes for me  at the bottom to come down the single track, every time!! According to them, there was only one suitable answer. I had to upgrade the MTB.

After warm bubble bath the night before, coffe and breakfast in bed the next morning, pets washed and fed and multiple bunches of flowers strategically placed all around in the house, I delivered the presentation to the higher authority(including 30 slide powerpoint presentation, bank statments, IOU’s, spa vouchers, promises of romantic dinners to come, visits to wine farms, walks with the dog, visits to the in-laws and I even threw in a twice a month visit to her favorite shopping mall for two months). I still dont know how it happened, but she said yes!!!  My one friend and colleague gave me a very good tip; that is to always remove one zero off the actuall price of the bike. I think that was what did the magic. After she gave her blessing I immediately pushed the “send” button for already-typed whatsapp message to my good friend Erik Kleinhans at Canyon, confirming the green light to place the order. The moment the message was sent I could feel the itch already becoming a little less. I will one day do research into “the treatment of chronic severe anal itching with an offer to purchase”.

Like most of us, the homework was done months before. Which bike, what components etc. Those are basic calculations that 99% of the members on the website have in their back pocket, no need to think about it. 

In my case it was not different. I saw the coming of the promised CANYON LUX TRAIL more than a year ahead. I went for the CANYON LUX TRAIL CF 7. FULL XT, FOX 34 Stepcast, DT Swiss XCR carbon wheels and  FOX Transfer Performance Elite dropper post. (Those all happened to be exactly the parts that I would have dreamed about on an MTB)

I had to choose between the Colombia Blue and the Alps Grey. Initially I chose the Colombia Blue, since the Alps Grey looked like a cream colour on the internet, which was not to my liking. Unfortuntely (now thankfully) the Colombia Blue was already sold out in minutes-hours, and Erik ordered the Alps Grey.

On the day it arrived I was stooooooked!!!! It looked way better in real life. There are very few bikes(to my knowledge) with that colour scheme and the new look of the brand new LUX Trail made me fell in love immediatley.

On receiving the package, I was surprised at the level of personal touch that was included. Inside the box was a hamper with Canyon tools, shock pump etc. The feeling of opening and building the new bike definitely surpasses the feeling of getting into a new car, by far!!! (In all fairness I only drive an Isuzu, but you get the point).

I was fortunate to have Erik Kleinhans himself delivering the bike to my house, and together with pizza and some beers we built the machine. Even my wife joined in and took pictures. Although she will probably never admit it, I think she is possibly even more proud than me on my new investment. (Especially considering the very good price that I told her that I paid for the bike)!!

Setting up took basically only a few minutes and we also converted to tubeless at the same time. 

The next day was the day to taste the pudding. 

Apart from the looks, the bike feels and rides like a charm. People that doesnt know me greeted me, random people took pictures of me, paparazzi style and random friends invited themselves over fo coffee to “catch up”.(I knew it was more about the bike, but I took it and ejoyed the new attention).

I even did my PR on some of the well-known donwhill segments in the area. (I think I might be in the top 10 000s in some of the segments now) Thanks to my good-hearted neighbor, Ryall, he even pretended not being able to shake me on the downhill. Thanks to the new dropper post and the more relaxed geometry, I felt in control of my MTB for the first time in my life. I did not know that it is possible.

All in all, I am super happy and proud and thankfull that I could get this bike and about the choice I made. To me it is the best looking bike I’ve ever seen. I would like to give a shout out to Erik Kleinhans(Canyon SA Manager) at Bicycle Garage in Stellenbsoch for his help. Attached are some pics. No drooling please…

87366C02-17EC-49AD-B026-D70B88937A3E.jpeg

07CCC8B6-2F0F-4DAB-B07F-782DB59EDE67.jpeg

1935C79E-959E-4744-A32B-23CB96B30A8A.jpeg

34 minutes ago, FunFun said:

Such a legit bike that even if you ride it with unshaved legs the cycling community will accept you!!???? ????

never ????

1 hour ago, FunFun said:

Such a legit bike that even if you ride it with unshaved legs the cycling community will accept you!!???? ????

But don't you dare wear ankle socks!????‍♂️

2 hours ago, Docnic said:

My Canyon Lux Traill arrived this past weekend, after ordering it on the day it was launched in early August. I have been looking and contemplating on getting something new for some time, and made some mods to my then-existing,  now-previous mountain bike. The new owner should be quite lucky with the new rims, wheels, drive train etc. I tried many options and changed many things on the bike in order to get rid of that unwell feeling. I think it might be compared to the feeling of supporting the Stormers, but actually liking the Bulls, but you cant admit it or practice it because you stay in the WC. Or like driving a Corolla because its safe, but secretly you want an Audi S3. In the end I went to Builders Warehouse and bought the roughest steel brush I get could get my hands on. Pitty to say, that also did not get rid of the aching itch that I had, right there, exactly where the sun dont shine. I started to realize, there is only one mode of treatment for this serious condition, and that is to talk to some of the wisest people on this planet, namely your cycling friends. They all agreed, I needed to upgrade the MTB. The one wise friend said the old bike made me look fat, the other said I looked chronically depressed. I myself just could not stand the fact that these good friends had to wait minutes for me  at the bottom to come down the single track, every time!! According to them, there was only one suitable answer. I had to upgrade the MTB.

After warm bubble bath the night before, coffe and breakfast in bed the next morning, pets washed and fed and multiple bunches of flowers strategically placed all around in the house, I delivered the presentation to the higher authority(including 30 slide powerpoint presentation, bank statments, IOU’s, spa vouchers, promises of romantic dinners to come, visits to wine farms, walks with the dog, visits to the in-laws and I even threw in a twice a month visit to her favorite shopping mall for two months). I still dont know how it happened, but she said yes!!!  My one friend and colleague gave me a very good tip; that is to always remove one zero off the actuall price of the bike. I think that was what did the magic. After she gave her blessing I immediately pushed the “send” button for already-typed whatsapp message to my good friend Erik Kleinhans at Canyon, confirming the green light to place the order. The moment the message was sent I could feel the itch already becoming a little less. I will one day do research into “the treatment of chronic severe anal itching with an offer to purchase”.

Like most of us, the homework was done months before. Which bike, what components etc. Those are basic calculations that 99% of the members on the website have in their back pocket, no need to think about it. 

In my case it was not different. I saw the coming of the promised CANYON LUX TRAIL more than a year ahead. I went for the CANYON LUX TRAIL CF 7. FULL XT, FOX 34 Stepcast, DT Swiss XCR carbon wheels and  FOX Transfer Performance Elite dropper post. (Those all happened to be exactly the parts that I would have dreamed about on an MTB)

I had to choose between the Colombia Blue and the Alps Grey. Initially I chose the Colombia Blue, since the Alps Grey looked like a cream colour on the internet, which was not to my liking. Unfortuntely (now thankfully) the Colombia Blue was already sold out in minutes-hours, and Erik ordered the Alps Grey.

On the day it arrived I was stooooooked!!!! It looked way better in real life. There are very few bikes(to my knowledge) with that colour scheme and the new look of the brand new LUX Trail made me fell in love immediatley.

On receiving the package, I was surprised at the level of personal touch that was included. Inside the box was a hamper with Canyon tools, shock pump etc. The feeling of opening and building the new bike definitely surpasses the feeling of getting into a new car, by far!!! (In all fairness I only drive an Isuzu, but you get the point).

I was fortunate to have Erik Kleinhans himself delivering the bike to my house, and together with pizza and some beers we built the machine. Even my wife joined in and took pictures. Although she will probably never admit it, I think she is possibly even more proud than me on my new investment. (Especially considering the very good price that I told her that I paid for the bike)!!

Setting up took basically only a few minutes and we also converted to tubeless at the same time. 

The next day was the day to taste the pudding. 

Apart from the looks, the bike feels and rides like a charm. People that doesnt know me greeted me, random people took pictures of me, paparazzi style and random friends invited themselves over fo coffee to “catch up”.(I knew it was more about the bike, but I took it and ejoyed the new attention).

I even did my PR on some of the well-known donwhill segments in the area. (I think I might be in the top 10 000s in some of the segments now) Thanks to my good-hearted neighbor, Ryall, he even pretended not being able to shake me on the downhill. Thanks to the new dropper post and the more relaxed geometry, I felt in control of my MTB for the first time in my life. I did not know that it is possible.

All in all, I am super happy and proud and thankfull that I could get this bike and about the choice I made. To me it is the best looking bike I’ve ever seen. I would like to give a shout out to Erik Kleinhans(Canyon SA Manager) at Bicycle Garage in Stellenbsoch for his help. Attached are some pics. No drooling please…

87366C02-17EC-49AD-B026-D70B88937A3E.jpeg

07CCC8B6-2F0F-4DAB-B07F-782DB59EDE67.jpeg

1935C79E-959E-4744-A32B-23CB96B30A8A.jpeg

You should capitalize on your talent for writing !

• 11 months later...