Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

9 minutes ago, Jackb said:

Thanks. A tour official emailed and said only credit cards. I had to contact a friend to help me out as I don't have a credit card. It's rather pathetic that they haven't introduced an eft option. Nevertheless I've entered and hopefully will do my 21st tour.

Glad you sorted but it is pathetic that at least a debit card option isn’t valid.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Glad you sorted but it is pathetic that at least a debit card option isn’t valid.

Thanks, ja time they changed like the rest of the world.

13 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

So only two idiots made you this angry?

Nobody is angry here, just perplexed as to what would cause someone to chip their bike for the fun ride world champs. 

More than 10% of the eBike field must have been on illegal ebikes according to their average speeds.

Is it too much to ask people to not break the law? 

Edited by Pure Savage

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

More than 10% of the eBike field must have been on illegal ebikes according to their average speeds.

Guess you are ok with doping as well then, its only a few guys. Only really effects them.

How do you figure that? If you were climbing at less than 25km/h at any time on your non-e-bike then being on an e-bike will up your average speed because you can hold basically the same speed on the downs and flats on either bike.

I mean its like the people using clip on TT bikes in an event that specifically says clip on TT bars.

They just do not care about anyone else's safety besides themselves. 

20 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I mean its like the people using clip on TT bikes in an event that specifically says clip on TT bars.

They just do not care about anyone else's safety besides themselves. 

Ya those idiots on chipped e-bikes with TT-bars at CTCT are actual idiots. Not only do they put themselves at risk but also those around them. It must take someone seriously inconsiderate to do that... What are they trying to prove??? Probably years of just-not-sub-3 and ran out of excuses... 

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

I'm all for ebikes in the CTCT. People on bikes is good.

But reading the rules, your estimate is probably on the low side. It may also ease the concerns of the more fragile 3-hour racer crowd.

Give it a read: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/race-entry-terms-and-conditions/

3. E-Bikes/ Power Assisted Bicycles
3.1. Definition: In this clause the term “e-bike” means a bicycle that has pedals as its primary mode of propulsion and an auxiliary electric motor as a form of power assistance.
3.2. Should a cyclist wish to use a power assisted (PAS) bicycle in the Cape Town Cycle Tour only a bicycle which has electricity as its auxiliary power may be ridden.
3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.
3.6. An e-bike may only be used by a rider in the Cycle Tour if such e-bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:
3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;
3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;
3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);
3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;
3.6.6. is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for pedal cycles.
3.7. An e-bike rider may not start or attempt to start the event before his/her designated starting time slot. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.
3.8. E-bike results will be marked as such in the Cycle Tour results and may not be used as seeding for other cycling events.
3.9. Riders using e-bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Cycle Tour.
3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified.

Some points on equipment highlighted in the rules above:

• 250W rating is on the weak side for an eMTB - the majority of eMTBs probably broke this rule.
  • 25km/h is generally a MTB speed limit. Being a much faster sport, many road specific ebikes are limited much higher.

Many ebikes for sale do not comply with one or both of these requirements. They might need to rethink these technical requirements or look the other way.

In my mind, the 3 hour 50 minute disqualification should keep people mostly in check. Disqualifying and banning those that don't will thin them out quickly.

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Ego's over law all day errrrrday.

I mean we see this with guys with fancy cars too, It's illegal to go faster than 120km/h on the freeway but they will zoom past at 180km/h racing their mates or other okes who also have big ego's because "I'm too cool for the law". Same as those idi0ts who meet up late at night on certain sections of the highways to race illegally, or that chop who lost his legs in the crash on the N1 by Century City who survived and said "I will never stop racing" and all the people out defending him calling it a "passion".. Fine it's your passion but it's still ILLEGAL! Same as said E-Bikers, cycling may be a passion and you managed to purchase an E-Bike, great for you, but the RULES state you need to start in X bunch then start there, it was your choice to buy an E-Bike!!

*rant over

16 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Ego's over law all day errrrrday.

I mean we see this with guys with fancy cars too, It's illegal to go faster than 120km/h on the freeway but they will zoom past at 180km/h racing their mates or other okes who also have big ego's because "I'm too cool for the law". Same as those idi0ts who meet up late at night on certain sections of the highways to race illegally, or that chop who lost his legs in the crash on the N1 by Century City who survived and said "I will never stop racing" and all the people out defending him calling it a "passion".. Fine it's your passion but it's still ILLEGAL! Same as said E-Bikers, cycling may be a passion and you managed to purchase an E-Bike, great for you, but the RULES state you need to start in X bunch then start there, it was your choice to buy an E-Bike!!

*rant over

Bru the bakkies are far far worse. Raptors are the new Nir vara are the new BMW. 

Also they're the only okes that appear immune to fuel pricing..Even the Stage voetsek GTi's are cruising at 80km/hr when every blip of the throttle costs R10-00. That's a like smoking Marlboro vs Stuyvesant.

So when you immune to all of this then chipping an e-bike is just another day in the life of.

They run you off the road with their Craptor, they run you off the road with their hairdryers. same same.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

...............In my mind, the 3 hour 50 minute disqualification should keep people mostly in check. Disqualifying and banning those that don't will thin them out quickly.

Perhaps a little lay bye just before the finish line where the lightning e-bikers can pull over and safely wait for the last few minutes of the 3h50 minutes to tick by before going over the last mat?

9 minutes ago, DJR said:

Perhaps a little lay bye just before the finish line where the lightning e-bikers can pull over and safely wait for the last few minutes of the 3h50 minutes to tick by before going over the last mat?

That'd be a good way to introduce these biking heathens to cycling's coffee shop stop traditions. I like it ????