Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

exhibit C

toppie with racepace and Wh to burn!

image.png.65c57d06af001ecee4b0d01e0bb27668.png

a 2:53 from 5A, but he's in the 80-84 cat!

but that's slower than the 2:48 from 2020

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

Just entered for my first one !

I see many "rules" etc... being discussed here.

Would it be acceptable to use my mtb, spend about 5 hours on the route and just enjoy the atmosphere and scenery ?

Just watch out for the speed wagons with TT bars flying by! Best places to stop if you want to enjoy the scenery, Bootlegger Kalk Bay, le Hub in Misty Cliffs (amazing crowd there).

I guess with rules again being ignored by participants and organisers, brings me back to my earlier question, how close to motorbikes will we get before the organisers will feel the need to pay attention? 

8 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I guess with rules again being ignored by participants and organisers, brings me back to my earlier question, how close to motorbikes will we get before the organisers will feel the need to pay attention? 

My guess would be when someone gets hurt. Which won't be too long from what I can see. 

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

exhibit B.

once again a smoking ballie, 60-64, he did a 2:48 from 2F

image.png.578ab2e1d8b83901a56ecd3ba7c7f278.png

bit hard to confirm but it looks like he was carrying a spare battery on his toptube

image.png.233d06feb78c0b1ebbe6a272641c12e7.png

but definitely see the ttbars on the handlebar and the spare tyre

image.png.8c7d0ba56102af02978b0faa57988854.png

aero is everything

A few ebikes came past us up suikerbossie at mach3 and most of them had a spare battery taped to the top tube.

the keen eyed ones among you would have noticed an increase in peeps asking in classifieds to ‘rent’ a battery for ‘event ABCXYZ’.
I guess this is why.

7 minutes ago, DJR said:

Lots of feelings got hurt already by the looks of it ????

My feelings got hurt on the trailseeker in Wellington when some oke whirred past me at pace. It wasn't unsafe... It was his posture on the bike ranked - straight back. Hardly breathing. As if he was noodling to the shops on a town bike. It did feel like he was violating a rule somehow. That he couldn't have gotten into the forest we were in under his own steam. Irrational but that detracted from my pride???? In being there. 

When ordinary riders overtake me I don't feel that. I feel a kinship with them and a kind of admiration cos they better riders than me. 

I got dropped by an ebiker riding up the noordhoek side of black hill on Saturday. I admit I pushed hard down the descent into Clovelly to  catch him cos I knew he'd have no assist. Caught him as the road flattened out and took pleasure in dropping him to the robot. 

Childish I know but.... 

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

always blows my mind to see how bikehub can go on and on about ebikes... 

Don't get me wrong, I'm very Pro e-bike. I rode one of the first BH demo ebikes to come into the country and knew it was the future of a new segment here. Both my parents have them now and love it.

But it's hilarious to see pensioners ripping the legs off their group with bikes that clearly don't fit into the stated criteria of entry and pulling sub 3 times.

Now there's a rule against it, tut tut.

I'm mainly bleak I missed the obvious gap to clock an officially recognised sub 2 Argus result. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

My feelings got hurt on the trailseeker in Wellington when some oke whirred past me at pace. It wasn't unsafe... It was his posture on the bike ranked - straight back. Hardly breathing. As if he was noodling to the shops on a town bike. It did feel like he was violating a rule somehow. That he couldn't have gotten into the forest we were in under his own steam. Irrational but that detracted from my pride???? In being there. 

When ordinary riders overtake me I don't feel that. I feel a kinship with them and a kind of admiration cos they better riders than me. 

I got dropped by an ebiker riding up the noordhoek side of black hill on Saturday. I admit I pushed hard down the descent into Clovelly to  catch him cos I knew he'd have no assist. Caught him as the road flattened out and took pleasure in dropping him to the robot. 

Childish I know but.... 

Black hill descent into Clovelly?

6 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

Just entered for my first one !

I see many "rules" etc... being discussed here.

Would it be acceptable to use my mtb, spend about 5 hours on the route and just enjoy the atmosphere and scenery ?

No !!

And why would you do that ??

15 hours ago, Shebeen said:

exhibit B.

once again a smoking ballie, 60-64, he did a 2:48 from 2F

image.png.578ab2e1d8b83901a56ecd3ba7c7f278.png

bit hard to confirm but it looks like he was carrying a spare battery on his toptube

image.png.233d06feb78c0b1ebbe6a272641c12e7.png

but definitely see the ttbars on the handlebar and the spare tyre

image.png.8c7d0ba56102af02978b0faa57988854.png

aero is everything

Now I get upset with the TT bars. That rule is very clear on the use of those ????

9 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Now I get upset with the TT bars. That rule is very clear on the use of those ????

In instances like this I am always reminded of the lady who was about to win the gold medal at the Olympics for the walking marathon (I think it was Athens) when she received her 2nd yellow and thus, red card as she entered the stadium 400m from the end.

Is it not possible to have a few roving officials who can pull you off the course if they spot TT bars or other dodgy or illegal things?

30 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

In instances like this I am always reminded of the lady who was about to win the gold medal at the Olympics for the walking marathon (I think it was Athens) when she received her 2nd yellow and thus, red card as she entered the stadium 400m from the end.

Is it not possible to have a few roving officials who can pull you off the course if they spot TT bars or other dodgy or illegal things?

I think this adds to the cost of the race overall, so they might not consider it. They probably convince themselves that it's not hurting anyone. But if organisers are showing such complacency in rules, next step up with would something completely bonkers. They are setting a dangerous precedent.