Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

38 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

R650 again to do the second lap? Not for me thanks. 

So I qualified for this but I’m starting in 1C. According to the email, you must have crossed the line for the second lap by 9:45 for the latest. I start at 6:45 which means I would need to finish lap 1 around 2:50, which leaves me 10 min to get from the finish back to the start. 

It’s literally throwing away 650 bucks. I’m certain the organizers know this as well so I can’t fathom why they would offer it to someone from 1C. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

So I qualified for this but I’m starting in 1C. According to the email, you must have crossed the line for the second lap by 9:45 for the latest. I start at 6:45 which means I would need to finish lap 1 around 2:50, which leaves me 10 min to get from the finish back to the start. 

It’s literally throwing away 650 bucks. I’m certain the organizers know this as well so I can’t fathom why they would offer it to someone from 1C. 

No one is going to stop you from going onto the route if you are not there by 9h45, think the roads at the start are closed for traffic till 11h30. Worst thing that might happen to you is that you won't get an official time for your second lap if the timing mats are packed away by the time you get there. 

30 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

they extended the invite to riders in 1D as well and we start later. Going by seeding the average 1D rider should be slower than the average 1C rider but there will be riders in these batches that are seeded much lower than what they are capable of and could be there by 9:45.

But yes I agree they are taking chances and hoping 1C and 1D riders will bite even if there is no hope of getting there in time

1 hour ago, Sid the Sloth said:

R650 again to do the second lap? Not for me thanks. 

Basically AUJ...

57 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

No one is going to stop you from going onto the route if you are not there by 9h45, think the roads at the start are closed for traffic till 11h30. Worst thing that might happen to you is that you won't get an official time for your second lap if the timing mats are packed away by the time you get there. 

Meaning do it without paying twice? 👀

Gotcha

5 minutes ago, babse said:

Meaning do it without paying twice? 👀

Gotcha

I went back on route last year up to the first waterpoint. Stopped at the car first to get some food, fresh bottles and take my transponder off the bike... 👀

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I see the questionnaire no longer comes with idle threats of banning and non results for failure to do it.

I might actually fill it in now.

those are reserved for those who get invited for the second lap and ride it without paying.....

you know illegal and all that

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Fish hoek main road could be fun.

In the past the kalk bay main road schedule did work around this date. Who knows if this is an issue or not.

274710944_10158592853377335_3040432786472784513_n.jpg

note they did say completed by 19April 2022

but it might still take 7 years

Seems like substitutions closed on the 21st. 

Sent the CTCT peeps a mail to hear if substitutions will still be entertained. I hope for all contemplating a substitution at this late stage, that they will.

Well im starting with the lowest seeded of my wife’s friends in 8B…at 9:15. I swear thats later than MY very first unseeded one. thank the ghosts i convinced them to pay the discounted ppa membership, otherwise it would have been in the open groups in 9 right at the back at 9:45. i told them we WILL finish before the cutoff…or else😅

ps: they did 0 training….

i’ll be doing a Riddick in Pitch Black. They better keep up haha.

Edited by MORNE

Can someone please clarify something from the CTCT emails:

"Plan to arrive at your Transition Area no more than 10 min before your start time."

And then...

"The Grand Parade is quite exposed, even if the breeze is light and for most the wait in the start chutes will be an hour or more, so don’t forget to pack a lightweight wind-cheater, to stay warm."

To me this implies that if your start time is 7:00, you must arrive at the Transition area at 6:50 (or later). Then you are likely to spend an hour in the start chute, so you actually start at 7:50, nearly an hour after your start time.

To be honest, last year was a bit like that. But I just thought that was a stuff up and an exception. So have I miss-understood something, or have they provided conflicting information, or do you generally end up starting quite a while after your official start time?

I phoned CTCT Race Office. and the friendly but firm answer was that the substitutions has closed, they cannot reopen a link for me. But I can still do a "Late Entry" under the International riders section, and it will only cost a mere R850 to enter. 

So I guess CTCT number 18 is not going to happen this year.

18 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

They should create a special start batch for the 2nd lappers that goes off at, say 10am or 10:15 or whatever. I'm sure there's a lot of the guys that would take the opportunity. There are peeps starting in 9x around 9:30ish that are going to take 6 hours; we'd still easily make all the cut-off times and finish well before them.