Singapore to ban riding groups more than 5 riders long.....

Eldron

Yeah....I see of late the number of riders in the Cradle requiring a team car is on the up. ..the latest being 3 riders wearing Entsika kit needing a Range Rover team car...there are more but this one stands out every weekend. Cars doing 25kmhr are difficult to pass.

Singapore is a heavily congested City/Country. Very little space for cycling although the group my pal rides with does get in some mega rides. Cycling has exploded there so I'm surprised the government has clamped down on groups, although I don't see the point as you can't drive much faster than 60km/hr anyway!

Secondly drivers in Singapore don't want to hit a cyclist because the admin and hurt that comes your way just isn't worth. Licenses for driver and cars are so expensive there.

Bringing it back home, I'd hate to see such a rule here as it will result in more fun rides being used as big group training rides and messing up the natural seeding curve

Edited by DieselnDust

18 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Singapore is a heavily congested City/Country. Very little space for cycling although the group my pal rides with does get in some mega rides. Cycling has exploded there so I'm surprised the government has clamped down on groups, although I don't see the point as you can't drive much faster than 60km/hr anyway!

Secondly drivers in Singapore don't want to hit a cyclist because the admin and hurt that comes your way just isn't worth. Licenses for driver and cars are so expensive there.

Bringing it back home, I'd hate to see such a rule here as it will result in more fun rides being used as big group training rides and messing up the natural seeding curve

If they enforced the 1.5m overtake rule as well as the <10 rider rule we'd have utopian riding in SA!

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

If they enforced the 1.5m overtake rule as well as the <10 rider rule we'd have utopian riding in SA!

Yeah, part of the enjoyment is a group of riders. 10 or less seems like a sad day.

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

Wait ....

What ....

You want both cyclists and drivers to obay rules.

Whats next ....

You want them to show mutual respect to each other .....

Really need CS font .... though it would be nice if the above were possible ....

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

What car do you drive? Mine can easily go faster than that.

Not when there are cyclists 3 to 4 abreast oncoming or cars and trying to overtake a Range Rover

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah, part of the enjoyment is a group of riders. 10 or less seems like a sad day.

Agreed but I figure a bit of compromise from both parties is the sweet spot.

You can't expect motorists to treat you well when you force them to drive at 30kph for endless amounts of time behind your huge group because you want to enjoy a group ride.

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

Not when there are cyclists 3 to 4 abreast oncoming or cars and trying to overtake a Range Rover

Isn't the speed irrelevant when there's oncoming traffic? Surely you simply wait until it's clear and then overtake?

Just now, TNT1 said:

Isn't the speed irrelevant when there's oncoming traffic? Surely you simply wait until it's clear and then overtake?

if only....

14 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah but cyclists riding sensibly at any speed and you can overtake.. said car doing 25kmhr more difficult

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

One thing that struck me about Singapore traffic is that they (1) obey all the road rules and (2) the cars come to a dead stop for pedestrians at pedestrian crossing ... rather awesome.

Just now, Pure Savage said:

It was a late contender, but that article is the dumbest thing I have seen today.

This is impressive because the DC plan concocted on the Whatsapp group today was the dumbest thing I saw today... Surely just start fast and hang on??