Munga 2021

Koos Likkewaan

Seems the backmarkers are doing much better this time around.  Maybe the conditions have been more favourable than previous years or the quality of the field is simply getting better. Really nice to see so few riders behind the dreaded green dot....

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Wonder what that EF Pro Cycling Aussie would've done. Maybe next year. 

I keep thinking that as well ...... would be the first world stage rider to take on the Munga so would have been a nice comparison to the local machines

Hansie Joubert and Kevin Benkenstein are both at RV3.  Kevin got there 5 minutes earlier.

1 minute ago, tux26 said:

Hansie Joubert and Kevin Benkenstein are both at RV3.  Kevin got there 5 minutes earlier.

Tactics gonna be interesting now!

12 minutes ago, BrentCGP said:

Benky and Hansie, 600km in 26 hours.. I literally need to say that to myself a few times before it sinks in. Remarkable. Inspiring. Mal.

What is even scarier is that Rasmus' 2018 record pace is quite far ahead!

Edited by Eldron

1 hour ago, Ossie NL said:

I keep thinking that as well ...... would be the first world stage rider to take on the Munga so would have been a nice comparison to the local machines

I honestly think Lachlan would have won by hours (I think he's even a good level above Ramses), but I also have no doubt his participation would have pushed everyone to another level... really do hope he comes back next year.  Bloody effin covid even stuffing with our dot watching 

Brian Brummer has just arrived at RV3 now.

Kevin has been there for an hour.  After last years Munga he said, "I learnt that with a little more sleep I am actually quite fast", so maybe his plan is to sleep a bit, and then ride faster and catch up with Hansie.

Well did LM really need to fly back or did he chicken out last minute. The Canadian that came for Cape Epic only eventually stayed for W2W and now he is doing the Munga, go figure.

3 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Well did LM really need to fly back or did he chicken out last minute. The Canadian that came for Cape Epic only eventually stayed for W2W and now he is doing the Munga, go figure.

Travel bans meant he probably would be trapped in SA if he had stayed. Same situation I'm facing with my Xmas trip to SA.....

2 hours ago, Cactus said:

Seems the backmarkers are doing much better this time around.  Maybe the conditions have been more favourable than previous years or the quality of the field is simply getting better. Really nice to see so few riders behind the dreaded green dot....

Agreed. I think it was Chantal Wooding last year hovering around the green cut line, and she seems to be going well this year.

I read somewhere that Lachlan is not contracted to EFF for 2022 and is currently without a team.

Not sure if that has changed at this stage or how that will impact his movements

12 minutes ago, walkerr said:

Agreed. I think it was Chantal Wooding last year hovering around the green cut line, and she seems to be going well this year.

Yup, and Chantal is in the company of Danie Hoffmann who was the last official finisher in the 2019 event.

22 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I think LM is about as intimidated of long hours of pain and suffering as Vettie is of a pie... It was just *** timing.

He most likely has plans for Christmas and loved ones to be be with - they're still people (when they get off the bike)

We hold thumbs for next year