Munga 2021

Koos Likkewaan

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Do they not have available chamois cream at the stop stations? I see some guys pack quite a bit of stuff. I want to see what is available at the water points. 

Easiest way to see what they have is to enter and ride to one ... the home made snacks and boeries are delicious. :)

(although personally, I don't use chamois cream - small jar/tube of Sudocrem is enough for a couple of weeks riding for me)

Edited by walkerr

2 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Just need the 20 odd K for it. Would love to do it. Absolutely. My lack of wanting to find a job is the setback I currently have!!

FYI, now you can "work" towards that entry (Sorry, it is a copy paste from downloaded document on their website)☺

Munga volunteer program

General principles.

The Munga exists to be a blessing to our riders, the communities we go through and those that follow our brand. This includes our volunteers. We understand that there is a place for non-paid volunteer work but that is not the Munga. Unless you absolutely insist, all our volunteers get paid.

Below describes how the program works. How to join the volunteer program: Simply send an email to info@themunga.com, and ask to join the program. We will respond and assess where and how to best use you. This will depend on how much time you have and just how much you want to be involved in.

Types of volunteers:

There are two categories of Munga volunteers.

Category A (Cat A): - This person volunteers to help man one of the 10 water-points on Munga, or one of the 4 water-points on Grit, or this person volunteers to assist as a race village lead at one of the five race villages in the Munga or the two race villages in the Munga Grit. - Cat A volunteers get paid R300 per 24 hour shift, with a minimum payment of R300. -

Typically, Cat A volunteers have their petrol and accommodation costs reimbursed.

Category B (Cat B): - This person volunteers to assist with shorter requirements such as registration, race start, finish line duties etc. - Cat B volunteers get paid R150 per calendar day, regardless if they are used for 1 hour or 8. - Typically, Cat B volunteers stay close to the race start and finish venues, and cover their own petrol and accommodation costs.

Volunteer rewards:

This system describes how a Munga Volunteer can work towards a free entry into either the Munga or Munga Grit. -

A free Munga entry is worth 15 points. -

A free Grit entry is worth 5 points.

You accumulate points by volunteering for any Munga or Grit race.

Munga and Grit races have the following points value: Cat A is worth 1 point per day. (24 hours). Cat B is worth 0.5 points per day. (1-8 hours) So while you wont pay off an entry in your first race as a volunteer, if this is something that seriously attracts you and you cannot afford our entry fee, within 3 years you could pay off an entry into the Munga!

After each race, we require each volunteer to send us an audit of how many hours they worked and we will secure it in our repository so it adds up!

21 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Another warm day to start proceedings.....

image.png.be5abb972c1a5bdcbb32f6c620e21df5.png

Looks quite chilly by Munga standards - where are the 45C+ temps to make it properly hard ... :)

No doubt they have some extra heat planned for the days beyond.

20 minutes ago, walkerr said:

Looks quite chilly by Munga standards - where are the 45C+ temps to make it properly hard ... :)

No doubt they have some extra heat planned for the days beyond.

Not quite the Karoo, here in Upington our night temperature and early mornings are on average 5degrees less than the norm.

I still go out with long sleeve shirt on the morning jog even a beanie this morning.

My point is, I expect the same for the Karoo and the participants can be caught of guard equipment wise.

6 minutes ago, Roul said:

Weight isn't mentioned but will also have an impact on the times.  But lekker to see some form experimentation going on.

Unless their batteries die, I'd doubt that will come into play.

My bet is that reliability could become a factor, That Karoo dust & terrain has killed off many a suspension linkage or fork - who knows what havoc it might play with all those extra parts in play.

10 minutes ago, walkerr said:

Unless their batteries die, I'd doubt that will come into play.

My bet is that reliability could become a factor, That Karoo dust & terrain has killed off many a suspension linkage or fork - who knows what havoc it might play with all those extra parts in play.

Imagine you need to rely on the battery "too much" due to a prolonged headwind.  If that beast dies, it will be like a anchor around your neck.