Munga 2021

Koos Likkewaan

3 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Imagine you need to rely on the battery "too much" due to a prolonged headwind.  If that beast dies, it will be like a anchor around your neck.

Ouch - hurts even thinking about it. Pilling into a gale around Loxton lugging a ton of dead battery weight!

The article has some interesting comments about needing to stay in Eco mode and not cane the battery too much. Interesting if different take on the usual Munga endurance story of keeping the body from draining itself.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - considering they had a 3 hour headstart, those e-bikes really aren't far ahead of the lead riders now.

Edited by walkerr

6 minutes ago, walkerr said:

Wow - considering they had a 3 hour headstart, those e-bikes really aren't far ahead of the lead riders now.

From my experience riding with mates on ebikes, unless you going up (yes I’m big) flat they must work, esp after 24km/h

my BIL put on bigger gearing after our first ride out

rides like the epic obvious day night difference

i would gladly race an ebike over 150km rolling no hectic climbs if he doesn’t have a spare battery ????????????

Edited by DIPSLICK

8 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

i would gladly race an ebike over 150km rolling no hectic climbs if he doesn’t have a spare battery ????????????

According to the article - they do each have a spare battery, but still said they needed to ride cautiously to avoid running out.

Different topic, does anyone know if Steunmekaar Spaza is still there? Doesn't look to be anyone stopping at that spot based on the tracks.

Last comment 14hrs ago........and the Munga is on right now. What's happening folks? Is everyone too busy dot watching or something? ????

Looks like Kevin and Hansie are off to a good start. Go manne! 

5 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Last comment 14hrs ago........and the Munga is on right now. What's happening folks? Is everyone too busy dot watching or something? ????

Looks like Kevin and Hansie are off to a good start. Go manne! 

I can tell you that the enthusiasts are still following the dots but are no longer using bikehub. 

Watching dots - but also keeping a hand on my day job, so less time to post. Looks like a fast pace out front this year. Middle of the pack has a lot of riders in it too.

11 minutes ago, shova1 said:

Er, looks like HJ is actually 1km up the road from KB.......

Amazing progress - course record could be under threat at this rate.

You have to look at last Track point time to judge. HJ is showing further ahead, but KBs last track point is 2 mins older than HJ, so the gap can be narrower than it appears.

17 minutes ago, shova1 said:

Er, looks like HJ is actually 1km up the road from KB.......

nah I think its just how their trackers update

Heard somewhere in the windy soundtrack of a group ride that two ultra endurance ouens cycled from Cape Town to the start of the event.Anyone know about this? 

10 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Heard somewhere in the windy soundtrack of a group ride that two ultra endurance ouens cycled from Cape Town to the start of the event.Anyone know about this? 

Yep - Nico Coetzee and Chris van Zyl.

Both tracking well now on the race itself too. The TL website wasn't up and running fully, so their track logs don't show the first part from CT.

Edited by walkerr