Rant - Device software updates

The Ouzo

First let me state I'm all for software updates. Fixing bugs and getting new features to keep a device or app alive is great.

But I have a rant, and whilst this one is aimed at Garmin they are definitely not the only guilty party here.

I hate updates that screw things up, be it setting or the introduction of bugs. And Garmin are guilty of both.

My Edge 130 started giving me issues with the battery the other day. I have since discovered that it was after a software update but first let me explain.

My normal usage on weekdays is to grab it from my charging drawer on a Tuesday, put it on the bike and do a ride. When I'm done riding I simply hang the bike up in the garage, Garmin still on. Normally this is fine for my 3 1 hour weekly rides and a Saturday 1 hour ride, I will then charge it Saturday to be fresh for sunday's longer ride.

But a week back saw me try and turn the Garmin on on the wednesday after having ridden on the tuesday, the device would turn on, battery indicator showed no bars and then it turned off.. I charged it wednesday, skipped the rest of the week and then rode saturday where it was fine. This time I did not charge it for sunday as it had only 1 hours use. Sunday morning it turned on, showed zero battery and turned off. So I rode with a battery pack connected.

This week I did some experimenting. Charged it up and left it, checked it after 1 day, then 2 days, then went for a 1 hour ride on the 3rd day. All was 100%. But something caught my attention, on the 3rd day, after the ride I took it off the bike and had it next to my bed whilst I showered and changed, it was still on, it never turned itself off like it used to. And THAT is where I discovered that the software update must have turned off the Auto Power Off setting.

But that is not the only gremlin with Garmin updates, very often it stuffs up the Auto activation of Live Tracking, something I rely heavily on for the wife to make sure I'm still safe.

Like I said in the beginning of my long winded post, this rant is aimed at Garmin, but they are not the only culprits. Why cant these software updates save your previous user setting first and then restore them back when complete ? Its sort of OK if you discover the setting has changed long before you need it, but most of the times you rely on these things to work, and when they dont its at a time when its to late to fix it right there and then.

Rant over. Back to work.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

First let me state I'm all for software updates. Fixing bugs and getting new features to keep a device or app alive is great.

But I have a rant, and whilst this one is aimed at Garmin they are definitely not the only guilty party here.

I hate updates that screw things up, be it setting or the introduction of bugs. And Garmin are guilty of both.

My Edge 130 started giving me issues with the battery the other day. I have since discovered that it was after a software update but first let me explain.

My normal usage on weekdays is to grab it from my charging drawer on a Tuesday, put it on the bike and do a ride. When I'm done riding I simply hang the bike up in the garage, Garmin still on. Normally this is fine for my 3 1 hour weekly rides and a Saturday 1 hour ride, I will then charge it Saturday to be fresh for sunday's longer ride.

But a week back saw me try and turn the Garmin on on the wednesday after having ridden on the tuesday, the device would turn on, battery indicator showed no bars and then it turned off.. I charged it wednesday, skipped the rest of the week and then rode saturday where it was fine. This time I did not charge it for sunday as it had only 1 hours use. Sunday morning it turned on, showed zero battery and turned off. So I rode with a battery pack connected.

This week I did some experimenting. Charged it up and left it, checked it after 1 day, then 2 days, then went for a 1 hour ride on the 3rd day. All was 100%. But something caught my attention, on the 3rd day, after the ride I took it off the bike and had it next to my bed whilst I showered and changed, it was still on, it never turned itself off like it used to. And THAT is where I discovered that the software update must have turned off the Auto Power Off setting.

But that is not the only gremlin with Garmin updates, very often it stuffs up the Auto activation of Live Tracking, something I rely heavily on for the wife to make sure I'm still safe.

Like I said in the beginning of my long winded post, this rant is aimed at Garmin, but they are not the only culprits. Why cant these software updates save your previous user setting first and then restore them back when complete ? Its sort of OK if you discover the setting has changed long before you need it, but most of the times you rely on these things to work, and when they dont its at a time when its to late to fix it right there and then.

Rant over. Back to work.

Garmin updates suck.

An Update once bricked my 1000. Had to send it back for warranty. They blamed my computer, my internet connection, everything. Google search showed it was happening world wide.

Solution. Don't update the device.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Rant over. Back to work.

Agree with you completely.  The settings before update must be restored, no exception.

2 hours ago, bullet77 said:

My rant about a device is my phone. It needed an update and restart recently, no problem, but on restart it told me my 4 digit pin is incorrect. It turns out that the update reverted the pin back to default. Default pin is the pin on the card with the puc number. 

phones are also an issue, but much less so. generally it will only be a particular app that is a problem.

What I dont enjoy though is this

11pm - app store says 11 apps need updating. No problem hit update.

5am - app store says 7 apps need updating. WTF? And some app seem to want to update weekly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, ouzo said:

phones are also an issue, but much less so. generally it will only be a particular app that is a problem.

What I dont enjoy though is this

11pm - app store says 11 apps need updating. No problem hit update.

5am - app store says 7 apps need updating. WTF? And some app seem to want to update weekly.

just set it to auto update and you never have to worry about how many updates there are 

46 minutes ago, BigDL said:

just set it to auto update and you never have to worry about how many updates there are 

but then I have to worry about WHEN it updates and on WHICH network its trying to do the updates

If my apps on my phone is working it never is getting an update only when some serious functions is missing from an update then only I will update.
They create these update on android to support for all the versions of Android and makes of phones so it is not to say that your phone does require the update. just my 2c

43 minutes ago, ouzo said:

but then I have to worry about WHEN it updates and on WHICH network its trying to do the updates

If it's an iPhone, just set it to update on wifi only if you're worried about data. 

21 minutes ago, Jensie said:

If my apps on my phone is working it never is getting an update only when some serious functions is missing from an update then only I will update.
They create these update on android to support for all the versions of Android and makes of phones so it is not to say that your phone does require the update. just my 2c

Edited by BigDL

21 minutes ago, Jensie said:

That's the challenge with an operating system that is trying to support so much different hardware and systems I suppose. 

6 hours ago, BigDL said:

If it's an iPhone, just set it to update on wifi only if you're worried about data. 

Same same with Android :thumbup: