Brake Rotors - quality/performance vs price

Bjorn881

Had Hope rotors across three different bikes, they've been amazing without any compatibility issues fortunately. That said it's also been with the same Hope brakeset. Currently with centre lock Shimano which are fine, but not amazing, these are paired with a new set of Baradine pads. They're quite blingy with a gold backing plate.  

Rotors and pads are generally only as good as their pairing, fall short on one and the other won't work as well.

Heard good things about the Galfer stuff, keen to try those next. 

Ran Quaxar rotors and Baradine pads (both sintered and semi metalic) with my Guide RS brakes. No turkey warbling, no squeeling and no overheating on long descents. 

Good pricepoint and good performance. Win win.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Had Hope rotors across three different bikes, they've been amazing without any compatibility issues fortunately. That said it's also been with the same Hope brakeset. Currently with centre lock Shimano which are fine, but not amazing, these are paired with a new set of Baradine pads. They're quite blingy with a gold backing plate.  

Rotors and pads are generally only as good as their pairing, fall short on one and the other won't work as well.

Heard good things about the Galfer stuff, keen to try those next. 

Alot of the mid level hope stuff is actually made by galfer , their brand is printed small on the back of the pads that come oem with the brake sets

12 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Alot of the mid level hope stuff is actually made by galfer , their brand is printed small on the back of the pads that come oem with the brake sets

Yes that's right, it's actually how I first made contact with them. They do a lot of motosport as well. 

Edited by Danger Dassie

22 hours ago, Meezo said:

Ride slower like me, nothing wrong with baradines

IMO Baradine make awesome semi metallic pads for a great price.

25 minutes ago, love2fly said:

IMO Baradine make awesome semi metallic pads for a great price.

Where can these be obtained?

I've always bought them from Solomons ( Woodmead@) but of late been out of stock. Funnily enough Sportsmans Warehouse keep some of the range but apparently not the Sram Level TL I need although haven't checked in 2 months...

On 11/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Jewbacca said:

Sorry, the 2 piece jobby

rotor.jpg

+1.

I have also had Hope floaters...3 sets actually. You bought my red ones back then lol. I've been on these shimano's on my last two bikes....6 bolt and also centre lock versions.  They just work and they are awesome. I also like their understated look....they look less blingy than normal 'non floaty' rotors imo and i like how they present on a wheel. They look at home on road bikes, mtb's and gravel bikes imo. 

Try your local shop - some have stock in the back that online retailers don't... I have used Shimano and non Shimano rotors. Shimano RT66  in 203 work just fine and are a far better price than SRAM as you say. I'm using a RT66 up front and a SRAM centerline 200 out back with older XT brakes. They work fine but I question some peoples comments re aftermarket brake pads. Jagwire/Qauxar and suchlike work, but there is no substitute for OEM. Then again, SRAM pads are such a rip off, I'd never pay those prices. 

Edited by Headshot