Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

What to the experienced guys do about keeping upper legs and midrift dry & layered up - I've seen the suggestion of 2 bib shorts - which is gonna make you look like you have a nappy on and i would imagine you ass will be very mobile on the seat while pedaling. 

I've layered up upper body and have keep dry solution - proper rain jacket + plastic Poncho + (space blanket poncho + normal space blanket in my backpack) for if the k$k hits the fan

Hands & arms sorted

Feet sorted.

I'm now actually thinking of making up plastic legs to go under my leg warmers - My wife says I've lost my sh%t and need therapy 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, madmarc said:

What to the experienced guys do about keeping upper legs and midrift dry & layered up - I've seen the suggestion of 2 bib shorts - which is gonna make you look like you have a nappy on and i would imagine you ass will be very mobile on the seat while pedaling. 

I've layered up upper body and have keep dry solution - proper rain jacket + plastic Poncho + (space blanket poncho + normal space blanket in my backpack) for if the k$k hits the fan

Hands & arms sorted

Feet sorted.

I'm now actually thinking of making up plastic legs to go under my leg warmers - My wife says I've lost my sh%t and need therapy 

I've found that as long as my hands and core are warm I'm good. 

Legs are constantly in motion so less likely to freeze up.

Neck, ears and nose can also get seriously awkward in proper cold. 

I have an old set of fleece lined leg warmers, which have done the business in sub 10' snow/wet/cold in Freedom Challenge and various ARs all over in some proper cold. Tucked into either neoprene booties or seal skin socks they are good. 

Edited by Jewbacca

37 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Hands & arms sorted

Feet sorted.

I'm going with baggies over the bib and then leg warmers. The nether regions are quiet exposed otherwise yes 🤏

3 hours ago, Stefan_29 said:

Or move it to Sunday perhaps 😀 Doing my second one on Saturday and really worried about the weather, bought a proper rain jacket and also packing pretty much every piece of cycling kit that I own.

What are chances of the event being cancelled should the conditions be too extreme? 

if the weather becomes worse than the past weekend they will rather delay start than to cancel. I've been at enough of their events to know they don't just cancel for extreme weather.

5 hours ago, Help.Me. said:

If I look at the weather forecast for the weekend it looks pretty much the same than the previous weekends weather...rain from Willowmore right through to Jbay....

sadly it looks like it's getting worse if I compare yesterday to what is being predicted today for Saturday. 

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

Hands & arms sorted

Feet sorted.

At Trans Augrabies two riders wrapped their feet and lower legs in plastic wrap ....

This was for those water crossings at the start ....

First water point they unwrapped themselves.

Fine for 15km .... not so sure of 15 hours ....

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I've found that as long as my hands and core are warm I'm good. 

Legs are constantly in motion so less likely to freeze up.

Neck, ears and nose can also get seriously awkward in proper cold. 

I have an old set of fleece lined leg warmers, which have done the business in sub 10' snow/wet/cold in Freedom Challenge and various ARs all over in some proper cold. Tucked into either neoprene booties or seal skin socks they are good. 

Where do you buy these fleece lined items ?

After completing the past race I would strongly recommend decent gloves and a proper rain jacket. We saw riders that couldn't even shift gears or take a bite with clogged up hands. Our stops was brief at CP 1,2 and 3 in order to stay warm on the bike. We kept on reminding each other to eat and drink and just focused on reaching the next CP.  The water crossings was actually pleasant,  it felt warm. Even before we started I could tell which teams were not going to make it. With the right attitude and mindset you will be fine. Good luck and enjoy 

11 minutes ago, wessie12 said:

After completing the past race I would strongly recommend decent gloves and a proper rain jacket. We saw riders that couldn't even shift gears or take a bite with clogged up hands. Our stops was brief at CP 1,2 and 3 in order to stay warm on the bike. We kept on reminding each other to eat and drink and just focused on reaching the next CP.  The water crossings was actually pleasant,  it felt warm. Even before we started I could tell which teams were not going to make it. With the right attitude and mindset you will be fine. Good luck and enjoy 

couldn't shift aka couldn't hold on... and here in the BIG danger.

cold water feeling warm, aka onset of Hypothermia.

with proper WATER PROOF layer it also becomes a air proof layer keeping cold air of the body... and at the same time trap warm air between skin and the layer (very similar to scuba wet suit, where the body warms the layer of water).

G

7 hours ago, milky4130 said:

My suggestion is that if it rains and you really want to do it then the organizers should move the start out to 10am like previous years at least the temperature will be double digits from then on.

Couldn’t agree more - can’t see any reason for the organisers sticking to the early start - multiple successful prior years starting at 10

All my previous races started at 10am and they were chilly but warmed up quickly

My next years commitment will be dependent on the start time 

25 minutes ago, lone one said:

Couldn’t agree more - can’t see any reason for the organisers sticking to the early start - multiple successful prior years starting at 10

All my previous races started at 10am and they were chilly but warmed up quickly

My next years commitment will be dependent on the start time 

Not sure on the reasoning but I almost think it was implemented for Covid Curfew Restrictions & now they've just decided to stick to it after curfew restrictions have been uplifted, maybe someone in the know can confirm?

18 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Not sure on the reasoning but I almost think it was implemented for Covid Curfew Restrictions & now they've just decided to stick to it after curfew restrictions have been uplifted, maybe someone in the know can confirm?

it was implemented due to Covid curfew restrictions. The idea was to have the bulk of riders finish before midnight curfew. Those not making it would have to overnight at the check points.

I heard they kept it due to the requests from participants enjoying the Baviaanskloof during daylight hours, the majority finshing before 6am and still having enough time to sleep and head back to their homes 5 hours earlier

Edited by DieselnDust

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

it was implemented due to Covid curfew restrictions. The idea was to have the bulk of riders finish before midnight curfew. Those not making it would have to overnight at the check points.

I heard they kept it due to the requests from participants enjoying the Baviaanskloof during daylight hours, the majority finshing before 6am and still having enough time to sleep and head back to their homes 5 hours earlier

The buffalo in the reserve might be another reason to move it forward. Easier to monitor in the daylight

Best i can suggest is get the layering right. Water proof on the OUTSIDE, warmer stuff on the inside. Try and keep "breathing" of layers from time to time. I really like the glad wrap for that rocky water crossing before fangs. "Easy " to put on, and taking off and shoving in pocket somewhere afterwards.

Done a couple of TB but not sure what i would have done in those conditions. Glad everyone is safe, . And to the madmarc ones this week, good luck! Prepare and enjoy the experience.