Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

Looking back on last week, there may have been one or two things that I would have done differently, but this is just my opinion and what works for me.

I started with thick gloves and put my thinner, long gloves in the box at CP2. Yes, it is cold. Very cold! However, thinking back, I would have been better off by starting with a pair of thin long gloves and a pair of surgical gloves inside. If you have spare thin long gloves, put a fresh set (along with new surgical ones) in each of the boxes you will use. The thick gloves are awesome when dry, but when drenched, your entire "feel" on the handlebar, shifter and brake is crap.

Clingwrap your shoes. It will keep the chill off your toes. Just be sure to get the non-perforated type.

Start with fresh brake pads and possibly have your brakes bled before the race. You do not want to be forced to crawl every downhill because your lever is against your handlebar.

Mudguards... Get one for your fork. The type that attaches under your crown. Your fork stanchions and your face will love you! Also get one that attaches to the bottom of your seat. Your bum and fellow riders will love you! I use this on the road and regret not having it at the Race: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/polisport-s-mud-guard/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyrae26LN-QIVA7DtCh0UTQMSEAQYASABEgL0QfD_BwE

You will get a tiny bottle of lube with your goodies at the start. Take that with, as not all waterpoints have lube.

If your bike can take 2 bottles, fill one with water. You will need it to rinse your glasses (and possibly drivetrain before applying lube between checkpoints). Don't ride with your glasses off. Being able to see something through dirty glasses is better than not being able to open your eyes! Go buy yourself a cheap pair of safety glasses from Dromex. They are as cheap as chips. There won't be much sun, so leave your expensive sunnies to fight another day.

After CP2 (sosaties and wors) at the water crossing, try to keep left. It isn't as deep as the right. I learned the hard way and also got caught in some thorn bush on the right!

I wouldn't ride tires too soft. Quite a few rocky sections on the downhills that can damage rims.

The section between pakhuis and neverender is in terrible condition. The surface there reminded me of the wet clay sections of ATP a few weeks back.

At around 190km the road forks. It is unmarked, keep left. There is an unmanned cp a few km later. Remember to get your sticker.

Don't think there was anything else specific worth mentioning, except to go there with a positive mindset and to listen to your teammates! You are in this together after all!

Enjoy!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it was an Epic (pardon) ride that snuck up on some and lots was learnt about riding in the cold and wet, painfully so for some.  I paid my dues in a wet Sani when it was still in Feb (how cold can it get - very cold it turned out). We were immersing ourselves in the streams to try get mud and leaves off the clogged wheels. All good while pedalling but my partner destroyed his derailleur 5km from the finish and we nearly froze to death trying to fix it, teeth chattering, Shrek collected us and I am still thawing out.

My lessons learnt: I now ride with nitrile surgical gloves and a space blanket in my Camelbak, always. A really good thermal base layer is good (was Helly Hansen (wish I could get), now a silver lined Columbia) but I feel better than the CUM / First Ascent. A cold weather Buff is also helpful.  In Lesotho I often ride with a spare, dry base layer in my CamelBak, just in case.

Other excellent advice already given.

40 minutes ago, LongDonkey said:

Best i can suggest is get the layering right. Water proof on the OUTSIDE, warmer stuff on the inside. Try and keep "breathing" of layers from time to time. I really like the glad wrap for that rocky water crossing before fangs. "Easy " to put on, and taking off and shoving in pocket somewhere afterwards.

Done a couple of TB but not sure what i would have done in those conditions. Glad everyone is safe, . And to the madmarc ones this week, good luck! Prepare and enjoy the experience.

going to bang this drum again, but layering is useless if you get wet. if it is going to be rainy, ride with a waterproof jacket with a hood, and use it. doesn't matter how hydrophobic and breathable your fancy outer shell is if you have a gutter of water flowing down your head.

fingers are more of a mental game, bog standard cycling gloves just get wet and then you have windchill on them.

out there options if you don't have anything handy here -

go to your local padlding/fishing shop and get some actual neoprene gloves

https://www.takealot.com/snowbee-s13141-light-weight-neoprene-glove-large/PLID73418665

dish washing gloves under your normal gloves, sweats like a bitch but that's better than freezing!

these could be pretty handy under your gloves (if they're big enough), can someone road test this option please?!

https://www.justmedical.co.za/product/nitrile-neoprene-gloves-reusable/ 

In regards to gloves, you get these waterproof gloves at motorbike shops, that you can pull over any standard glove.  They are 100% waterproof and also keep out the cold.  I have used them this week and last week in Cape Town (and many years commuting in Cape Town winters) and you can access your brakes, gears etc.  They also have a sort of a leather thingy on the grip side, so grip is also not an issue.

And they are pretty cheap in comparison... 

Will do photos if anyone is keen on a closer looksee.

15 minutes ago, The Commuter said:

In regards to gloves, you get these waterproof gloves at motorbike shops, that you can pull over any standard glove.  They are 100% waterproof and also keep out the cold.  I have used them this week and last week in Cape Town (and many years commuting in Cape Town winters) and you can access your brakes, gears etc.  They also have a sort of a leather thingy on the grip side, so grip is also not an issue.

And they are pretty cheap in comparison... 

Will do photos if anyone is keen on a closer looksee.

20220817_101114.jpg

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Sounds like it was an Epic (pardon) ride that snuck up on some and lots was learnt about riding in the cold and wet, painfully so for some.  I paid my dues in a wet Sani when it was still in Feb (how cold can it get - very cold it turned out). We were immersing ourselves in the streams to try get mud and leaves off the clogged wheels. All good while pedalling but my partner destroyed his derailleur 5km from the finish and we nearly froze to death trying to fix it, teeth chattering, Shrek collected us and I am still thawing out.

My lessons learnt: I now ride with nitrile surgical gloves and a space blanket in my Camelbak, always. A really good thermal base layer is good (was Helly Hansen (wish I could get), now a silver lined Columbia) but I feel better than the CUM / First Ascent. A cold weather Buff is also helpful.  In Lesotho I often ride with a spare, dry base layer in my CamelBak, just in case.

Other excellent advice already given.

Which Camelbak do you use ?

The Classic certainly dont have enough packing space.

I am tempted to get the Rogue .... 

I often start in 4 degrees, before windchill.   Easy to layer up .... but when the temperature rises to the mid 20's those layers needs packing space.

Certainly less of an issue for TB where the temperature stays low.

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

If anyone needs to borrow a large wetsuit for the weekend I can guarantee it will keep you warm

you might sweat to death but you won’t get cold 🤣

That's not the same one you peed in at 10ft Vic Bay just recently???

Edited by capediver

48 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Which Camelbak do you use ?

The Classic certainly dont have enough packing space.

I am tempted to get the Rogue .... 

I often start in 4 degrees, before windchill.   Easy to layer up .... but when the temperature rises to the mid 20's those layers needs packing space.

Certainly less of an issue for TB where the temperature stays low.

I have an old Mule. Starting from the top and memory (then I checked); cell phone, spare cable, small custom first aid kit, waterproof bag for phone, cable ties (too many), CD for mirror (??), Lezyne pump, part toilet roll, duct tape & space blanket.  Front; specs, asthma pump, Leatherman, money, cards etc, chain lube, sunscreen, puncture repair kit+tubeless valve, black rubbish bags & nitrile gloves. Between the two compartments; spare tube, multi tool, plugs & CO2 kit; ICE bangle on one strap. Usually 1 to 2 litres liquid in a 3 litre bladder.  Still a little space 😁.

One of the problems with 'waterproof' gloves is ingress from the arms. Once water gets in from above they are useless. 

The nature of bike riding, how we sit on the bike, change grip when climbing/descending and don't go fast enough to displace pooling means that water will get in while you change grip etc. 

Neoprene gloves are the answer in proper cold, wet and windy conditions as they will keep your hands warm after they inevitably get wet.

Good luck to those rolling out this weekend. It's going to be a fantastic challenge. 

It's up to you to make the kick in the groin as bearable as possible

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

One of the problems with 'waterproof' gloves is ingress from the arms. Once water gets in from above they are useless. 

The nature of bike riding, how we sit on the bike, change grip when climbing/descending and don't go fast enough to displace pooling means that water will get in while you change grip etc. 

Neoprene gloves are the answer in proper cold, wet and windy conditions as they will keep your hands warm after they inevitably get wet.

Good luck to those rolling out this weekend. It's going to be a fantastic challenge. 

It's up to you to make the kick in the groin as bearable as possible

I have an entry but I'm too soft to even consider rolling out. I am going to change my spot to become support to the other team mates 

18 hours ago, WaldoZ said:

I'm going with baggies over the bib and then leg warmers. The nether regions are quiet exposed otherwise yes 🤏

Yoh baggies thats soaked in water.... I would rather wear something that dries out quicker. 

1 minute ago, Wil6 said:

Yoh baggies thats soaked in water.... I would rather wear something that dries out quicker. 

You assume stuff will dry out? The MTB baggies I have is quite good though, won't "soak" or be "heavy"... but the point of it is not to keep me dry, its to keep the wind off my mini me.

Just now, WaldoZ said:

You assume stuff will dry out? The MTB baggies I have is quite good though, won't "soak" or be "heavy"... but the point of it is not to keep me dry, its to keep the wind off my mini me.

LOL I hear you. Yeah by the looks of it a later start at 10:00 might be the best option

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

yes and no... because they proper water proof your hands will at least warm the thin layer of liquid, and stay warm. compared to a none waterproof glove where you will get that liquid against the skin, but the air will then blow through the glove cooling everything down to a freeze.
G